IGNORED

Dude Story - WIP

MrFish

8 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

If you have any more screens of the latest progess to share and want to put them up here then cool. (Of course I know you want to keep many aspects of the game as a surprise naturally).

I want to keep it for users, to have a pleasure of discover new locations and elements.

Good luck tweaking the game engine, etc. IMHO the 64K vs 128K min spec for the final game should maybe approached in the same way as Resoup did with PoP in going for a 128K min requirement. Given the various elements of the game you are looking to squeeze in, if the game content and engine benefits from 128k I'd aim for that and create a fantastic game. As opposed to cutting things out in order to squeeze it into 64k.

With all due respect for Rensoup's work on the PoP, and as I'm big fan of the PoP, and I appreciate Atari version of the game, and love it, but I have another point of view on the RAM requirements. I don't imagine Dude Story game to need more memory for better look or more content. Atari can do everything I want in stock 64kB. If I would like to add more content, then I don't see any problem in loading it from a disk drive or from a cartridge. But I think it's not necessary at all.
And for be fair: I have a few Atari XL/XE, and most of them has 1MB expansion, but I want my game to work on every stock Atari XL/XE in PAL and NTSC, and there is no problem to do it.

I'll check Agent USA out.

Oh, this is a classic game which is one of my favourite from a childhood.

Edited by Mq.

No worries re screen shots. 

Yeah I know what you mean. It is great if you can still deliver the game you want and it does run on 64k machines. And loading anything extra if needed. I had gotten the impression you were potentially considering leaving things out to fit it into 64K. As you plan to run a cart version as well that is a bonus. 

I'll check out Agent USA this weekend. 

Best of luck. 

No, I don't consider leaving anything because of fitting it in the memory or not. If you read translated atarionline Polish info, then there was described another problem. I designed too many things for one game, which could be placed in a few next games yet. That was causing scenario growth to unbelievable dimensions, so I realized it was impossible to finish such a game in present century. A month ago I decided to change the scenario, designing everything one more time to give a chance for finishing a game in reasonable time.

Edited by Mq.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...
On 9/23/2022 at 8:40 PM, Mq. said:

No, I don't consider leaving anything because of fitting it in the memory or not. If you read translated atarionline Polish info, then there was described another problem. I designed too many things for one game, which could be placed in a few next games yet. That was causing scenario growth to unbelievable dimensions, so I realized it was impossible to finish such a game in present century. A month ago I decided to change the scenario, designing everything one more time to give a chance for finishing a game in reasonable time.

NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Haha 2

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Major update from Dude Story coder Mq. Amazing work (playable game, just all in Polish - Mq will release an English version soon):

https://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=7370&page=1#Item_2

Just had a play. Great level design and mechanics.

Happy new year :)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Just had a play. Great level design and mechanics.

I just had a quick play too, and it's quite cool.

31 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

playable game, just all in Polish

I'll have to play with a translator in browser...

33 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Major update from Dude Story coder Mq.

Thanks for the heads up. I was just over at AtariOnline last night and this morning (U.S. time), poking around to see if anything new was going on over there, and didn't see anything; but I see he just posted about this a short time ago today.

• Like 1

Here's a translation of the intro that he gives for the download of the game at AtariOnline.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, let's go.

The first version of Dude Story that has complete mechanics and all dependencies working. There is a full story, you can finally complete the entire game, so I'm sharing it.

There are still plans to finish the graphics. There is no animation of the waterfall on the island, there is no graphics in the underwater world, there are no obstacles in the second part of the castle, and the planned intro and outro are missing. However, I have run out of memory and finishing these missing things now requires optimization, so I am providing the game as is, because it is playable, you can complete it normally.

An English-language version will also be created soon.

The aim of the game is to find three treasures and enter the castle's treasury with them - congratulations await you there.

Enjoy playing and Happy New Year!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Mq. Just been watching the posted live vid stream above with gameplay. Took a few screenshots.

I am super impressed at the amount of content you have gotten into 64k. 

Also your use of colours and DLi's makes a massive difference. The darker stark colours of stone with coloured glass windows are great. (Reminds me of the up and coming l'abbaye des morts use of DLi's in it's stained glass windows.)

Animations of things like lit torches on walls is great. Attention to detail is fantastic. 

The in game characters you meet on the way and in game puzzles give it an extra level of dimension/gameplay mechanic. I'll wait for the English version so I can get the most out of it. 

Seriously good work. You can tell this took you 4 years of your time. 👏

Screenshot_20240101_090052.jpg

Screenshot_20240101_085744.jpg

Screenshot_20240101_085711.jpg

Screenshot_20240101_085554.jpg

Screenshot_20240101_085508.jpg

Edit: just posting your reply from the Atari online.pl thread here also (hope you don't mind?). It's great a cart release as well as digital download will be available in future. 

Quote from Mq:

"I wanted to finish the game in 2023. The main motivation is the fact that I am already building another game in my head, but I didn't want to start it before I finish Dude Story.
Another thing is that I started writing the game in December 2019, so in December 2023, 4 years have passed. I guess that's enough.

Throughout December, I fought several hours a day to finish. Without this motivation that I imposed on myself, I was afraid that I would never finish this game, and thus I would not be able to play the next ones. That's why it was so important to me and because even though the game is missing some graphic elements and the introduction and ending, I wanted to put it together in such a way that the entire plot was coherent and that all the dependencies worked 100% and the game could be played. go all the way to the end. And that's right, the game is complete in terms of story.

Within a few days, I will try to make some minor corrections and publish the game in the English version as well, because there are a lot of texts in the game that are important and need to be read because they contain important tips on what to do.

It is possible that some bugs will be discovered during user testing - please let me know about this. I anticipate a revision version in the near future, and then, after some time, also a cartridge version, to which an intro and a more extensive ending will be added. This version will also be available as a downloadable file, it will also fit in a single xex file, and it will still work on a standard Atari with 64kB RAM, but I ran out of memory a bit at the very end, so now I have to struggle to optimize the code and I have to turn everything upside down again to accommodate what else I had planned, which didn't work in this version."

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I prepared English version of the game. This is exactly the same game as I published yesterday 2023-12-31 on Polish forum.

This is not a demo, this is a full game which you can play till the end and see congratulations there.

I attach here both versions Polish and English.

In the near future I will work yet a little on improvements the missing graphics elements and enemies in second part of the castle and in the water, but first I must refactor the code to achieve some free memory space for it. So for now the game is as is, but stay tuned for future version 1.1 with improvements, and then for version 2.0 on cartridge.

DudeStoryEN.xex DudeStoryPL.xex

• Like 14
  • Thanks 13

2024 is looking promising...............😁

This is awesome looking new game in 2024.

Me and my daughter 11y. old is trying to play this but apparently we're not used to the classic Atari joystick is there any code cheats available 😷

Anyways I've got WAV Rambit Turbo (EN ver- Thanks to TURGEN Software) version avalible here for Tape lovers 2:27 load time.

DudeStoryEN.zip

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chri O. said:

2024 is looking promising...............😁

This is awesome looking new game in 2024.

Me and my daughter 11y. old is trying to play this but apparently we're not used to the classic Atari joystick is there any code cheats available 😷

Anyways I've got WAV Rambit Turbo (EN ver- Thanks to TURGEN Software) version avalible here for Tape lovers 2:27 load time.

DudeStoryEN.zip 249.72 kB · 0 downloads

Heh Heh, game is out for less that 24hrs and already a cheat code request. 😉

• Haha 2

@Chri O.Just out of curiosity - and forgive me for asking - but why would you want to miss all the fun of discovering the games secrets, storyline and beating it so soon after it has been released? 😉 Might I suggest you have a play some more and the reward of beating the game will be far greater than cheating your way through. The game is 4 years in the making after all. (Tbh I don't think Mq would have any codes to release so soon anyway, or for that matter may not even want to. Maybe there aren't any cheat codes). 

I've played it a while this eve and am gradually getting used to how to get past some of the more trickier 'spider heavy' screens. It's a challenge, but then again I've played Prince of Persia which is one of the more challenging platformers.😁

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Thanks 1