IGNORED

Dude Story - WIP

MrFish

6 minutes ago, MrFish said:
9 minutes ago, Mq. said:

But these are not separate PAL and NTSC versions. The game supports both systems automatically. The Polish and English versions are identical, the only difference is the translation of the text into English.

I didn't realize that: I thought there were separate versions for each. I guess I didn't read the fine print.

It may be a matter of lack of marketing... I was focusing on writing the game, and I forgot to tell people what the game actually is, what it can do, what it is for and what you need to do to beat it🙂

6 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Great to hear about Mq-workshop brand. I've loved all the games that have come out so far. Bocianu's Flob is one of the best games to come out on the Atari, alongside Dude Story. :) 

The idea of releasing games on cartridges came from the fact that I am an electronics engineer and I designed the cartridge while writing the game Dude Story just for this game. Although the cartridge is universal and you can release various games on it, of course. Since Dude Story was in development for a very long time, and in the meantime I met Bocianu, who was just finishing work on the FloB game, we decided to publish his game together on my cartridge. That's how it all started. We became friends with Bocianu, who later helped create stickers, covers and instructions for all subsequent games. Bocianu also drew the cover and the rest of the printing for Tensor and Scorch. I think he will also create graphics for the physical edition of Dude Story (if he agrees). But I will create a separate thread about the physical edition of Dude Story in due course. This still requires some work on expansions for the cartridge version of the game and various preparations for release.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ok, 1.1 version of the game is ready in both languages: Polish and English.

Both versions are the same game working in both systems PAL and NTSC. Only difference between PL and EN versions is text translation.

I am attaching the xex, atr and cas files, you can choose whatever you like.

I attach below list of changes compared to previous version. The 1.1 version should have no bugs, and should be final, complete version.

Dude Story - version 1.1

Ready changes:

Finished and corrected graphics:
- pile of stones, frog, skeleton, waterfall, treasure chests
- underwater world

Fixes and improvements:
- fixed bug when collecting items while jumping (sometimes there was a glitch left over the hero's sprites)
- bug fix when the joystick was moved up and down at the same time (this caused damage to sprites)
- fixed bug of playing incorrect music in some maps after losing a life
- improved handling of pickaxe use
- fix for a bug that allowed shortcuts to collect the oar
- fix for accidental oar throwing bug
- "jump" inscription moved - better visible
- fixed score calculation errors and incorrect dialogues in the Tic-Tac-Toe game
- shortening the game of tic-tac-toe to 6 points + changing the text of the game hints
- improved second castle map, missing enemies added
- another music added to the maps behind the boat
- for the loss of life we get a consolation apple (does not apply to the spider cave)
- added cheatmode (9 lives and full apples at the start)
- added dialogues at the end of the game and drawings of treasures in the vault
- proofreaded English translation in the game

Thanks: marduk, Koala, Bocianu, zbyti, Borsuk, larek, KrzysztofK, stRing, Vidol, salmax, JAC!

DudeStoryEN (2023)(v1.1).atr DudeStoryEN (2023)(v1.1).cas DudeStoryEN (2023)(v1.1).xex DudeStoryPL (2023)(v1.1).atr DudeStoryPL (2023)(v1.1).cas DudeStoryPL (2023)(v1.1).xex

Edited by Mq.
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 15

Spied over at Atari online.pl for anyone wanting these:

https://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=7370&page=3#Item_12

Hope the author (Tebe) of these versions doesn't mind me reposting? 

1. EN DOS + exomizer (tested with DOS II+/D 6.4)
    • 9: tebe
    •  
    • 8 godzin temu zmieniony

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

On what machine did that occur?

for time things altirra XL/64k/NTSC emulator something standard. 😄

8 hours ago, Mq. said:

Yeah, what machine? 100000000000x tested by a lot of people, and it is only one case in the world I think:-) Could it be replicated?

of course a video, I am very lucky 😅

Edited by ascrnet
update video 2
  • Thanks 1

@ascrnet Thank you for the details. I thought that a glitch like this would appear and permanently damage the sprite graphics. However, I see that it is only a temporary glitch when the screen is turned off. I know it's a minor detail, but I had a lot of trouble adapting everything to NTSC and I did it as best as I could. I know that sometimes on NTSC there are such glitches when switching screens, but this is probably the only time when it happens, and it only happens sometimes and does not affect the game apart from the blinking effect.
Interestingly, on my real 65XE NTSC machine, this effect does not occur. This doesn't happen in my emulator either, so I wonder if it depends on some specific emulator settings. I don't know...

I just played on my 800XL (NTSC) with U1MB in it, and I got that effect on the same screen as ascrnet when I died.  Doesn't seem to hinder game play as it disappears right away.  Just thought I'd note it as it might be useful.

EDIT - The game is great!!! Thought I'd add that.

Edited by Atari8guy
Forgot to compliment the game.
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2024 at 7:34 PM, Mq. said:

@ascrnet Thank you for the details. I thought that a glitch like this would appear and permanently damage the sprite graphics. However, I see that it is only a temporary glitch when the screen is turned off. I know it's a minor detail, but I had a lot of trouble adapting everything to NTSC and I did it as best as I could. I know that sometimes on NTSC there are such glitches when switching screens, but this is probably the only time when it happens, and it only happens sometimes and does not affect the game apart from the blinking effect.
Interestingly, on my real 65XE NTSC machine, this effect does not occur. This doesn't happen in my emulator either, so I wonder if it depends on some specific emulator settings. I don't know...

ok understood, as note the first death on the screen with the spider that I indicate in the videos but if you die somewhere else on the same screen you can not repeat it. 😉

• Thanks 1