IGNORED

PICS of Activision promotional items

JayAre

I've posted this Starmaster patch before but thought you might know more about it JayAre. I've had for lots of years (in fact I lost it for more than a year after we moved nearly 15 years ago) and thought it was homemade. However, since then I've been told that it's an official Activision patch. Supposedly only 4 were made and given to the world record holders at that time. I am not the original owner and was not one of the record holders. I'd say I've owned this patch for at least 25 years though. Would love to know if you know more about it or know someone who might.

IMG_4417.thumb.JPG.184e2f1c0906bfcf71c2964127f87289.JPG

Edited to add past posts with the Starmaster patch

Edited by cvga
Added links
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, cvga said:

I really like that idea. It would keep the picture more visible. I went back and took a look at all of the jackets again and it appears that the writing (ribbon for decathlon) is always on the left side (from the wearer's perspective) so I think the fanned stack would work very well.

Thank you for doing that! This thread just keeps getting better and better!

Cool.  You got it.  I'll take the picture later tonight.

I see what you're saying about the writing always being on the left side.  I think I'll place the Decathlon jacket on top, so that both the writing and ribbon are visible, then stack the others below it (towards the right), so all the writing is visible.  Sweet!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cvga said:

I've posted this Starmaster patch before but thought you might know more about it JayAre. I've had for lots of years (in fact I lost it for more than a year after we moved nearly 15 years ago) and thought it was homemade. However, since then I've been told that it's an official Activision patch. Supposedly only 4 were made and given to the world record holders at that time. I am not the original owner and was not one of the record holders. I'd say I've owned this patch for at least 25 years though. Would love to know if you know more about it or know someone who might.

Boy, that's the first time I see that patch.  Just did a quick search on the ole interweb, and the Digital Press website says that it's a "rare promotional patch"; it's towards the bottom of the page.  Maybe you've already seen the site, but here's the link:

https://www.digitpress.com/archives/cc_patches_2600.htm

Let me do a little more digging around, and I'll get back to you.  Awesome patch, by the way!

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JayAre said:

Boy, that's the first time I see that patch.  Just did a quick search on the ole interweb, and the Digital Press website says that it's a "rare promotional patch"; it's towards the bottom of the page.  Maybe you've already seen the site, but here's the link:

https://www.digitpress.com/archives/cc_patches_2600.htm

Let me do a little more digging around, and I'll get back to you.  Awesome patch, by the way!

I'm familiar with the digital press site but hadn't seen the picture of those patches. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cvga said:

I'm familiar with the digital press site but hadn't seen the picture of those patches. Thanks!

CVGA, I dug around a little bit more and was reading the AA thread where Todd Rogers confirmed that he received a jacket from Activision (with this Starmaster patch on it) for holding the world record on all 4 Starmaster game variations at the same time.  Which is what you stated above.

I have a feeling there's a real interesting story behind this patch.  The patch reads "Activision presents Starmaster".  That makes it sound like a patch that was produced to promote/introduce the game, when it was first released.  Basically, a promotional patch, maybe to be given away at trade shows or sent to retailers.  It doesn't really seem like this patch was made for the purpose of rewarding world record holders.  I would think that a patch of that magnitude would specifically say something like "Starmaster World Champion".  This is just a hunch, but maybe these were, in fact, produced as promo items.  And perhaps they were never distributed, because if they had been, there would be more of these floating around.  And at some point, Activision just decided to reward the world record holders and sent them this patch, since they already had it on hand. 

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, JayAre said:

I have a feeling there's a real interesting story behind this patch.  The patch reads "Activision presents Starmaster".  That makes it sound like a patch that was produced to promote/introduce the game, when it was first released.  Basically, a promotional patch, maybe to be given away at trade shows or sent to retailers.  It doesn't really seem like this patch was made for the purpose of rewarding world record holders.  I would think that a patch of that magnitude would specifically say something like "Starmaster World Champion".  This is just a hunch, but maybe these were, in fact, produced as promo items.  And perhaps they were never distributed, because if they had been, there would be more of these floating around.  And at some point, Activision just decided to reward the world record holders and sent them this patch, since they already had it on hand. 

Very good points. I especially agree with your observation of the word "presents" and that they would have somehow indicated that it was a championship patch if so.

It doesn't look or feel like an item that was mass produced given it has more of a homemade look to it. I was hoping maybe your contact would remember something about it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cvga said:

I really like that idea. It would keep the picture more visible. I went back and took a look at all of the jackets again and it appears that the writing (ribbon for decathlon) is always on the left side (from the wearer's perspective) so I think the fanned stack would work very well.

Thank you for doing that! This thread just keeps getting better and better!

Here you go, CVGA.  I hope the picture didn't come out too bad.

DSC00180.thumb.JPG.f3db1c29541aa1d40e63fa3f48d7a3f1.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cvga said:

Thank you JayAre! LOVE IT!!!

Especially how they really tried to make each jacket appropriate for its corresponding game.

You're welcome, my friend.

And you're absolutely right.  You can see that Activision made sure that each jacket was in line with what the game was all about.

2 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Found it.

Decathlon.JPG

And, Wiz, what can I say about these two items?  Just wonderful.  Thanks for sharing them.

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 1

The Pitfall Pouch.  This backpack was sent to retailers as a promotional item.  Some retailers then passed the Pitfall Pouch on to their customers as a pack-in with a copy of Pitfall.  In some cases, the backpack was folded and placed on the back of the Pitfall box, and everything was shrinkwrapped together.

DSC00181.thumb.JPG.3378eff0ae2dbb059a6245d2d010d6ee.JPG

DSC00182.thumb.JPG.20d1bdfcdd2086784a3b0984d0d33b12.JPG

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, JayAre said:

The Pitfall Pouch.  This backpack was sent to retailers as a promotional item.  Some retailers then passed the Pitfall Pouch on to their customers as a pack-in with a copy of Pitfall.  In some cases, the backpack was folded and placed on the back of the Pitfall box, and everything was shrinkwrapped together.

I've seen the Pitfall Pouch (not in real life) but didn't know the story behind it. So many awesome Activision items!

• Like 1