IGNORED

TI BASIC/TI EXTENDED BASIC Games that are worth to be compiled...

tmop69

4 hours ago, Cheung said:

Just finished up Warlords (of the Rings) if any of you brave souls want to have a go at creating a cartridge file for it. I wasn't able to get the -X/-Y executable to run unless the Loader had loaded it but Senior Falcon was able to get it running, so whoever wants to give it a go will need to compile it also. It runs fine when compiled but for whatever reason, something goes wrong with the executables I'm generating - maybe my setup is screwy.

Anyhow, if someone wants to give it a shot, you'll need to put the 2 data files on DSK1.

I am totally baffled as to why this will not work for you.

The -X and -Y files you posted earlier worked fine when running from DSK1.

I downloaded the most recent files and moved them to DSK1. The video below shows the process I used to compile the program. I select 2 for XB 2.9. When the load program runs I selected XB256 which is required for your program to run. I load and run the program in XB. (For some reason the instructions don't quite seem right. Maybe from running under CPU overdrive?) I save, compile, assemble, and load the program, then make the compiled files WARLOR-X and WARLOR-Y to load from XB. I also saved the files as WARLOR-E through WARLOR-H and show them running from the E/A cartridge. I also made a cartridge which was saved to DSK2, and loading and running the cartridge is shown. I only went through the instructions and the player selection screen, so maybe there are problems further down the road.

WARLORDS.GIF.ddfcaff4d93c5002965ef80132c24576.GIF

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I tried a few different things like switching up drives, downloading the latest Classic99 and still had problems. Once compiled the programs don't even run after I quit the loader and restart the computer, so If you're.even just getting the instructions to load, that's more than my execs will do.

I'll keep messing around with it.

There are a couple of nested loops but they are pretty short in general and I don't think they're causing any issues. I've been able to run the program for a decent length without it crashing (I haven't had this release crash at all after playing it a few dozen times) so it *appears* to be OK.

7 minutes ago, Cheung said:

There are a couple of nested loops but they are pretty short in general and I don't think they're causing any issues. I've been able to run the program for a decent length without it crashing (I haven't had this release crash at all after playing it a few dozen times) so it *appears* to be OK.

Okay. I suggested that because, not saying you would do this, but for example, I once did this;

100 GOSUB 1100   ! JOYSTICK
110 GOSUB 1200  ! MOVE ENEMY
120 GOTO 100

1100 CALL JOYST etc etc ..
1110 RETURN

1200 MOVE ENEMY etc etc
1210 GOTO 1110

In my example this would almost certainly cause a memory leak, or at least give the TI the impression that it hadn't much memory left.  It did in my case.  Two subroutines cannot share one return, as I found , to my utter confoundment at the time. As I say, I'm not saying you'd do this, but it's just a thought.

• Like 1

Since it works for me, I do not have any insights on this. The code that Cheung created works fine on my computer. It makes no sense that you could load the compiled program and run it successfully, but not be able to load it from disk and run it.

One thought: You should not be running XB256 when you run WARLOR-X. I tried that with standard XB and it just froze.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

Since it works for me, I do not have any insights on this. The code that Cheung created works fine on my computer. It makes no sense that you could load the compiled program and run it successfully, but not be able to load it from disk and run it.

One thought: You should not be running XB256 when you run WARLOR-X. I tried that with standard XB and it just froze.

Yeah, definitely not working with xb256. I ran it on regular XB and XB2.9 and it seemed to run on both on QI399.063. It wouldn't run on regular XB on QI399.057 but it seems to run on XB 2.7. Thanks for looking at it, sorry about the waste of time. I uploaded the executables to GITHUB:

https://github.com/CheungChang7/TI99_HOMEBREW/tree/main/WARLORDS

Edited by Cheung
added github link

@Cheung really nice game! Definitely it deserves to be packed into a SSS to run on FinalGROM without having to use the disk. 🙂 

I've quickly checked the source and you could try to do this:

1. Remove the "Title" and "Instructions" part from the main code and create a separate program (convert the INSTDAT file into DATA instructions). Create the EA5 files for this first program.
2. For the remaining game code, convert the WARDATA file into DATA instructions. Eventually use REN 1,1 to gain some more bytes. Create the EA5 files for the game. 
3. Use ModuleCreator2 to create a 64K SSS with 2 entries: one with the EA5 files for Title/Instructions and another one for the real Game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tmop69 said:

@Cheung really nice game! Definitely it deserves to be packed into a SSS to run on FinalGROM without having to use the disk. 🙂 

I've quickly checked the source and you could try to do this:

1. Remove the "Title" and "Instructions" part from the main code and create a separate program (convert the INSTDAT file into DATA instructions). Create the EA5 files for this first program.
2. For the remaining game code, convert the WARDATA file into DATA instructions. Eventually use REN 1,1 to gain some more bytes. Create the EA5 files for the game. 
3. Use ModuleCreator2 to create a 64K SSS with 2 entries: one with the EA5 files for Title/Instructions and another one for the real Game.

(I tried to post this earlier but it must have somehow failed or I quit the window without saving it)

What? More work?😉 It looks like the -X and -Y files plus the data files are only about 38K total so breaking out the program into 2 separate programs wit DATA statements, maybe the programs could fit into high memory. The title uses a good sized chunk of the graphics data for that stupid ring graphic and the theme song snippet it bigger than all the rest of the SFX put together, so that would save a pretty good amount of memory on the game portion file. I'll get working on this, don't know what the REN 1,1 you mention is but it might not be needed if everything can fit comfortably. Also might need some instructions on the ModuleCreator2 when that bridge gets crossed. might be a few days, we'll see how much I can do without breaking anything.

1 hour ago, Cheung said:

(I tried to post this earlier but it must have somehow failed or I quit the window without saving it)

What? More work?😉 It looks like the -X and -Y files plus the data files are only about 38K total so breaking out the program into 2 separate programs wit DATA statements, maybe the programs could fit into high memory. The title uses a good sized chunk of the graphics data for that stupid ring graphic and the theme song snippet it bigger than all the rest of the SFX put together, so that would save a pretty good amount of memory on the game portion file. I'll get working on this, don't know what the REN 1,1 you mention is but it might not be needed if everything can fit comfortably. Also might need some instructions on the ModuleCreator2 when that bridge gets crossed. might be a few days, we'll see how much I can do without breaking anything.

Sorry, there was a typo, the command is: RES 1,1 

If you use the command above it will change the line numbers starting from 1 and incrementing by 1. It helps saving some extra bytes with larger programs. Just run it only at the end, when your code is finished.

For the ModuleCreator I can provide you some help to prepare the final SSS. 

Edited by tmop69
  • Like 2

On 2/10/2023 at 11:21 AM, tmop69 said:

Sorry, there was a typo, the command is: RES 1,1 

If you use the command above it will change the line numbers starting from 1 and incrementing by 1. It helps saving some extra bytes with larger programs. Just run it only at the end, when your code is finished.

For the ModuleCreator I can provide you some help to prepare the final SSS. 

I broke the Title/Instructions out from the game and have them on GitHub: https://github.com/CheungChang7/TI99_HOMEBREW/tree/main/WARLORDS/SSS

I added a little more music to the title screen since it was no longer being limited by the game. If you could let me know what steps and programs I'll need to get this SSS made I'd appreciate it.

• Like 3

@Cheung Ensure to have the latest version of Module Creator 2 package (in previous package there is an old version of L99 that has issues with more than 3 EA5 files). Install it.

Steps to create the cart:
- with TiDir convert all the EA5 files (for Title and Game) from TI File format to V9T9 format (in TiDir select the files, then Tools menu, then Convert Ti Files to V9T9😞
- launch Module Creator 2. Insert the cart name, etc. as showed in the image below. Press the "Create Module" button.

image.png.0275d3c9d93fad5ccae43bda558f5440.png

That's all! In attachment the cart for FinalGrom99 and emulators.

Warlors (2023)(Brian Gray)_8.bin

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Runs fine here, how did you load it?

Good catch. Yep, I goofed it somewhat... I initially thought I could drag-n-drop the .bin file, onto the Classic99.exe icon. The emu started, but w/o the game loaded... Then I dragged-n-dropped the .bin file, onto the Classic99 window... The game seems to load, but locks-up when the ball collides...

...sorry...:|

3 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Good catch. Yep, I goofed it somewhat... I initially thought I could drag-n-drop the .bin file, onto the Classic99.exe icon. The emu started, but w/o the game loaded... Then I dragged-n-dropped the .bin file, onto the Classic99 window... The game seems to load, but locks-up when the ball collides...

...sorry...:|

Yes, the command line needs more than just the ROM name if you want to drop it onto the icon (it can be done via the registry, but I don't bother).

Drag and drop to the window is how I tested it, I cleared all three enemies. Make sure you're on the latest? (399.063) Old versions are not supported - the only reason for updates is bugfixes right now. ;)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tmop69 said:

@Cheung Ensure to have the latest version of Module Creator 2 package (in previous package there is an old version of L99 that has issues with more than 3 EA5 files). Install it.

- with TiDir convert all the EA5 files (for Title and Game) from TI File format to V9T9 format (in TiDir select the files, then Tools menu, then Convert Ti Files to V9T9😞
- launch Module Creator 2. Insert the cart name, etc. as showed in the image below. Press the "Create Module" button.

Warlors (2023)(Brian Gray)_8.bin 64 kB · 6 downloads

thanks, I'll add this to GitHub

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tmop69 said:

Warlors (2023)(Brian Gray)_8.bin 64 kB · 6 downloads

Do you know where Module Creator 2 can be downloaded?

On 2/9/2023 at 4:40 PM, Cheung said:

Just finished up Warlords (of the Rings) if any of you brave souls want to have a go at creating a cartridge file for it. I wasn't able to get the -X/-Y executable to run unless the Loader had loaded it but Senior Falcon was able to get it running, so whoever wants to give it a go will need to compile it also. It runs fine when compiled but for whatever reason, something goes wrong with the executables I'm generating - maybe my setup is screwy.

Anyhow, if someone wants to give it a shot, you'll need to put the 2 data files on DSK1.

INSTDAT 2.63 kB · 7 downloads README.txt 271 B · 7 downloads WARDATA 4.13 kB · 8 downloads WARLOR 21.63 kB · 7 downloads

Hi.

I'm getting a SUBPROGRAM NOT FOUND error related to the CWRITE utility. I have all the above files except the README on DSK1. Am I missing something?