IGNORED

Disc O' Pop - Abbuc Software Contest 2020

Irgendwer

Hi!

12 hours ago, Irgendwer said:

Just to show the current high score at the Abbuc-thread:

file.php?id=5793

That is insane, after playing a lot I only managed to go up to 26... at least I got many medals:

2106463068_Screenshotfrom2020-11-1621-22-56.thumb.png.907778c93c8c74a9fdc6a2034282548d.png

Congratulations for a very well done game - very addictive and fast game-play. I found it better than the original "Gimme Friction Baby".

Have Fun!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Hints?  I've tried the game a few times and score 1 :(

Small discs close to the edge or or other discs. Ricochet shots via the side walls (can also be used to get rid of large discs in the middle.) Try again. And again, ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheMontezuma said:

Tell me, there is a secret code, or something

Ok, but don't share this with anyone else: Try to go for the "20 discs on field"-medal. While trying to achieve this goal, you will learn how to make one point after another...

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Stephen said:

Thanks so much!  The wife has had a terrible week at work.  I'll see if we can fire this up on the big screen later :)

And you think this is going to improve her mood? :D

Seriously, the game requires a combination of luck and patience. One thing I do at the beginning just to get a few points is to hit the first bubble dead center. This creates a huge bubble at the top of the screen. However this is very easily breakable if you hit it from the left or right sides - hopefully there will be multiple bounces so it'll be easy. Another worth mentioning is what @Irgendwer kind of demonstrates on his video - if possible create some bubbles at the bottom left and right corners. These will create a sort of shield so you can start launching a lot of bubbles at the top and popping them. Lastly (and quite obviously) try to at least hit one bubble per turn, otherwise the screen might fill up quite quickly!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

It seems the bouncing computation can be wrong from time to time though ?

Not that I'm aware of. The reason for a sometimes bit unexpected behavior is the usage of fixpoint-math (rounding errors) in conjunction with the depiction of the circles, which have, based on the algorithm, always an odd diameter. (Interestingly it's not that easy to find an algorithm for even diameters...)
This is also the reason why sometimes a small gap between circles can be detected or the clearance of one is to "greedy". (Redrawing the affected ones would be a solution but the look-up and redraw, while the ball still moves, dropped the frame rate.)

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, rensoup said:

I'll just echo everybody else and say the game is very enjoyable ?

It seems the bouncing computation can be wrong from time to time though ?

I agree there is a glitch at least in the version I downloaded here, but not regarding bouncing. It is as the circle is slowing down at a constant pace (negative acceleration) it suddenly "speeds up" a bit for about half second and then goes to the normal deacceleration rate.

Atari 130XE NTSC, Hias HS modified OS.

BTW, the game is wonderful and it is very hard to stop playing it. Congrats to the designer for the 2nd place.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, manterola said:

It is as the circle is slowing down at a constant pace (negative acceleration) it suddenly "speeds up" a bit for about half second and then goes to the normal deacceleration rate.

This can sometimes be observed if the "bullet" is entering the bounding boxes of other circles (frame drop, esp. on NTSC systems). It has no effect to the velocity/range computation itself, but is only a visualization issue. The "speed-up" happens when the bounding box is exited while no additional precise calculation of a potential collision is needed.

I may make an updated release with a newer version of cc65 where some calculations will be faster. Unfortunately there is currently a bug which I like to have fixed first.

Edited by Irgendwer

can't go above 20... I swear the bounce is wrong from time to time... then I look more closely and it seems right ?

Here's a bunch of random suggestions:

-Any chance of enabling some debug stuff like the tangent and normal at the hitpoint ?

-Perhaps have a mode where you can aim with Joystick L & R (perhaps with a timer and then the cannon autofires) ? 

-How about a small technical writeup (what C features you used,...) ?

( I noticed that the PMGs are garbled with "Randomize memory" at startup in Altirra, I guess memory is zeroed on a real A8 ? )

On 11/25/2020 at 6:01 PM, rensoup said:

-Any chance of enabling some debug stuff like the tangent and normal at the hitpoint ?

At some point during the development process I had some debugging indicators on screen, but currently I'm too lazy to spend time for a special version to make something like a feature of it.

-Perhaps have a mode where you can aim with Joystick L & R (perhaps with a timer and then the cannon autofires) ?

I think that would destroy the game play. I have the notion you can find a static target position (likely in the corner) for the launcher, positioning one bullet close to the previous one, and make one point after the other.

-How about a small technical writeup (what C features you used,...) ?

I will think about it.

( I noticed that the PMGs are garbled with "Randomize memory" at startup in Altirra, I guess memory is zeroed on a real A8 ? )

Yes, but that was not intended. (Actually I forgot to clear a second BSS segment.) Will do so if I update the game like said before.

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 1