IGNORED

Revisiting Wolfenstein 3D on Jaguar

Rick Dangerous

5 hours ago, ls650 said:

If we can't have games where the Nazis are the bad guys, are there _any_ historical figures that we can use?

I guess the same thinking would rule out pretty much any group of people who ever existed in history.

To be clear I'm not saying you can't (who am I to decide that anyway? 😅), and it also depends a lot on the way you use them. I was just saying I understand why people may think having Nazis in a "fun game" (rather than in a historical war game for instance) is a bit in bad taste, that's all. FYI I played the recent Wolfenstein 2 and wasn't shocked or offended. But that clearly wouldn't be the kind of game I make personally.

Doom also had a swastica, I belive that was also present in the Jaguar version?

If I remember right, one of the Doom developers motivated this by saying something like (quote from memory)

"It was supposed to amplify the feeling of evil in this place"

https://soulsphere.org/mirrors/www.rome.ro/lee_killough/memorabilia/swastika.shtml

In fact it was an astrological tool used when studying diagrams of the zodiac, before it became a symbol of something political.

PS. The same thing happened to the toothbrush mustache that Chaplin also had. This was probably not originally intended?

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 3:29 PM, phoboz said:

Doom also had a swastica, I belive that was also present in the Jaguar version?

Sorry for nitpicking, but the swastika in the PC version of Doom was not in the Jag version.  The room and the falling wall were intact, but the wall's shape was altered to a goofy F-shaped thing.

Screenshot_20230225-222254_Gallery.jpg

2 hours ago, agradeneu said:

What is this?

a TV series. It's possible it wasn't broadcasted in Germany since there's no German Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_(franchise)

It's a science fiction show where the world is invaded by lizard men disguised as humans, and it's a lot influenced by WWII. The pilot is very good.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

a TV series. It's possible it wasn't broadcasted in Germany since there's no German Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_(franchise)

It's a science fiction show where the world is invaded by lizard men disguised as humans, and it's a lot influenced by WWII. The pilot is very good.

Oh but it was broadcasted in Germany. I remember very vividly having nightmares from it.:S 

My sister let me watch it when I was waaaay too young and in one episode someone tried to pull down the fake skin from one of the aliens just to realize that it was a human, so they pulled off the real skin and revealed the human skull underneath.

I think no one in our block slept that night because of my constant screams during that nightmare. Lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PeterG said:

My sister let me watch it when I was waaaay too young and in one episode someone tried to pull down the fake skin from one of the aliens just to realize that it was a human, so they pulled off the real skin and revealed the human skull underneath.

I understand very well. As a child I was traumatized by fake skin removal, probably because of V but also an episode of The New Twilight Zone. So I was also scared watching Mission: Impossible for instance, even though my fear turned into fascination for that particular series. 😅 I don't remember what you're describing though (which sounds awfully gross) but I remember an alien removing his fake skin very slowly in a creepy way. 😰

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I understand very well. As a child I was traumatized by fake skin removal, probably because of V but also an episode of The New Twilight Zone. So I was also scared watching Mission: Impossible for instance, even though my fear turned into fascination for that particular series. 😅 I don't remember what you're describing though (which sounds awfully gross) but I remember an alien removing his fake skin very slowly in a creepy way. 😰

Heh, I probably should rewatch it and have a laugh now or see what I might have added with the fantasy of a six years old.:D 

Interesting though, that this pulling off skin seems to be real trauma material.:)