IGNORED

Atari 800 VBXE installation

candle

update on price. For me it has now been 3 days, and both the 5 piece/1 assembly and the 5 piece/5 assembly are both in review for the assembly, with no indicator when they may review the item.

However, it does allow me to cancel the assembly and complete the order for PCB only, the price for 5 pieces/0 assembly was $27.78 + $6.74 shipping + $1.85 paypal fee, or $36.37 total, or $7.24/ea.

For me personally, I did talk myself out of it, since I have some projects already, probably I should finish one before starting another one :)

I went ahead and ordered PCB only for me.  I went with a more expensive option, with gold enig plating as I do not like the cheap HSAL plating on anything that will be inserted more than one or two times.  It was I think $65 for 5 boards.  I've yet to source the parts - I was not interested in having them come pre-assembled.  I'll post an update when I get the BOM figured out / ordered.  May still be a few days.

Quick edit - PCBWay is damn fast!  I'll start a blog entry for the build and installation of this.  It's not going to be cheap.  So far - $82.53 for 5 PCBs.  I couldn't cheap out on these - so they are gold (ENIG) coated.  Still have to figure out the BOM - I can already feel it, this will not be a fast project.

801345246_01-Front.thumb.jpg.b78b899f57f85a1efb75533436de7258.jpg

917552144_02-Back.thumb.jpg.bd624b6dcf743d9bf5ea27606a981db8.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 9:27 PM, Stephen said:

I went ahead and ordered PCB only for me.  I went with a more expensive option, with gold enig plating as I do not like the cheap HSAL plating on anything that will be inserted more than one or two times.  It was I think $65 for 5 boards.  I've yet to source the parts - I was not interested in having them come pre-assembled.  I'll post an update when I get the BOM figured out / ordered.  May still be a few days.

Quick edit - PCBWay is damn fast!  I'll start a blog entry for the build and installation of this.  It's not going to be cheap.  So far - $82.53 for 5 PCBs.  I couldn't cheap out on these - so they are gold (ENIG) coated.  Still have to figure out the BOM - I can already feel it, this will not be a fast project.

801345246_01-Front.thumb.jpg.b78b899f57f85a1efb75533436de7258.jpg

917552144_02-Back.thumb.jpg.bd624b6dcf743d9bf5ea27606a981db8.jpg

So sorry to quote this, but editing my post doesn't pop it back on the front page.

to save you some time, there was some back and forth messaging with pcbway on bom, so i might put it here aswell

[quote="PCBWay"]

PCBWay Online Services Team brynn@pcbway.com
do
mnie
(więcej)
Odpowiedz
Hi, Bartkowicz,
Thanks for your reply. 
We have put 100 beans into your account.
Have a good day.
 2023-01-03 
-----------------------------------
Brynn Yang
Tel:86-571-85103032 | brynn@pcbway.com

proxy?sig=3fddc5557bc7a8233ebf729733ec2ad489af758ee5fd4c8175cab591adeee44b&url=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucGNid2F5LmVzL2ltZy9pbWFnZXMvbWFpbC5naWY=
PCBWay.com | Follow us Facebook  and Twitter .
------------------ 原始邮件 ------------------

Date:2022/12/31 2:56:00 

Hi Yang,

Spreadsheet you've attached had no positions marked, should I assume I should fulfill all remaining items on BOM with links?
Most of connectors are DNP due to assembly variants in matching PCB board, and remaining ones are just caps and crystal generator with exact part number given

caps should be rated for 10V or above and should have X7R dieelectric or better

Happy New Year,

Sebastian Bartkowicz

Dnia 30 grudnia 2022 10:23 PCBWay Online Services Team <brynn@pcbway.com> napisa?(a):

Hi, Bartkowicz,
Did my last email reach you?
The customer is really interested in this project, and we would be rather appreciated if you can provide us with the remaining info.
Looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards.

2022-12-30 

Brynn Yang

------------------ 原始邮件 ------------------

Hi, Bartkowicz,
Really thanks for your reply, they will help, and we have put 100 beans into your account.
Besides, the purchasing department just sent an update that some of the remaining components could not be found due to incomplete information. Can you please attach the purchase links for the rest of the components? I'm sorry for not handling it properly before.
To apologize, we can offer some coupons if you are willing to offer help with the remaining info.
Best Regards.
 2022-12-27 
Brynn Yang

------------------ 原始邮件 ------------------

Date:2022/12/27 5:23:45 

Hi Yang,

U1

U2

U4

P3, P4

hope this helps

Best Regards,
 Sebastian Bartkowicz

Dnia 26 grudnia 2022 08:26 PCBWay Online Services Team <brynn@pcbway.com> napisa?(a):

Hi, Bartkowicz,
Here is PCBWay, and we recently met some problems when someone ordered SMT service through your project VBXE Atari 800 carrier board.
Can you please provide us with the part numbers or purchase links of these four components (screenshot attached)?
After solving the problems, we will offer some beans which can be used in PCBWay store to exchange for modules. Besides, there is also 10% commission if the customer pays the SMT order.
Looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards.[/quote]

• Thanks 1

got fc.com working - it seems i've forget about one trace....

anyways, just for reference, and so everyone would have everything in one place

here is a fix and associated JED:

vbxe-carrier-fix.thumb.png.24052beaa7b4efe8a9b5bb0db2598edc.png

remember that FC.COM doesn't use system for display, so running it in 80 column mode will result in blank screen

fx-com-vbxe800.thumb.jpg.d4c6c76e1a339247da6540dd2d4e0dbe.jpg

main.jed

Edited by candle
typos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I get confused sometimes, does this mean the fixed PCB will now be available... or it won't be and folks should just run a jumper wire and use the updated program file.

or

here's the fix for now but fixed board will be there later, and program data is for both as they will be functionally the same

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

nothing they bother to inform me about, and all previous questions they had were answered

I even re-checked their message board if there is something in there that was not sent to my email, but no

there is only a handfull of components, and paying for smt assembly service for this board is hardly worth the money they are asking

2 hours ago, candle said:

nothing they bother to inform me about, and all previous questions they had were answered

I even re-checked their message board if there is something in there that was not sent to my email, but no

there is only a handfull of components, and paying for smt assembly service for this board is hardly worth the money they are asking

OK thanks. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I should add this is running a PAL setup, RGB output off a din13 socket rgb to scart (Cool novelties cable). The svideo din5 stock output is also very good. 

It's all open board at the mo as you can see. Will post pics once more testing is done and it's all in it's case. 

At some stage - as I did in 2021 for my step by step incognito install guide - I plan to do the same for this. It will be a complimentary guide alongside FJC's excellently informative VBXE 800 related vids.

FYI my Incognito step by step guide is linked to in my signature below. :)

So pleased this VBXE install worked and I'd like to thank Jakub from retrolemon.co.uk also.

For various reasons it was a real challenge and at quite a few stages I didn't think it would work, and that I'd damaged pcbs. 

FJC's (Jon's) videos were of course the basis for the install do a big thanks as ever for those as well as of course his involvement/collaboration in the hardware/firmware for these things. :)

Playing VBXE enhanced Gacek on my 800 is really cool and the video and audio output quality is very good. 

Plus it's nice to have Jed. 2.0 installed on the incognito. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

I should add this is running a PAL setup, RGB output off a din13 socket rgb to scart (Cool novelties cable). The svideo din5 stock output is also very good. 

Do you have a part source for the 40 pin female header that needs swapping on the 800 VBXE Carrier Board?

@candle This needs to be changed on the BOM for PCB Way...