IGNORED

Atari 800 VBXE installation

candle

@AtariGeezerI used 2 x 20pin headers as on Ebay UK I could only find these and not the double row ones. 

It's good to get the single row ones as well as you can use them to make the 4pin raisers from them. See FJC's video where he uses these single row ones when sandwiching the VBXE and carrier board together. https://youtu.be/uY1saLIIOL0?si=BXV5NQAjvwftrHMg. You can also buy them in the 4pin size. I just happened to have lots of the 20pin strips so just make 4pin ones from it. 

So as Atarigeezer mentioned the BOM for a fully assembled 800 VBXE carrier board on Pcbway has a male 4pin header. However all modern VBXE boards also have 40pin male headers. So you have to remove the carrier board's 40pin male header in order to fit a 40pin female one so the VBXE can properly engage.

It would be good to include a female header instead from the outset. 

Or have two options, so when ordering the buyer can decide. (Maybe they have a really old VBXE with a female 40pin header for example) 

Edited by Beeblebrox

3 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@AtariGeezerI used 2 x 20pin headers as on Ebay UK I could only find these and not the double row ones. 

It's good to get the single row ones as well as you can use them to make the 4pin raisers from them. See FJC's video where he uses these single row ones when sandwiching the VBXE and carrier board together. https://youtu.be/uY1saLIIOL0?si=BXV5NQAjvwftrHMg. You can also buy them in the 4pin size. I just happened to have lots of the 20pin strips so just make 4pin ones from it. 

So as Atarigeezer mentioned the BOM for a fully assembled 800 VBXE carrier board on Pcbway has a male 4pin header. However all modern VBXE boards also have 40pin male headers. So you have to remove the carrier board's 40pin male header in order to fit a 40pin female one so the VBXE can properly engage.

It would be good to include a female header instead from the outset. 

Or have two options, so when ordering the buyer can decide. (Maybe they have a really old VBXE with a female 40pin header for example) 

So this is what the issue is when trying to use a preasembled VBXE carrier board with a modern VBXE board - where both have male 40pin headers:

image.thumb.png.190787400f975a0c88ad2c5c234410b4.png   image.thumb.png.bc71dcf26e761c6935dbdbc51726110e.png

So I had to remove the male 40pin header and replace it with a female header instead. Either that or do so on the VBXE - which I'd not attempt as too risky (for me anyway). The carrier board is the obvious candidate as larger and cheaper if you make a mistake.

So it would be great  - as suggested - if the preassmebled board had the 40pin female header from the start - or the option to choose when ordering.

• Like 1