IGNORED

Pokeymax version 3 preorder

foft

29 minutes ago, Panther said:

I just noticed that there's no input for the Start, Select, Option, or Reset lines on the PokeyMAX 3, so how does the PS/2 keyboard function?

I would imagine that it works like the stock keyboard which also doesn't connect to the 'console' inputs via GTIA. Pokey does not have any connections to the console keys, which are independent. Keep in mind that if you look at the original 800, the console keys were kept very much independent of the actual keyboard. As things progressed this distinction became less so from a physical aspect, but none the less was still electrically an independent aspect. Since the PokeyMax was mainly for the purpose of replacing a Pokey chip, there was no need to even consider the console keys as part of that equation (why would you?). It was later in the development cycle that the PS/2 support was added, with that only requiring 2 free I/O pins. I also kinda doubt that there are enough extra I/O lines to support Start, Select, and Option as well. And even if there are, they probably aren't broken out to a header.

I think it's amazing what @foft has managed to cram into the PokeyMax. So it's probably best to look at the PS/2 ability as an unexpected bonus,  and not necessarily something on the the same level as the AKI or TK-II.

I am absolutely not trying to put down the PokeyMAX, I was just trying to understand if they had worked some magic to manage the full keyboard without the connections.  I was surprised to see the PS/2 capability included at all.  I actually stuck an AKI USB under the PokeyMAX 3 on my 800, which seems to be working.

51 minutes ago, Panther said:

I am absolutely not trying to put down the PokeyMAX, I was just trying to understand if they had worked some magic to manage the full keyboard without the connections.  I was surprised to see the PS/2 capability included at all.  I actually stuck an AKI USB under the PokeyMAX 3 on my 800, which seems to be working.

I didn't think you were putting it down, and I sure hope that you didn't think I was posting something that implied that you had. I just happen to be intimately involved with this subject due to my TK-II creation, and all the years of development that went into it. So because of that, I must remember that i have an awareness that other people perhaps don't about how a PS/2 keyboard can be made to communicate with the Pokey, and I probably forget that when explaining things.

Basically whether this be a TK-II, an AKI, or the latest Pokeymax, they all need to do something very similar in order to translate a PS/2 keyboard into something that looks like the stock Atari keyboard. And that is to first read the PS/2 synchronous serial output (only two signal lines - Data and Clock) to determine what key has been pressed, and then mimic the same key, or more specifically the same character as if it were a certain key(s) being pressed on the stock Atari keyboard. To do this, it needs to read Pokey's 6-bit key scan counter and when that matches the number of the key character that has been pressed on the PS/2 keyboard, bring one or both of the Pokey Key Response (KR1 & KR2) inputs low. I say one or both, because KR1 is for the normal keys, and KR2 is for Control, Shift, or Break, and because of the mapping differences between the PS/2 keys and the stock Atari keys, it might require the Control/Shift feedback (KR2) as well as the normal key feedback (KR1) to recreate the same character on the Atari. There's a bit more to it, but that is the essence of it.

Now for Start, Select, Option, Reset... those key switches get read by either the GTIA (Start, Select, Option) or go to a circuit that registers the Reset key press (this is handled differently in the 400/800 vs everything that came afterwards). So Pokey has no connection or awareness of those keys, which are normally called the Console and Reset keys. The TK-II and AKI have 4 specific I/O lines that get connected to those switches in order to activate those specific functions. For PokeyMax to do the same, it would also need 4 available I/O pins.

This PS/2 to Atari translation is handled by an MCU (Microchip PIC) on the TK-II and AKI running an independent program from the Atari. On PokeyMax it's done via the FPGA being more of a hardware coding then a software one, but in the end it accomplishes the same thing. Neither method depends upon the 6502, and is actually completely transparent to it, with the CPU totally unaware that this is going on in parallel. Pokey also isn't aware that it is being spoken to in this manner, and just assumes that the key presses are coming from its own stock scanned matrix keyboard.

If you want to know more about how a PS/2 keyboard works check this out: The PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard Protocol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes exactly. It’s like the XEGS where just the ‘pokey managed’ keyboard keys are on PS2 and the ‘gtia managed’ console keys remain where they are. Also the layout is, for the moment, fixed to match the Atari layout. So AKI and TK-II remain much fuller featured options.

• Like 2

I'm almost finished installing POKEYMAX 3, AKI USB, and Sophia 2 in my Incognito 800.  Unfortunately, my time has been limited lately, so I get to put in only a little work at a time on this.  I've drilled enough holes in my 800 case and shielding to make Faicuai's head explode.  Hey, I do have another 800 that's completely stock.  Two actually, but I'm giving one to a friend.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The max 10 chips are still unavailable. The Intel CEO is saying we’re now about half way through the chip crisis, so could be a few more years! Which is a long time for something previously always available ‘next day’!

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/3/2022 at 12:05 AM, foft said:

The max 10 chips are still unavailable. The Intel CEO is saying we’re now about half way through the chip crisis, so could be a few more years! Which is a long time for something previously always available ‘next day’!

I'd like to get in line for the pre-order as well as soon as they have what they need to continue production.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Xebec said:

Can someone post a picture of the mod that needs to be done to make this work on an Atari 800 (+Incognito)?

There's nothing special with installation on an 800.  It fits fine, wire as normal.  The only problem I encountered was trying to use the PokeyMAX 3 and an AKI USB together.  I ditched the USB.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...