IGNORED

Pokeymax version 3 preorder

foft

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, PokeyMAX v3 is still not available. I have a few PokeyMAX v2B available, price is 110€ plus 10€ shipping worldwide.

The main difference in both is that v3 has also SID, AY/YM, sample player cores, while 2B has up to 4 Pokeys plus Covox.

If anyone is interested in purchasing PokeyMAX v2B, please send PM.

33 minutes ago, Duddie said:

Hi guys, PokeyMAX v3 is still not available. I have a few PokeyMAX v2B available, price is 110€ plus 10€ shipping worldwide.

The main difference in both is that v3 has also SID, AY/YM, sample player cores, while 2B has up to 4 Pokeys plus Covox.

If anyone is interested in purchasing PokeyMAX v2B, please send PM.

PM sent, thanks!

11 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

The answer is no, anyway. I'm going to remove PokeyMAX from the customer's machine, unless @mytek has any suggestions concerning the auto-repeat issue? Mark doesn't appear to think there's anything to be done on the PokeyMAX side.

No nothing has changed on my end. I did put a disclaimer on the TK-II page on my website about a year or more ago saying that the TK-II is only guaranteed to work properly with a real Pokey.

Without a PokeyMAX to play with it's pretty much impossible for me to see if there is a fix. And I've been rather busy with other things anyway, so I really don't have the time either.

37 minutes ago, mytek said:

I did put a disclaimer on the TK-II page on my website about a year or more ago saying that the TK-II is only guaranteed to work properly with a real Pokey.

Prudent. Presumably the client didn't read that, or the vendor didn't replicate the disclaimer on the product page.

• Like 1

I don't yet know for sure where the client purchased TK-II, but there's certainly nothing on TBA's TK-II product page, nor any link to the ataribits page:

360231553_TBATK-II.thumb.png.2f3b2d161036f17e5527e20850ae1807.png

Meanwhile there's nothing on the RetroLemon PokeyMAX product page or in the attached user manual to suggest that PokeyMAX is anything other than '100 per cent compatible with the original POKEY chip', so it's fairly easy to see why the customer didn't envisage any issue. Fortunately the customer doesn't consider it a big deal, and I guess instances of the two devices being installed in the same machine are rare. I'll go ahead and test TK-II with Candle's pre-production SimpleStereo v4 at some point.

9 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

I don't yet know for sure where the client purchased TK-II, but there's certainly nothing on TBA's TK-II product page, nor any link to the ataribits page:

It is covered on my TK-II page, but probably wasn't when @MacRorie was updating his website. Anyway he's tagged on this post, so should now be in the loop.

Here's the declaimer on my site (towards the bottom of this snapshot)...

image.thumb.png.40fdeea6df0040fc4024d87671f9ccf5.png

Page LINK

9 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Meanwhile there's nothing on the RetroLemon PokeyMAX product page or in the attached user manual to suggest that PokeyMAX is anything other than '100 per cent compatible with the original POKEY chip', so it's fairly easy to see why the customer didn't envisage any issue.

Well if my memory serves me correctly there might have been a few other small discrepancies other than the TK-II issue. But that's besides the point. Bottom line if someone claims 100% compatibility, then that means ALL legacy devices should be indistinguishable in operation between a 'real' Pokey and the PokeyMAX, which certainly doesn't appear to be the case :)

• Like 2

Just now, mytek said:

Here's the declaimer on my site (towards the bottom of this snapshot)...

image.thumb.png.40fdeea6df0040fc4024d87671f9ccf5.png

Page LINK

Thanks. I already put that exact image in my video about three hours ago (Patreon only for the next two days). :)

1 minute ago, mytek said:

Well if my memory serves me correctly there might have been a few other small discrepancies other than the TK-II issue. But that's besides the point. Bottom line if someone claims 100% compatibility, then that means ALL legacy devices should be indistinguishable in operation between a 'real' Pokey and the PokeyMAX, which certainly doesn't appear to be the case

Yep. To be clear: I like both devices just fine and I don't have a rod up my ass about things not being 100 per cent perfect (and it just so happens that the client has been immensely cool about the whole thing). But on the other hand - having forgotten about the key repeat issue until I actually witnessed it (and this immediately made me remember the years-old forum discussion) - I could have easily made the same mistake the customer made and ordered a TK-II and PokeyMAX, blithely expecting there to be no issue.

In the broader sense, there are plenty of other devices which ARE supposed to be totally compatible on paper but which don't always work quite right together, but this particular case appears to be a completely determinate one in which one is guaranteed to experience the issue.

The PokeyMAX and TK-II weren't purchased from the same vendor, anyway, so I guess the chances of this being flagged up at the point of sale were slim to nil anyway. :)

16 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

...having forgotten about the key repeat issue until I actually witnessed it (and this immediately made me remember the years-old forum discussion) - I could have easily made the same mistake the customer made and ordered a TK-II and PokeyMAX, blithely expecting there to be no issue.

In the broader sense, there are plenty of other devices which ARE supposed to be totally compatible on paper but which don't always work quite right together, but this particular case appears to be a completely determinate one in which one is guaranteed to experience the issue.

Now I certainly don't want to see anyone get something I designed that either doesn't work or doesn't work properly with certain other hardware upgrades, but not taking anyone's money kinda let's me off the hook on this one. With that said, I do try my best with the spare time I have to go back and fix things where I can. However I do draw the line on having to buy one of every hardware upgrade and 8-bit computer (both NTSC & PAL) ever made in order to test every scenario, which I know you understand perfectly well :)

Yep. To be clear: I like both devices just fine and I don't have a rod up my ass about things not being 100 per cent perfect (and it just so happens that the client has been immensely cool about the whole thing).

Yeah no worries I didn't take anything you said as adversarial.

I don't have a rod up my ass

Wow I sure hope not, because that doesn't sound very enjoyable unless you are into that sorta thing :lolblue:

And to follow up on the not taking money thing, here's a snap shot from the front page of my website ...

image.thumb.png.a162699f9ae983cf66105748f25073dd.png

Obviously being something that can be freely made by anyone, means I have very little control over the quality, the pricing, and what information gets passed along to the end customer.

14 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

360231553_TBATK-II.thumb.png.2f3b2d161036f17e5527e20850ae1807.png

Meanwhile there's nothing on the RetroLemon PokeyMAX product page or in the attached user manual to suggest that PokeyMAX is anything other than '100 per cent compatible with the original POKEY chip', so it's fairly easy to see why the customer didn't envisage any issue. Fortunately the customer doesn't consider it a big deal, and I guess instances of the two devices being installed in the same machine are rare. I'll go ahead and test TK-II with Candle's pre-production SimpleStereo v4 at some point.

I did not realize it was incompatible nor has anyone contacted me about having difficulties. I cannot fix what I do not know about. 

Thanks for tagging me, @mytek, I will update the website when I get back from vacation. 

@flashjazzcat I apologize for any inconvenience that I caused you.  That description is years old. If anything like this happens in the future, please feel free to drop me a direct line. I don’t generally read the forums unless I have it on subscription and/or someone tags me. 

-M

Edited by MacRorie
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, foft said:

Sorry I did my best when I looked at this a few years ago.

7 hours ago, MacRorie said:

I did not realize it was incompatible nor has anyone contacted me about having difficulties. I cannot fix what I do not know about. 

You guys should never need to apologise, unfortunately we live in a time where we need to put disclaimers/warnings etc on everything and I can see more of this 3rd party device incompatibility issues being raised as newer add ons are brought into the market.

Reminds me of the early days of Windows 95 and 'Plug and Play', or should I say ‘Plug and spend days figuring out why it don’t work and miss out on the Play’.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MacRorie said:

I apologize for any inconvenience that I caused you.  That description is years old. If anything like this happens in the future, please feel free to drop me a direct line. I don’t generally read the forums unless I have it on subscription and/or someone tags me. 

No worries. As I say: I tend to become vicariously disappointed on behalf of the customer in situations like these, regardless of the fact that (I think) when dealing with upgrades for forty year old computers, there are really no guarantees anyway (and 99 per cent of customers - even if not technically minded - appreciate that). I felt the same way when a prior client paid over a hundred pounds for a SIDE 3.1 which I could not make work with his pristine 130XE for love nor money. :)

I should have tagged you in the first place anyway; apologies for neglecting to do so.

• Like 2