IGNORED

PlusCart(+) + SD

Andrew Davie

Here is a minor update to the EAGLE board/schematics, and GERBER as well.

The holes for the MicroSD board were slightly too small, and made mounting difficult. This fixes that.

Edit: updated to include the MicroSD library defininition.

PlusCartUnified_20210722b.zip

Edited by Andrew Davie

10 hours ago, cfarl said:

Hi, Andrew, great job here!

I was looking at your Gerber file, but I didn't find the drill file inside it.

Is it missing?

Ps. I never ordered a pcb before, but I really want to make this for my Atari 2600.

Yes, I think it's missing. I recall getting a similar question from board manufacturer.

I'll look into it, but in any case anyone knowledgeable should be able to regenerate the correct files from the brd/sch provided.

8 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Yes, I think it's missing. I recall getting a similar question from board manufacturer.

I'll look into it, but in any case anyone knowledgeable should be able to regenerate the correct files from the brd/sch provided.

Nice!

I managed to generate a new gerber wich includes the drill file.

It is here, for reference.

PlusCartUnified3_2021-07-28.zip

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cfarl said:

What is this "cut out"?

It gives access to the pins on the dev board for installation of a shunt (=bridge).  The shunt is removed for reprogramming manually, and installed when using the cart. The cart has auto-update, so you only need to remove the shunt if you're doing a self-build and for the very first programming/update. So, the small cutout is big enough to push the shunt through onto the underneath pins.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cbelcher said:

Is it ok to update the PlusCart SD from the menu as a WiFI update?  - just making sure it's not pulling the regular PlusCart firmware that might break the SD card...

Thanks

No, not at this time -AFAIK. The SD variant is experimental and can only be self-programmed.

If you update via WiFi, I believe that will install the latest normal version.

On 7/31/2021 at 12:04 AM, Andrew Davie said:

If you update via WiFi, I believe that will install the latest normal version.

That is correct, WiFi update will update the cart to latest version of regular PlusCart(No SD support).

Manual Flash only.

Current Newest Firmware is in post #174 within this thread

• 3 weeks later...

Well...got the soldering all done and flashed....the card boots and looks for wifi but doesn't find any. When you look under system info the WiFi firmware is just blank...no numbers or symbols at all. The ESP8266 flashes blue once on power then nothing. The SD card part works fine. A second unit assembled does the same thing. Maybe just a bad batch of ESP8266? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088KMHH1H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12 minutes ago, WicoKid said:

Well...got the soldering all done and flashed....the card boots and looks for wifi but doesn't find any. When you look under system info the WiFi firmware is just blank...no numbers or symbols at all. The ESP8266 flashes blue once on power then nothing. The SD card part works fine. A second unit assembled does the same thing. Maybe just a bad batch of ESP8266? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088KMHH1H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can you show some views of your board so that I can check the basics?

3 hours ago, WicoKid said:

Some shippers deliver the ESP8266 without any firmware.

On 8/23/2021 at 1:46 AM, WicoKid said:

Well, amateur at work here. Taking a break for a while. Thats crazy....nodemcu says flash worked, even gives you a QR code to scan, then no firmware number on the Atari. When I use ESPlorer it just says "communicating with MCU...."; then no responses. 

Nodemcu doesn't care what you are flashing and to which address, so you have to make sure that these are correct

1 hour ago, cfarl said:

Could it be this?

"Pins of the ESP8266-01 have to be shorten after soldering"

http://pluscart.firmaplus.de/pico/?assembly

I confess I didn't get this point. What pins have to be shorten?

see minute 7:41 of @Fierodoug5's assembly video:

1 hour ago, cfarl said:

Could it be this?

"Pins of the ESP8266-01 have to be shorten after soldering"

http://pluscart.firmaplus.de/pico/?assembly

I confess I didn't get this point. What pins have to be shorten?

It's a bit confusing -- "shortened" is the word we are looking for here :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

It's a bit confusing -- "shortened" is the word we are looking for here :)

just changed it to:

Pins of the ESP8266-01 have to be clipped down with a side cutter after soldering