IGNORED

Albert - new colorful game for Atari

Sikor

On 12/8/2021 at 8:27 PM, Beeblebrox said:

@Duddie  I'd be potentially very interested in a copy but it would be great to have an idea or even a teaser as to the aforementioned enhancements that might await someone buying the physical copy. (As and when released of course) :D 

I just happened to notice the (presumably) latest gameplay recording of the game has been posted on Atarionline.pl at the end of the Albert game thread in the last day or so.

However watching it I can't see any notable difference between the gameplay and content of this to that of the long available free Albert 1.02. Maybe I am missing something? 

It would be great to have some clarification as to what the paid box version has by way of number of levels and aforementioned enhancements (if any) over the free 1.02 version from anyone at Retronics? :ponder::waving:;)

Edited by Beeblebrox

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Duddie said:

HI guys, I am sorry for my late reply... This game squeezes last drops of juice from Atari, so it doesn't work on NTSC machines due to lack of CPU time during one NTSC frame - it is too short. It needs 50 Hz frame.

@Duddie  Thanks. Any clarification regarding the enhancements over the already available free version. Just a general few points of clarification would be great. Are there way more levels, or extra enemies or new game play elements or mechanics for example?  Even if you didn't want to release anything specifically to avoid spoilers, it would be good to know for those of use debating whether it was worth investing in a paid boxed version, as you'll appreciate. 

NTSC has more frames, so moving critical code earlier if possible in cycle count, deferred interrupts and spreading code into extra frames usually makes it work out, other things like removing blank lines etc or refactoring music so the VBI vs lines don't clash.. but hey... It's understood that's some work. Thanks for doing all that you have done so far. Nice stuff.

This is the same game, with only small changes. There is 10 more levels, a few of them have different background colors. No extra enemies/obstacles etc.
I didn't plan cart version at all, but some people (collectors who like to have the box) were asking for it. It required additional work to adopt the game and run it from cart. Now game works with 64kB memory, images are shown directly from cart banks.
Some small bonus is added after successfully passing the game, but it was specially not announced because this is not intended to be argument to buy the game.

Nobody from us authors makes this for money, but anyway since it was done I hope that publisher will not stay now with all not sold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

it will all sell, it's just time and the current state of affairs, shipping is a real wreck, at least in the USA for now... and inflation along with more restrictions being tossed about... we just have to give things some distance and wait for the chaos to settle. You have better coverage of the situation in non US media outlets than we do now. So give it a handful of years (maybe 2 or 3) and things will get back on track.

Your game is wonderful, don't view any slowness of propagation or even sails as a negative... it's just the current situation. You will see it's a favorite!!

I wouldn't talk about conversions of any kind if it wasn't a great game! Since it is a great game, you will here from folks that do want it. In the USA we have predominately NTSC users, as such we have fewer orders to place until there is a conversion etc.

Congrats on a great game that is worthy of a physical release! We'd love to hear more about what all went into it... the nuts and bolts, how you accomplished certain aspects... it's part of the fun!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

We'd love to hear more about what all went into it... the nuts and bolts, how you accomplished certain aspects... it's part of the fun!

There was short description how it is made: http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1613313216&archive=&start_from=80&ucat=1&ct=nowinki , in polish but you can try google translator.

And it wasn't my intention to complain on sale (I don't know how it is actually going), although maybe it had sound a bit like that.

• Like 1

FYI Retronics are taking pre-orders selling this directly via a Paypal email payment, (£35 incl postage costs to UK).

I took this from their Facebook page if you scroll down a bit:

Order your copy by e-mail: orders@retronics.eu

Alternatively if you are in the EU they are also selling via Sellmyretro: https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/wanted/61638

(Unfortunately I couldn't purchase via Sellmyretro as they only ship to the UK for orders over £135 owing to the new arrangement post Brexit.)

Anyhoo secured my copy just a mo ago. :lust:

On 12/29/2021 at 9:08 AM, Thelen said:

... which also graphically pushes the (original) hardware to the limits.

Thank you, but actually hardware limits of Atari 8-bit are sill much further, the only limit is coder imagination... Different things can be done better in Albert, me too I have learned a lot when developping this simple game

• Like 3

@kskigreat game. Is a sequel planned as on AtariOnLine.pl I am sure I read somewhere that one was planned taking into account some planned new gameplay mechanics, new ways to display the levels, colours, enemies, etc etc. Would love to hear if this is on the cards.

I love the speed of play in Albert and the graphics are jaw dropping gorgeous. 

2 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

...Is a sequel planned ...

In a few short words what I written on atarionline when this game was published.

I started this game to learn the atari gfx possibilities, specially in colouring and using dli, as graphisc was always the first thing I looked at in games. Also to check out MadPascal, which is great and was big help, even although on the end 95% of the code is in assembler.

I believed more can be obtained from atari gfx then what I see in existing games, This was a kind of challange for me, and it was actually the reason why I decided to go back to atari after so many years. Of course by using modern tools and programming/debugging all on the PC the process of developping a game is much easier now.

All this doesn’t change the fact that for me all the greatest Atari games have been already created (mainly in the 80ties but not only), and it is not my ambision to compete with them.

During the work I was suprised how much Atari can do, but also with time I have seen that many things I could do better. I don’t want to go into details here because it would make this post x times longer and on the end nobody would read it. But finally I decided to do serious changes in the existing engine.

That’s why what was developped till now I decided to stop as it is and publish as Albert 1.

Albert 2 will be a different game. I hope with better gameplay, for sure different levels with various colourfull graphisc and enemies.

Since engine is changing, I also do my best to have Albert 2 work properly on ntsc (60 fps), with some limitations comparing to PAL (a bit smaller screen, music off, …), but full gameplay. It is possible.

Unfortunatelly Albert 2 is still far future – project requires a lot of work, time which I can and want to spend on that particular hobby is limited. So I cannot give any dates.

Answering next question, I’m not planning any trailer movie about Albert 2 soon, it is too early, still to much work on the engine and editor. But who knows, maybe you will do a small one yourself(?) if you plan to buy Albert 1 and pass it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kski said:

In a few short words what I written on atarionline when this game was published.

I started this game to learn the atari gfx possibilities, specially in colouring and using dli, as graphisc was always the first thing I looked at in games. Also to check out MadPascal, which is great and was big help, even although on the end 95% of the code is in assembler.

I believed more can be obtained from atari gfx then what I see in existing games, This was a kind of challange for me, and it was actually the reason why I decided to go back to atari after so many years. Of course by using modern tools and programming/debugging all on the PC the process of developping a game is much easier now.

All this doesn’t change the fact that for me all the greatest Atari games have been already created (mainly in the 80ties but not only), and it is not my ambision to compete with them.

During the work I was suprised how much Atari can do, but also with time I have seen that many things I could do better. I don’t want to go into details here because it would make this post x times longer and on the end nobody would read it. But finally I decided to do serious changes in the existing engine.

That’s why what was developped till now I decided to stop as it is and publish as Albert 1.

Albert 2 will be a different game. I hope with better gameplay, for sure different levels with various colourfull graphic and enemies.

Since engine is changing, I also do my best to have Albert 2 work properly on ntsc (60 fps), with some limitations comparing to PAL (a bit smaller screen, music off, …), but full gameplay. It is possible.

Unfortunatelly Albert 2 is still far future – project requires a lot of work, time which I can and want to spend on that particular hobby is limited. So I cannot give any dates.

Answering next question, I’m not planning any trailer movie about Albert 2 soon, it is too early, still to much work on the engine and editor. But who knows, maybe you will do a small one yourself(?) if you plan to buy Albert 1 and pass it.

@kski  Thanks for sharing that. Totally understand regarding a sequel. Good luck :D

Just to say I personally don't think any games programmed in the 21st c need ever be seen to be competing with older games from the 80s and 90s - they merely all contribute to the continuation of Atari 8-bit and the scene - which is generally IMHO what we all want. I think what has been done to push the A8 in recently years and especially from what I've seen within the last year or so with the likes of Prince of Persia, Last Squadron, Flob, Albert, and Final Assault to name a few is astonishing. As you clearly state there is still so much more than can be squeezed out of the A8.

There is clearly a continued momentum on both the software and hardware side of the A8 scene and what is particularly encouraging is the use of 21C tech to compliment A8 retro tech, without taking the core identity away from A8s. So as an example Rastaconverted images created using 21c processing power, where the displayed result is ALL A8. Or modern storage mediums utilizing high storage capacity mediums like SDcards with many GBs of storage and high data transfer speeds to allow our A8s to access data quickly without being contrained. Not to mention Fujinet, SIDE3, AVG, U1MB, etc.

I have ordered my boxed copy of Albert and look forward to playing it, and will keep an eye out in future for progress on Albert 2 should it ever become a reality. Very exciting.

In the meantime aside all the great games mentioned earlier, and thousands of classic games from past decades, we have great WIP games including ADM, Giana Sister's, and for me the very much anticipated Asteroida-the cause of all life's troubles..that is, (great title), to look forward too. (Maybe we'll even see Rick Dangerous ;)) Great time to be back on the A8 scene.:lust:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Dinadan67  nice. According to Royal mail tracking mine should arrive tmrw! :D 

I've been playing the free version with my new SNACK/SNES setup and it's great. It's still slightly better playing with my Zipstick joystick (the best type of joystick I've ever owned IMHO), but it's really great to be able to use a pad for a platformer of this quality. I love the main character speed and momentum and being able to control movement mid air is exactly like it was with the likes of Sonic on other platforms - makes the game so much better in many respects.:)

@Philsan  Am intrigued - first time I've heard of this title "07 Come in!"  Google search doesn't come up with much aside the Retronics Facebook link which I can't access (not on Facebook). Can't find anything further on AA or Youtube.

That box art has got me asking the obvious question... what the game is about? Genre? Undercover spy tractor driving game?!! ;) Care to put my out of my misery? Anyone have a video link?

thanks in advance :P

EDIT: ah good ol Wikipedia... getting warmer..so looks like it's based on a Polish Police drama from BITD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/07_zgłoś_się

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

I have one of the earlier ROMs of Albert and even reviewed it on The Atari Report last season, I DO need to practice on my jumping technique and get back to playing it but by far this was one of the most colorful and graphically beautiful ports I have ever seen on an Atari 8-bit computer!!! Magnificent!!! BTW, mine works on an NTSC machine, my system being an XEGS. It may be glitchy (it IS an earlier pre-production version) but it is wonderfully done!!!

Edited by BIGHMW

On 1/6/2022 at 9:08 AM, kski said:

Same, I always had a desire to see how far Atari 8-bit graphics could be pushed.   Many of the games released in the 80s left something to be desired.  Could never understand why so many had chosen such muddy-looking palettes.  Albert proves that 8-bit games can have very vibrant palettes.   I suspect in the old days it was a combination of:

1. Weak development tools

2. Games frequently designed by one person-  programmers are often not artists

3. When porting games to the Atari platform, there was no incentive for the programmer to dig deep into Atari's bag of graphics tricks-- it's a lot of extra work for no extra money.

• Like 2