IGNORED

1090XL remake

kenames99

On 2/27/2024 at 9:18 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

might help determine who is going to be designated leader of the chain gang and who is in what slot for usage and plumbing purposes as things evolve.

Along this same line...  Has there been any more work done on the 1090XL case?  I have a friend that has a small machine shop in his garage.  Leaves his pickup outside (like me).

He has said he wouldn't mind looking at the drawings if someone has them... 

David

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DavidMil2 said:

Along this same line...  Has there been any more work done on the 1090XL case?  I have a friend that has a small machine shop in his garage.  Leaves his pickup outside (like me).

He has said he wouldn't mind looking at the drawings if someone has them... 

David

Sadly, I don't think anyone has any blueprints.  The best option would be for someone with an actual 1090XL to take every measurement imaginable so that actual blueprints could be made.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 8:52 PM, reifsnyderb said:

This is probably exactly what's happening.  The 1090XL cards follow Atari's standards.  Looking at the information, in my PBI document, I noticed these notes:

ULTIMATE 1 MB

$D100 - $D1BE I/O RAM (When enabled.)

$D1BF Bank switch register

$D1FF Emulated PBI device configuration

$D600 - $D7FF I/O RAM (When enabled.)

$D800 - $DFFF RAM or OS ROM (When enabled.)

What would be cool is... a U1MB and VBXE designed to just sit in the 1090XL so we didn't have to go hacking and making a Cyberpunk looking city inside our machines (though for some people, that's also very fun).  Granted, I have no clue if that's even possible.

I'm thinking about ordering one now, are the only currently produced cards the 80 column and CX-85 boards?  I thought I saw a picture of another one, but not sure what it is.

Oh, I see, it's a 320kb memory expansion.

Edited by leech

25 minutes ago, leech said:

What would be cool is... a U1MB and VBXE designed to just sit in the 1090XL so we didn't have to go hacking and making a Cyberpunk looking city inside our machines (though for some people, that's also very fun).  Granted, I have no clue if that's even possible.

I'm thinking about ordering one now, are the only currently produced cards the 80 column and CX-85 boards?  I thought I saw a picture of another one, but not sure what it is.

Oh, I see, it's a 320kb memory expansion.

A video card could be made and some U1MB functionality provided by the 1090XL. 

If there is enough interest, more cards will be coming.   🙂

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

Well, I ordered the full set of 1090xl, ram, cx-85 and 80 column card.  I'll see if I can't design a case for it, since that seems to be lacking currently.  Then I can prototype it with my 3D printer.  If I can create something satisfactory, I will of course post the STLs.  But hopefully if someone then takes the model and makes a more proper print or mold, it would be awesome to get a discount.  😀  Ha, maybe I'll throw a little 'Designed by Leech' on the inside, like the A1000 had for their team...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

VBXE is finally gaining some (well deserved) support (PopEye!) and it would be great to have as a card... Also - U1MB would be a "killer app" for 1090XL IMHO...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, damanloox said:

VBXE is finally gaining some (well deserved) support (PopEye!) and it would be great to have as a card... Also - U1MB would be a "killer app" for 1090XL IMHO...

Problem is that both are closed designs and thus cards would need to be developed by the original developers in Poland and supplied by Lotharek.

6 hours ago, DjayBee said:

Problem is that both are closed designs and thus cards would need to be developed by the original developers in Poland and supplied by Lotharek.

I guess it is not as simple as passing on the signals these devices need via PBI/ECI instead of directly off the motherboard.

2 minutes ago, scorpio_ny said:

I guess it is not as simple as passing on the signals these devices need via PBI/ECI instead of directly off the motherboard.

I would think an FPGA board stuck in there with some I/O... then get the developers to port cores over to it... or, maybe even use it to recreate other platforms in a card.

Ha, the Atari MiSTerXL.

30 minutes ago, scorpio_ny said:

Candle has a PBI version of the U1MB working.

But I guess that VBXE would not be possible this way but I don't know enough about it to be sure.

• Like 1

At this time, what cards are available -- 80-col., 320K ram, and CX85 keypad?  Did I miss any?  If one uses the 1090, they can't use a hard drive, nor have multiple OS?  (Although I would think you could still have internal multiple OS, but the 1090 wouldn't work?)

18 minutes ago, Larry said:

At this time, what cards are available -- 80-col., 320K ram, and CX85 keypad?  Did I miss any?  If one uses the 1090, they can't use a hard drive, nor have multiple OS?  (Although I would think you could still have internal multiple OS, but the 1090 wouldn't work?)

@kenames99 has re-created the composite output 80 column card and the 64k RAM card.  (Gerber files are available.)

I am working on a card that would upgrade the OS and BASIC.  Also sitting in the queue is a FujiNet card, COVOX card, CP/M card, a RAM Disk card, and some others.  I have a close re-make of the picture verison of the CP/M card almost completed.  Other cards are certainly possible.  There is also some discussion about a multi-purpose card with USB I/O.

The 1090 should work with multiple internal OS's.  Though, it does depend upon how these OS's were implemented.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

@kenames99 has re-created the composite output 80 column card and the 64k RAM card.  (Gerber files are available.)

I am working on a card that would upgrade the OS and BASIC.  Also sitting in the queue is a FujiNet card, COVOX card, CP/M card, a RAM Disk card, and some others.  I have a close re-make of the picture verison of the CP/M card almost completed.  Other cards are certainly possible.  There is also some discussion about a multi-purpose card with USB I/O.

The 1090 should work with multiple internal OS's.  Though, it does depend upon how these OS's were implemented.

I'm curious if something on the level of a PiStorm style thing could be implemented that simply emulates VBXE / RAPIDUS on a board?  These are already emulated via Altirra, right?  Or even just emulation cores for a few other things, like a c64.  Ha, that would be amusing.

12 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

1090XL's are breeding.   🙂     Three are leaving the roost today.

10902.thumb.jpg.a1cc7e341b9f00ef6916f06a46ecbc1d.jpg

10901.thumb.jpg.135a3d8ff3b91697a4b96ddb62fe0a32.jpg

Beautiful!  How much heat do these generate?  I noticed on the videos of the original, that the case has vents on top and what looks to be a fan mount on the back.  I was thinking it would look cooler for a case designed to look more like the 600xl/800xl.

I'm trying to work out in my head how best to make it sturdy and cool looking with a 3d printer... also, wonder if the metal case of the original would get hot, and overall a full plastic may not absorb the heat as much... guess I will find out.  😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leech said:

Beautiful!  How much heat do these generate?  I noticed on the videos of the original, that the case has vents on top and what looks to be a fan mount on the back.  I was thinking it would look cooler for a case designed to look more like the 600xl/800xl.

I'm trying to work out in my head how best to make it sturdy and cool looking with a 3d printer... also, wonder if the metal case of the original would get hot, and overall a full plastic may not absorb the heat as much... guess I will find out.  😀

There will need to be ventilation.  The heat sinks can get pretty warm to the touch and the shunt resistors can get uncomfortably hot.

What apps would work with the 80-column card?  And (anyone) how big of a deal would it be to get one of the many word processors or text editors available for the Atari working with the 1090 80-column card?  It may not be a killer app, but we need at least one app for it. 

Do BASICs work well with it?  IIRC, some 80-column configurations only allowed 80 characters on a Basic line.  The Bit 80 was that way, I think. 

And what are the dimensions (for those of us who are short on desk space)?  Sorry for all the questions, but I think they are "good questions."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Larry said:

What apps would work with the 80-column card?  And (anyone) how big of a deal would it be to get one of the many word processors or text editors available for the Atari working with the 1090 80-column card?  It may not be a killer app, but we need at least one app for it. 

Do BASICs work well with it?  IIRC, some 80-column configurations only allowed 80 characters on a Basic line.  The Bit 80 was that way, I think. 

And what are the dimensions (for those of us who are short on desk space)?  Sorry for all the questions, but I think they are "good questions."

Here it is with BASIC XE. Note that this card only works with line text programs. Atariwriter, for example, does not work.

BASIC XE running on an Atari 800XL with the 80-column board.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, scitari said:

Here it is with BASIC XE. Note that this card only works with line text programs. Atariwriter, for example, does not work.

BASIC XE running on an Atari 800XL with the 80-column board.jpg

Atariwriter does not work yet ;)

(I suspect AW80 can be patched...)

3 minutes ago, David_P said:

Atariwriter does not work yet ;)

(I suspect AW80 can be patched...)

I was wondering about that, as it seems there is the specific 80 column version.  Does @flashjazzcat word processor work on it?  I thought one of the videos I saw on YouTube showed a specific version of AtariWriter would work on it (at least the original 80 column card.)

The 80 column card will do text like the XEP-80.

I just tested a line of BASIC code, in Alterra BASIC, with the 80 column card and I was just able to enter a 150 character line without error.  Live screen editing works as well.  🙂    After double-checking with Mapping the Atari, I'd say that the biggest concern will be that the long lines will allow for buffer overflows into page 6 memory.

The 1090XL, with the cable, is around 12 inches deep and a little over 8 inches wide.  The height will be around 4 inches for the smaller (1091 size) cards and around 7 inches for the full height cards.  You may want a little more height for a future case.  I was thinking some about this and the old computer tables would have been fine as they had the TV or monitor on a shelf above desk level.  So, for a 1980's setup, I don't think it would have been an issue.  For a modern setup, that is another story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As far as I can tell from the emulation, the worst problem with the 80-column board is that its firmware is utter cra.... very alpha, that is. Without thourough rewrite there is little hope that it would work reliably on broader scale.

14 minutes ago, drac030 said:

As far as I can tell from the emulation, the worst problem with the 80-column board is that its firmware is utter cra.... very alpha, that is. Without thourough rewrite there is little hope that it would work reliably on broader scale.

Are you referring to the 1090 80 column emulation through Altirra?  The firmware on the HDMI 80 column card is rather simple and based on the same firmware as Atari's 80 column card then combined with the XEP-80 driver with changes for the 1090XL environment.  All it really does it re-direct E: and S: then send the data to the Raspberry Pi Pico. 

Here's the firmware:  xep80.s

Updates and improvements are welcome!    🙂

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 5