IGNORED

HSC18 Round 7: CHUCKIE EGG / SUPER BUNNY

5 hours ago, graywest said:

Super Bunny: RAGEQUIT

? Seriously, I do not possess whatever superhuman skills are required to make these ridiculously precise jumps.

A great looking game, though. Beautiful.

Super Bunny

I was nearly going to IJUSTCANTDOITQUIT...

...but then had a blinding go and made it through R1 with no casualties, completed round 2 and got a new p.b. (juystick for letters, fire after each one - saved to disk well reset reboots so will find out next time if it saved!) ;-)

Can't decided between using the lines or just focusing on the jump target but best to have a wait before each jump to allow your brain to adjust. If time is low just stay put on right and will respawn on left as regualr bunny to save any risks. Try and get the bonus at the start of each level. You can also jump into the tree on either side to return to your hole.

869137627_SuperBunny.jpg.793717fddeca24bd100b92131cf3d0e8.jpg

12 hours ago, McKong said:

Super Bunny level 3 3085

Damn that McKong :mad:

• Like 2

EXTENDING ROUND UNTIL 10PM UK TIME MONDAY 26TH

VOTES PLEASE EVERYONE: >>> Round 8 POLL <<<

latest tables

Chuckie Egg

1st    Deteacher                     430,820  12pts+1pt#
  2nd   tompateus                   399,480  11pts
  3rd   therealbountybob           388,910  10pts
  4th   McKong                        386,570  9pts
  5th   graywest                      369,660  9pts
  6th   8BIT 1337                     298,970  8pts
  7th   Mr Trust                        269,980  8pts
  8th   AtariSphinx                    264,130  7pts
  9th   Caco                             237,570  7pts
 10th   orpheuswaking                54,580  6pts
 11th   carlsson                        35,440  6pts
 12th   jdh                               33,500  5pts
 13th   Gury                             32,570  4pts
 14th   chevymad                      27,570  3pts
 15th   pusakat                         22,440  2pts
 16th   Sikor                             17,270  2pts

#top scoring NTSC player bonus point

Super Bunny

1pt for playing. 1pt for top score and 1pt for top scoring player who doesn't usually win a HSC round*

1st   McKong                              3,085     2pts
  2nd   therealbountybob           3,035     1pt
  3rd   Caco                            1,595     2pts*
  4th   tompateus                     1,550     1pt
  5th   Deteacher                     1,165     1pt
  6th   Gury                             1,000     1pt
  7th   8BIT 1337                        955     1pt
  8th   graywest                         595     1pt
  9th   Sikor                               200     1pt

EXTENDING ROUND UNTIL 10PM UK TIME MONDAY 26TH

@therealbountybob: I have question: I try Super Bunny now (after getting manual from atarimania) and found strange thing: colour version from a8.fandal.cz has corrupt. Is there good version?

Ok, how I find it: in manual is scoring when we jump from platform to platform and super scoring for beat best. When I play, i see, that my score is change only from time to time, i can beat monsters with no scores, never has score where i jump from platform to platform. "WTF?" - i think and try hires version. That is totally diferent scoring, identical as in manual.

So, there is color version with property scoring? This is bored play and get scoring - i don't know, randomly? Try play on B&W version - this is totally different game with this type of scoring... And this version has clear for players...

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

@Sikor Previously in this thread, @8BIT 1337 posted about the same scoring issues that you have. His solution was to use the Atarimania version which supposedly should play better than the Fandal version, though I haven't tried it myself. It would seem whichever version Fandal has uploaded is a buggy one.

Yeah same here, the colour version, the scoring didn't work for me so I played the mono version

• Like 1

5 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Super Bunny

I was nearly going to IJUSTCANTDOITQUIT...

...but then had a blinding go and made it through R1 with no casualties, completed round 2 and got a new p.b. (juystick for letters, fire after each one - saved to disk well reset reboots so will find out next time if it saved!) ;-)

Can't decided between using the lines or just focusing on the jump target but best to have a wait before each jump to allow your brain to adjust. If time is low just stay put on right and will respawn on left as regualr bunny to save any risks. Try and get the bonus at the start of each level. You can also jump into the tree on either side to return to your hole.

869137627_SuperBunny.jpg.793717fddeca24bd100b92131cf3d0e8.jpg

Damn that McKong :mad:

Yeah all good tips. I started focusing on the lines to time my jumps and that's when I made a good improvement. 

This game would be so much more playable if SB was just a couple of pixels shorter, or the collision detection on the elevators was a bit more forgiving. Maybe it would be too easy then?

• Like 2

By the way, "mono version" apparently uses NTSC artifacting so emulator users can enable that for a more Apple II like palette. I suppose if you play Super Bunny on a real NTSC Atari 8-bit, it works out of the box. That makes me wonder if the "colour version" is intended for PAL, but somehow scoring is buggy in that one.

All those except for the a2 file are NTSC/mono versions so if we want a playable PAL colour version we need to check a2.

Edit: It seems that score is updated just as irregularly on this a2 version as on the PAL colour Fandal version, possibly the same file. It is almost like someone converted the graphics to low res colour and screwed up the scoring routine in the mean time.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, carlsson said:

Ok. After 43 minutes of playing Super Bunny, at least I cleared the first level for a total of 845 pts which at least grants me a bonus point.

super-bunny-845.thumb.jpg.e2256f5a432193c8a2533351c44240e5.jpg

NTSC artifacts on a LCD:

super-bunny-ntsc.thumb.jpg.fbda7ee66fa071f174cc2dec6c790e99.jpg

That looks nice.

I didn't think that the 2nd and 3rd levels were much more difficult, apart from the carrot timer being shorter. 

I'm not sure if it is a matter of settings in Altirra, but I noticed artifacting goes towards the green/purple palette while at least on my monitor that clearly takes NTSC composite video, it goes towards the brown/blue palette, which I think is closer to the intended colours given the dogs, bears and kangaroos are more likely to be brown then purple or green.

Edit: Changing palette from Default NTSC XL to Default NTSC XE turns it into blue/orange. I don't know what that means since I'm using a first generation Atari 800 for NTSC and it is neither XL nor XE. All other non-artifact colours look correct on the LCD TFT monitor even in NTSC mode. Then again I don't have a NTSC CRT to compare with.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Never had many Atari 8bit games, but I just got my Ultimate Cart in the mail, so now it's time to join another HSC! My 800 is having trouble running the cart, but luckily I have an XEGS that's getting put to good use!

Chuckie Egg - 14,300

chuckie_egg-14k.thumb.JPG.b23c4e6103e832487dbeb3b7e7a69ee8.JPG

I like how the chickens can beat you to the corn (not really, but it is neat).

Super Bunny - 505

super_bunny-505.thumb.JPG.a7785f8b30e815387339a0a930040837.JPG

Hopping from one platform to the next is unnecessarily hard. I wanted to clear the screen, but not sure I'll boot this one up again.

• Like 3