IGNORED

I present to you, the 7800Jr. Case

PacManPlus

2 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Hi guys.

Here are the vanilla .STL files for the 7800 case.  I did the case badge separate, so it can be printed in another color, or left out entirely for the 'embossed' look.

7800JrTop(WithBack).stl 1.23 MB · 3 downloads

7800JrBottom(WithBack-Unmodified).stl 372.15 kB · 2 downloads

7800JrTopBadge.stl 281.43 kB · 2 downloads

The only thing I ask (and I know I can't enforce this so I just hope that everyone complies).  I put a *lot* of work into this case.  Please don't sell them.

Thank you,

Bob

no problem. I definitely wont sell. I mostly have broken buttons. the white part inside on my fresh dev mod. my case is cracked anyways so this makes a nice fix. thanks so much

• Like 1

Be advised that due to variance that I guess just happens when printing, that the volcano cone portion of the top panel buttons, might not make full contact with the actual panel switches on the 7800 mainboard. I ran into this issue with both the power button and reset buttons on my case shell. My solution was to desolder the panel switches off the board, place a small shim of about .5-1mm thickness under the switch and then solder it back into place making the switch stand a little more proud off the main board and then remove the shim. That then allowed the case shell buttons for my power and reset to make better contact and not require as much of a downward press/force needed to actuate them. Might be due to some very slight warping of the case shell but it looks good on the outside?

So just something to think about. I think those volcano cones would be better if they were a little longer than needed and then you could shave them down as needed for fitment vs being slightly too short. I never brought this up with @PacManPlus because it was only an issue with my printed top shell and I don't recall it being an issue for the case that was done for Albert for PRGE.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing. 🙏 I've been following this project for a while and have been lusting after one of these awesome cases.

As already mentioned though, what about those without a 3d printer? Hopefully there's someone 'authorized' to make & sell them to the community, as I (and a few others here apparently) fall into that camp. I do plan on getting one this year, but it's probably not going to be anytime soon I'm afraid.

I would gladly buy a 3d printed 7800 case from someone!

Sidenote: I really hope a mini 5200 shell (without controller storage wells) is made by someone at some point, but I digress. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/26/2023 at 9:17 AM, PacManPlus said:

The only thing I ask (and I know I can't enforce this so I just hope that everyone complies).  I put a *lot* of work into this case.  Please don't sell them.

Thank you,

Bob

Just Stumbled Upon This!

Still have my OG Christmas '89 7800 sitting next to me, it was Lost for years, an Older cousin had it in Storage with his Colecovision setup.

I ended up buying another one over the years, cheap from a garage sale, that is in a Damaged case.

I recently bartered to get the Kiddos a 3D Printer.

Dad's Turn!

Thanks for the Cool Project and for Releasing the Files!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have there been any more spins on these?     I had two of these case printed as there are a little big for my ender 3.     One in in orange PLA came out decent, the black ABS one has some some curling.    Did anyone have issue with the pegs hitting the buttons on the main board?

When we've replaced buttons on 7800's we've noticed the peg on the original cases can vary in length so have on occasion altered the height of the buttons by putting a bit of rubber underneath them before we solder them in. With the new cases it was the same we just put the rubber shims on the tops of the button (they're sticky backed) for the ones that didn't engage as well as we'd liked. As with everything 7800, there's a bit of variability...

On 12/12/2023 at 6:21 PM, haightc said:

Have there been any more spins on these?     I had two of these case printed as there are a little big for my ender 3.     One in in orange PLA came out decent, the black ABS one has some some curling.    Did anyone have issue with the pegs hitting the buttons on the main board?

Yes, I've found on the 3 or these I've assembled so far, that the Power and the Reset buttons seem to require more downward force to engage the buttons than the others. So similar to what @juansolo said above, on all thee of those consoles, I desoldered the power and reset buttons. I then used a small thin section of plastic that I shimmed under the buttons as I soldered them back down into place so that those buttons stand a tad more proud off the main board and can engage with the button pegs better on the 3d printed shells.

• Like 1

While the button inserts fit just fine , I've tried printing the badge twice the the same issue.    The the badge is slightly to large and the cut out seems too small.    The first two attempts I tried were with the badge 45deg across the bed.   It just fit lat/long just barely on the bed, I'll be trying that next to see if I get a better result

3 hours ago, haightc said:

While the button inserts fit just fine , I've tried printing the badge twice the the same issue.    The the badge is slightly to large and the cut out seems too small.    The first two attempts I tried were with the badge 45deg across the bed.   It just fit lat/long just barely on the bed, I'll be trying that next to see if I get a better result

One of my clients had a professional 3D printing house make this for them, and they too were unable to get the center badge portion to work and so just left it all the same color with it showing the indents into the case shell around the logo.

interesting, a printer that has a big enough bed would be easily be $500, let alone one that can handle two type of filament.      If my bed were big enough I might be able to merge the two gcode exports together with a stop in-between to change out filaments.    Since the sizes don't quite match up, I'll try to rescale to fit and post here one I get a badge that'll more reliable for those us that don't have crazy expensive 3d printers.   

7800Jr-ButtonInserts.stl

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/13/2021 at 8:18 AM, PacManPlus said:

Hi guys:

I've been working on this a while.

Some apologies:

- I used fluorescent green filament (and white for the badge); it was one of the few filaments I hadn't opened yet and I wanted to use a brand new one.

- Sorry about the color bleeds, blobs, and corner lifts.  My old 3D printer just committed Hara-Kiri and I have a new one so I am learning the nuances of this one now.

This case is smaller, fits with or without the RF shielding (I would suggest without when I print with clear filament), and the board sits flat (meaning the AtariVox will now fit without the need of an adapter/cable).

The opening in the back is for the screw that holds the large heat sink on.

Speaking of heat, I haven't tested how this will hold up when the 7800 gets warm.  PLA filament was used.

What do you think so far?

20210513_081948.jpg

20210513_082007.jpg

20210513_082025.jpg

not the design i was expecting but very functional, bold and lovely looking.