IGNORED

Don't Piss Off the Parts Seller Keeping Atari Machines Alive

bfollowell

1 hour ago, mytek said:

If you haven't already, you really should check out the Eclaire because it's already doing that.

I think I've seen that before. It is an awesome project, but what's lacking is a drop in replacement for existing A8 motherboards in existing A8 cases.

13 hours ago, bfollowell said:

If it's changed to $50, that's been a fairly recent development.

Not at all, as $50 minimum (via PayPal) has been there for multiple years, per emails I checked.

I've been slowly routing my purchases out to other suppliers, for sometime now, and my recent (new) VLSIs and system boards have taken place somewhere else, with no minimum purchase required, and all in PayPal. There is no justification (of any kind) to not accept it, nowadays... fees are not excuse either, as they can be transferred to payor, anyway.

The landscape is changing... so moving on, now... 

12 hours ago, Stephen said:

Eclaire is damn close to a 100% perfect FPGA recreation of the entire A8.  Switchable PAL/NTSC, multiple memory configurations, up to 32X CPU acceleration, etc.  We don't have to worry - between originals, hardware, and software emulators, we'll never run out of ways to keep enjoying this hardware.  Also, in a short 20 to 30 years when we are all gone, nobody remaining will give two shits about this junk, so we only really have to worry about the next quarter century.  Eat, drink, and be merry as they say!

Sadly you can’t get an Elcare anymore. I keep bumping the current thread every six months or so but no activity…

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, mdivancic said:

Sadly you can’t get an Elcare anymore. I keep bumping the current thread every six months or so but no activity…

My understanding was there was going to be another run. Have you messaged Panos directly?

2 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Not at all, as $50 minimum (via PayPal) has been there for multiple years, per emails I checked.

I've been slowly routing my purchases out to other suppliers, for sometime now, and my recent (new) VLSIs and system boards have taken place somewhere else, with no minimum purchase required, and all in PayPal. There is no justification (of any kind) to not accept it, nowadays... fees are not excuse either, as they can be transferred to payor, anyway.

The landscape is changing... so moving on, now... 

I would never consider using PayPal for a purchase like that, so I would have never ran into that minimum. That's why I thought it was still $20. Well, it is still a $20 minimum; just not for PayPal purchases. Just another reason for me to not use PayPal with him, not that I've ever really considered it. I'm sorry that you can't use your purchase method of choice.

On 6/22/2021 at 12:18 PM, DarkLord said:

This subject has been, in various forms and places, talked to death...

Just going to throw my 2 cents in here.

I've dealt with, and bought Atari items from Brad and Best Electronics

for 30+ years.

Not one bad experience *ever*.

'Nuff said...  :)

Your just saying your OK with  someone being an ass, as long as they are not an ass with you. 

I mean you KNOW how he is, you just look the other way... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, charliecron said:

Your just saying your OK with  someone being an ass, as long as they are not an ass with you. 

I mean you KNOW how he is, you just look the other way... 

Hmm...rude much? And apparently a mind reader as well.

I do find it odd how many positive reports/experiences there are vs the negative ones.

I certainly do KNOW how Brad is, and I don't have to look the other way. There's no reason to.

Please try to keep these conversations civil. Thank you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DarkLord said:

Hmm...rude much? And apparently a mind reader as well.

I do find it odd how many positive reports/experiences there are vs the negative ones.

I certainly do KNOW how Brad is, and I don't have to look the other way. There's no reason to.

Please try to keep these conversations civil. Thank you.

You are looking the other way, there is reason to,  that part where people have talked to death about this, written articles.. what you don't believe it? 

This is a very interesting thread.

I've only purchased from Best over the last 10 years or so (maybe slightly longer) - I'm really amazed to hear of people here who knew of his service back in the 80s even.  That's amazing!

It's also saddening to hear he's +/- 70 years old already.   Our time here is short, and I certainly hope Best stays around for a long time into the future, and I also hope this community doesn't age out too fast.   Sorry for the negative piece here but I'm sometimes heavily mixed between doing other things than retro Atari community, but also realize the group here thins every year with time :(. 

Anyway, I'm very grateful for the service Brad has given the community.  Bradley is his own unique person and that's a perfectly good thing in my book. 

(I only wish I had discovered Best just a few years earlier when he still had new old stock of complete 8bitters, STE's, and SC1435 monitors :)  )..

- John 

• Like 2

My dad bought a top of the line Samsung tablet including a coupon/code for a free casing with a keyboard. From the very boutique that's called the Samsung store. To really get that casing w/ keyboard, he had to photograph his tablet, the coupon, the bill, the side of his tablet, and two codes on the box it came in. Took two tries to get it right. Confirmation e-mail. Case plus keyboard will be shipped in 6-9 weeks. Shipped. From Korea. Now that's eighties service. And this happened last week. I kid you not!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ivop said:

it's equally true to not piss off your potential client

Ding, ding! Bingo! We got a winner... ?

Some clear, forward-looking thinking there... instead of the (inherently-dysfunctional) self-inflicted "apologetics"...

??

2 hours ago, charliecron said:

You are looking the other way, there is reason to,  that part where people have talked to death about this, written articles.. what you don't believe it? 

What are you trying to accomplish here?  I mean, this is how the world works.  You have a problem with this guy, so don't buy the products from him.  That's fine.  If other people want to support them, then they can do that.  Or not, if they don't want to.  Who cares what is believed or not?  They guy can run his business how he wants, as long as he follows the law.  Is anything he is doing illegal?  If not, what are you trying to get from any of this?  A massive boycott?  Do you think that if enough people get on "your side" then somehow you will get put in charge of the warehouse?  I don't get the aggression and tone you are using here. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Faicuai said:

Ding, ding! Bingo! We got a winner... ?

Some clear, forward-looking thinking there... instead of the (inherently-dysfunctional) self-inflicted "apologetics"...

??

But he is allowed to "piss off" his clients if he wants.  It may cost him business, but he obviously doesn't care.  So why should you?  It's his store to run as he sees fit.  He doesn't owe you anything.  

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Like 6

I run my own business and I've fired client's that have been assholes (really no other way to describe them unfortunately). It doesn't happen often, but it does happen - Especially in today's society where people are told that climbing over one another will get them to the top of the social ladder, while being told the world is theirs for the taking.

Such an attitude doesn't allow for the consideration of others unfortunately, even our own politicians rarely care for the people they represent these days - When they do it's usually spun by the capitalist owned media as a bad thing and the masses lap it up.

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

But he is allowed to "piss off" his clients if he wants.

Well, by that same reasoning, those "pissed-off" customers are allowed to share their experience... 

...or are you suggesting that it should all be swept under the rug and sent to oblivion?

I guess the idea posted above means that just because one does not care, it does not mean that everybody else is not going to care.

Anyhow, specific (and effective) solutions have been presented here, already. It's not all just about objecting someone else's business practices.

36 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

What are you trying to accomplish here?  I mean, this is how the world works.  You have a problem with this guy, so don't buy the products from him.  That's fine.  If other people want to support them, then they can do that.  Or not, if they don't want to.  Who cares what is believed or not?  They guy can run his business how he wants, as long as he follows the law.  Is anything he is doing illegal?  If not, what are you trying to get from any of this?  A massive boycott?  Do you think that if enough people get on "your side" then somehow you will get put in charge of the warehouse?  I don't get the aggression and tone you are using here. 

Just calling him out on the "I never had a problem, nuff said" attitude. If you _know_ someone has kind of been unkind to lots of people, you should be able to say "that's wrong". Its real simple. Its common sense. 

1 hour ago, Faicuai said:

Well, by that same reasoning, those "pissed-off" customers are allowed to share their experience... 

...or are you suggesting that it should all be swept under the rug and sent to oblivion?

I guess the idea posted above means that just because one does not care, it does not mean that everybody else is not going to care.

Anyhow, specific (and effective) solutions have been presented here, already. It's not all just about objecting someone else's business practices.

I’m not suggesting anything, I just think your rude and aggressive tone are mirroring the same tactics you are accusing BE of and I don’t get it. What’s the point? Why are you insulting people? What’s with the condescending attitude? Maybe take a step back, take a breath, and depersonalize this.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, charliecron said:

Just calling him out on the "I never had a problem, nuff said" attitude. If you _know_ someone has kind of been unkind to lots of people, you should be able to say "that's wrong". Its real simple. Its common sense. 

And you’ve said it. So now what? Are you trying to decide what people are allowed to support? It’s okay for others to disagree with you- it doesn’t always mean they are misinformed (especially in cases like this). It isn’t your opinion, it’s the aggressive way y’all are expressing yourselves that’s confusing me. 

• Like 1

I'll add my two cents...

I have done business with Brad since the 90s, and have received a great deal of help, his expertise and hardware over that time. Unfortunately as with many sellers in the retro computer hobby, Brad has become more difficult to deal with recently. He has built up a lot of goodwill with me, so I was fine jumping through the hoops of proper order sizes, timing, formats, etc., until I made a "mistake" and placed two separate orders in the same week. I was immediately informed that "it will be about 2 weeks before
your 1st Atari order will clear our backlogged Atari accounting department. Then you can place another Atari order." I have been unable to place an order since then, and it's been months.

Fortunately for my lifetime I have left, I have more than enough hardware to keep me going (well, except that damn 800 keyboard :) ), but I still feel sad to see Best going down that path. Brad has done a lot of good over the years, really wish he would accept help that he now needs...

• Like 1