IGNORED

XEP80-II a new beginning

mytek

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 12:03 PM, tep392 said:

I have a few boxes of parts sitting here from Digikey, Mouser, Aliexpress and Ebay.  All I need now is the board and NS405 for some 80 column goodness. ?

@MacRorie will be carrying a DIY kit that brings the PCB with the 48 pin NS405 chip already socketed. Not sure on the time frame of it going on sale, but to be honest I just gave him all the specs and a demo unit about a month or so back, so please give him time to assimilate :)

• Like 3

On 11/11/2021 at 2:46 PM, mytek said:

@MacRorie will be carrying a DIY kit that brings the PCB with the 48 pin NS405 chip already socketed. Not sure on the time frame of it going on sale, but to be honest I just gave him all the specs and a demo unit about a month or so back, so please give him time to assimilate :)

The DIY "Kit" is currently available.  https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-800-xl-xe-xel-xld/products/xep80-ii-by-mytek

The Assembled version will be available for sale almost immediately.  Just waiting on a final part.  Let me know if you have questions!

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, videofx said:

I am ordering parts for my XEP80-II, I have 1% resistors, any issues using them?

Thanks!

It's always ok to go with tighter tolerance parts.

And for capacitors it's always ok to go to a higher voltage spec then specified, so long as the part still fits.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, videofx said:

Wow you are lucky! Congrats!

I have all the parts but no XEP80-II yet. Waiting for TBA to get back and ship my XEP80-II :)

I ordered mine about 5 minutes after MacRorie posted his announcement. I must have got in just before the holiday shutdown. :)

But sadly, Digikey sent me some incorrect parts.  It's not the first time either. Very frustrating.

14 hours ago, tep392 said:

But sadly, Digikey sent me some incorrect parts.  It's not the first time either. Very frustrating.

Yeah that happened to me a few times as well. At first I thought I was the one that messed up, which really wouldn't be out of the question ;)  I remember after double checking everything, I discovered the error was on their end. But it's only human to make mistakes (I've made quite a few over the years), and for the most part they've been pretty spot-on at delivering what I ordered. And I've ordered a lot of stuff through them (probably easily numbering in the 1,000s), so a couple of errors is acceptable - and they will make good on it if you contact them.

Developing the XEP80-II was good therapy for me, since it came together fast and relatively easy. i hope the build goes good for you :)

EDIT: BTW, there was a recent change required on the BOM for the nylon stand-offs to mount the AV2HDMI converter, so be sure to grab the latest from my website (BOM). The ones originally spec'ed were actually non-threaded spacers. They'll still work if you provide a long nylon M2.5 screw and nut.

Edited by mytek
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, mytek said:

Developing the XEP80-II was good therapy for me, since it came together fast and relatively easy. i hope the build goes good for you :)

Thanks! I got most of it done last night.  I will finish it up today or tomorrow. I contacted Digikey and they are sending out the correct parts. They sent me 14pos sockets in place of the 16pos parts I ordered.  They think it is likely wrong parts in the bin.  Shit happens.  I should be able to find some in my spare parts. I also mis-ordered the 390 ohm resistors. I normally order extra's of all the cheap stuff, but for some reason forgot to set the quantity, so only got one.  I might just put a 430 and 3.9k in parallel for R2. That will be pretty close to 390.

5 hours ago, tep392 said:

Thanks! I got most of it done last night.  I will finish it up today or tomorrow. I contacted Digikey and they are sending out the correct parts. They sent me 14pos sockets in place of the 16pos parts I ordered.  They think it is likely wrong parts in the bin.  Shit happens.  I should be able to find some in my spare parts. I also mis-ordered the 390 ohm resistors. I normally order extra's of all the cheap stuff, but for some reason forgot to set the quantity, so only got one.  I might just put a 430 and 3.9k in parallel for R2. That will be pretty close to 390.

Did you get the 14mhz crystal? Thats the only part I was unable to get. No-one has any

1 hour ago, videofx said:

Did you get the 14mhz crystal? Thats the only part I was unable to get. No-one has any

I recall the stock being low when I ordered it (12mhz) from Digikey.  The parts I had trouble with were the BAT48 diode and PN2222 transistor. I ended up getting them on ebay.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, tep392 said:

I recall the stock being low when I ordered it (12mhz) from Digikey.  The parts I had trouble with were the BAT48 diode and PN2222 transistor. I ended up getting them on ebay.

Substitute a 631-1105-ND for the 12 Mhz Crystal (they have 28,000 in stock).

Substitute a PN2222ABU-ND (they have over 10,000 in stock). It's actually a pretty generic NPN transistor, so even a 2N3904 as used in the Atari would likely work just as well.

Substitute a SD103AVSCT-ND for the BAT48 Schottky Diode (they have 12,000 in stock).

I have updated the BOM on my website to match with these new selections (it'll have today's date in the page header). Link to: AtariBits XEP80-II Page.

please feel free to look for substitutes on any part while paying attention to the original specifications such as case size, and lead spacing which are shown after entering the part number in the search box at the appropriate website (Digi-Key or Mouser) :)

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, tep392 said:

I’m getting close! Just need to burn a few PROMs and I’ll be ready to go. 
A8D945EC-C18C-475E-B05C-F71FDBBB0887.thumb.jpeg.731367ffae26978fb63744e639dda821.jpeg

Coming together very quickly. How would you rate the ease of assembly? Did you encounter any problem areas (e.g., parts too close together)?

Edited by mytek

30 minutes ago, mytek said:

Coming together very quickly. How would you rate the ease of assembly? Did you encounter any problem areas (e.g., parts too close together)?

I didn't have any difficulties with assembly.  I've produced a few game cartridges for the 7800 and 5200 so have quite a bit of practice soldering. A quality temperature controlled iron helps a lot.  I started with all passive components, then sockets, connectors/switches and finally installed the IC's.  There are quite a few parts so it's important to work thru it slowly and methodically, double checking component values before installing them. 

• Like 3