IGNORED

New game adaptations

COBRA2.ZIP

I'm not sure about is worth to add some trainer for this. And really can not play it self this days.  So, if someone wants to do something for Atari community, please test it, give feedback, and if think that is useful idea what training opt. would help.

Furthermore, I plan to finish with this game adaptations thing, latest at end of this year. So, if someone is interested to do it, I will give them my source files for game launchers and help (dll type support files, TOS in RAM sources, etc) , so can use it for easier start and faster work.  But need to say: good ASM knowledge, Atari ST(E) HW, then TOS knowledge is essential.  

To do some game completely self will need to trace original game code (best to do it with emulator with good debugger, traces), to find floppy loading code and change it with code what will do disk access (of course not directly, but via function calls). Extra functions like exit to Desktop, state saves will need tracing too in big part (except those using TOS for input read, for them there is special code in TOS for RAM) .

Please contact me in e-mail. Will not discuss those things in forum (any) .

1 hour ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

COBRA2.ZIP 666.96 kB · 5 downloads

I'm not sure about is worth to add some trainer for this. And really can not play it self this days.  So, if someone wants to do something for Atari community, please test it, give feedback, and if think that is useful idea what training opt. would help.

Furthermore, I plan to finish with this game adaptations thing, latest at end of this year. So, if someone is interested to do it, I will give them my source files for game launchers and help (dll type support files, TOS in RAM sources, etc) , so can use it for easier start and faster work.  But need to say: good ASM knowledge, Atari ST(E) HW, then TOS knowledge is essential.  

To do some game completely self will need to trace original game code (best to do it with emulator with good debugger, traces), to find floppy loading code and change it with code what will do disk access (of course not directly, but via function calls). Extra functions like exit to Desktop, state saves will need tracing too in big part (except those using TOS for input read, for them there is special code in TOS for RAM) .

Please contact me in e-mail. Will not discuss those things in forum (any) .

Don’t worry. Automation / D-Bug will carry the torch as we have done since 1987. Take care and thanks for everything. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grazey said:

Don’t worry. Automation / D-Bug will carry the torch as we have done since 1987. Take care and thanks for everything. 

Whatever you consume, should stop with it.  Hiatus, abandoning doing 'patches' some 10 years ago . Carry the torch - in your martian heads. Really talking as someone not living on this planet.

The reason for stopping is mostly because I have some plans what to do in next years. Then, as said I don't see that many quality games left.

And poor feedback, people who just take and give nothing (except bad advice - like: too fast music on Falcon - yeah, that's because faster CPU - sure sir, I never heard about that, and why should - I dealt with only 1500 games. 

The truth is that this is very hard 'business' and what people (most) cares about ? How he dares to ask money ?  Well, I go where not only 1 % of those using my hard work really appreciates it.

May sound weird, but similar to idea of communism - work as much you want, consume as you want. That's one of stupidest fantasies ever.

Balance is what works, what is needed in every process, society . I did not see much from balance in this game adaptation 'business' .

But was much better spending of time than for instance watching TV . And keeps brain fit. So, who want to keep his fit ?  ?

I'm working on new game start menu PRG, for usual TOS versions. It will be same as what goes for iTOS (latest versions only, where is possible to run GUI program before loading DESKTOP.INF) . With regular TOS it needs special SW, what is almost same as TOS in RAM (complete one, not only GEMDOS part), and that will be started from AUTO folder, as program not using AES (GEM), but it will use it, just not from TOS in ROM ...

Additionally, I want to expand list with alternative names of some games - there are cases of different titles for same game - She-Fox in Eu. is same as Vixen in Am. , for instance.   Then, maybe to add screenshots, and they will be shown for selected game with mouse click/keypress.

But I will go with it only if there is demand for it, multiple people find it useful. Things are that it does not need lot of time to start selected game, and also it does not need lot of time to reset Atari and select something else ...

Will need min TOS 1.04 .

• Like 3

Agreed.  Great work you have done over the years.  Thanks for fixing so many games!  The Atari ST now has a fine library, compatible with a far wider range of hardware than would have otherwise been possible.  Your efforts are much appreciated.  :)  Many are silent, but recognize the hard work and time going into this project.

@ParanoidLittleMan - I wanted to mention something I found out when attempting to play Air Supply. If I started in TOS 2.06, the game stuck on the Space Invaders loading screen. Nothing else (no desk accessories or AUTO programs) was loaded on the system. However, if I restarted the system in TOS 1.62, then the loading screen completed and I left the Space Invaders mini game and started the actual game.

On another note, when your weather cools down, I hope you can finish the protection on Micro League Baseball II.

From this note, it may not sound like it, but I have appreciated all of your work adapting the games.

Bob C

This 6 games added yesterday are very simple hard disk 'adapts' - basically just copying files from floppies to some DIR on hard disk. Maybe few smaller changes - like correcting path in some. So, it is possible that some will not work with TOS 2.06 .

Not even when run from floppies.   This is why I made solution with TOS 1.04 in RAM - what gives other benefits too.

So, by time those games will have new releases, including simple exit to Desktop and state saves, better compatibility with regular TOS versions . 

I found that they are present only in my Atari ST Game Archive, where mostly floppy versions are. That needed some time to look thru complete archive and hard disk adapt. table - and I think that now really everything I did in period 2008-2022 July is in table.

And it is not bad to see how it was in beginning, new solutions, more features in later ones ..   I know now much-much more about TOS, and that's in big part because game hard disk adaptations. And will say it again: about 2/3 Atari ST games use TOS functions.

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2022 at 8:52 AM, ParanoidLittleMan said:

This 6 games added yesterday are very simple hard disk 'adapts' - basically just copying files from floppies to some DIR on hard disk. Maybe few smaller changes - like correcting path in some. So, it is possible that some will not work with TOS 2.06 .

Not even when run from floppies.   This is why I made solution with TOS 1.04 in RAM - what gives other benefits too.

So, by time those games will have new releases, including simple exit to Desktop and state saves, better compatibility with regular TOS versions . 

I found that they are present only in my Atari ST Game Archive, where mostly floppy versions are. That needed some time to look thru complete archive and hard disk adapt. table - and I think that now really everything I did in period 2008-2022 July is in table.

And it is not bad to see how it was in beginning, new solutions, more features in later ones ..   I know now much-much more about TOS, and that's in big part because game hard disk adaptations. And will say it again: about 2/3 Atari ST games use TOS functions.

http://www.8bitchip.info/atari/SCRSH/advfrum.html

Download link points to Cobra 2, not Advanced Fruit Machine. Just wanted to let you know.

Great work BTW, nice adaptions!

Edited by complicated
  • Like 1

New Game Menu program:  

Works with all regular TOS versions.  Will need lot of time to make all those gameplay screenshots ...

And will make textual version too - that may be useful for people with only 1 MB RAM in their Ataris. Especially with TOS 2.06 .

And of course, it can start automatically after reset - via setting it for auto start in Install Application  (AUTO folder run is not good for GEM/AES SW).

At TOS 1.04 .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

New Game Menu program:  

Works with all regular TOS versions.  Will need lot of time to make all those gameplay screenshots ...

And will make textual version too - that may be useful for people with only 1 MB RAM in their Ataris. Especially with TOS 2.06 .

And of course, it can start automatically after reset - via setting it for auto start in Install Application  (AUTO folder run is not good for GEM/AES SW).

At TOS 1.04 .

How can we purchase this from you? I really want to use it. Do we have to buy new ROM chips, or will you sell it like you do with the driver? I'd like to have the latest driver, the latest floppy runner and this menu system some how and give you $$ from it. 

23 hours ago, jefffulton said:

How can we purchase this from you? I really want to use it. Do we have to buy new ROM chips, or will you sell it like you do with the driver? I'd like to have the latest driver, the latest floppy runner and this menu system some how and give you $$ from it. 

Of course it does not need new ROM chips - my text starts with "Works with all regular TOS versions" .  But what it still needs are game screenshots - will take some time to do over 1500 of it. Of course, it works without them - for starting games, opening their DIR in Desktop.

Latest floppy runner (images) :  in this case, what is latest is not the best. I mean latest is Virtual Floppy combined with hard disk driver SW. It can work as A or as B, but not both at once - the reason is that I don't see real need for it, and that would need more RAM allocated by driver.

First, what I called Floppy Image Runner stored image in RAM - and only 1 at once was supported. That means for instance that usage needs min 2 MB RAM for usual 720-800 KB floppy images.  VF with driver is much better - images are accessed from disk, and max supported size is 2 MB . So, can copy content of multiple floppies in 1 .

And now we are at 'new ROM chips' - improved TOS .  One of features in it is Virtual Floppy - and it can much more than VF with driver.

I will not go here in details. They are here:  http://atari.8bitchip.info/tosimprgu.html

On that page is link to detailed manual of it .

So, when you decided what want, please e-mail me - can get my e-mail address on this page:  http://atari.8bitchip.info/tosimav.html