IGNORED

New game adaptations

12 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Albert's in a banning mood it appears.  I would say discretion is the better of valor when posting.  Although this thread *has* gone off the rails tbh.  Hope it is just a temp ban.

Me too...

• Like 1

I've known Al for quite some time, he's never in a "banning mood"

Also simply not being an ass generally is a good way to avoid moderator intervention.

As for ppera, just continue to post in the thread and discuss whatever he's working on that interests you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, RodLightning said:

Yes sir!

/ I think maybe I will just go back to reading more and posting less for a while.  There are probably better (and safer) forums to go for freely expressing one's opinions.

Nobody is being banned for posting their opinions.  The main reasons someone will be banned are for being abusive towards other members (and consistently doing this), trolling, and spamming (as in, bots that like to spam up and try to post).  Creating multiple accounts is another good way to get yourself banned, and this includes creating additional accounts after you've previously been banned.  Generally I have been pretty tolerant and it takes a lot to get banned, unless the offenses are particularly egregious.  If you consistently demonstrate that you cannot participate in discussions without slinging mud at other members, or just being a jerk in general, you're going to wear out your welcome.  I don't think that's being unreasonable.

In general, the only subjects that we don't allow to be discussed are politics and religion, as those almost always become heated.  And I don't really want to know what your political and/or religious views are.  We did have a Politics & Religion forum a long time ago and in the end it just wasn't worth the hassle to moderate, and it was just pitting members against each other on these subjects.

..Al

• Like 9

As a longtime user and a former global mod here, I'm another who will vouch for Albert being extremely lenient when it comes to banning. One thing many here don't realize is that this was far from ppera's first rodeo with the banhammer. He had been banned before years ago, and I believe his "ParanoidLittleMan" account was a secondary he created a while later. As to what led to him being banned this time, I've no idea, but whatever it was, I'm sure there was plenty of a good reason for it. Another thing important to note is that not all actions that lead to banning are on public display, as I can attest to, being someone who's had his AA inbox filled with diatribes from ppera claiming everything from the mods here hating the ST (certainly not true, why would there be an ST forum?) to us all being racist against Hungarians (yes, that is a real accusation from him, I kid you not). The banhammer is NOT wielded here in an arbitrary manner, nor is it swift in its strike.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

As a longtime user and a former global mod here, I'm another who will vouch for Albert being extremely lenient when it comes to banning. One thing many here don't realize is that this was far from ppera's first rodeo with the banhammer. He had been banned before years ago, and I believe his "ParanoidLittleMan" account was a secondary he created a while later. As to what led to him being banned this time, I've no idea, but whatever it was, I'm sure there was plenty of a good reason for it. Another thing important to note is that not all actions that lead to banning are on public display, as I can attest to, being someone who's had his AA inbox filled with diatribes from ppera claiming everything from the mods here hating the ST (certainly not true, why would there be an ST forum?) to us all being racist against Hungarians (yes, that is a real accusation from him, I kid you not). The banhammer is NOT wielded here in an arbitrary manner, nor is it swift in its strike.

Well thanks, to both of you.  Any curiosity I had is now more than satisfied. :)

Well, regardless of what the Hungarian Muppet wrote on his blog, I had absolutely no knowledge of, or involvement with, his ban. I am also only a moderator of the RAPTOR sub-forum in the Jaguar section, not the entire site. I have no magic powers here.

Who's the "disgusting psychopat" now, eh?

Thats the first, and also last time I'll be reading that horrible rambling of unpunctuated bullshit he calls a blog, so if he carries on ranting about me he can scream into the void.

[Edit] Apparently he's deleted the vomit he threw into the text editor. I guess he's confirmed the "Paranoid" and "Little Man" parts of his screen name.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, dakidski said:

Wait what, you can't ban Peter!

Of course they can and did, nobody is above banning when they conduct themselves as he did, fortunately it's not your call. Just because you may of gained some value out of his work or posts does not excuse everything else. You've clearly not been here long enough to know his history of behavior or what the mods / admins put up with from him behind the scenes. It's all been covered and discussed, try to keep up. 

• Like 4

So I wasn't going to reply anymore to this, but I just received an email (like actually just now) that he's banned from the German forum too.

So basically, that's  Atari-Forum, ExxosForum, Atari-Home.de, and now AtariAge.

How does that even happen?  He's literally BANNED from MORE Atari forums than I actually read and post on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/28/2022 at 3:09 PM, Tillek said:

I mean, I tend to get into it with people too, but at least I wait for a trigger (and I'm not delusional enough to think that it's good behavior).  I mean, this guy comes here and posts insults/rants about things people do ON OTHER FORUMS!!!!!

hummmm

Ok, back on topic.  I am happy to present my first hdd game adaptation - BMX Simulator.

Many thanks to Peter for his invaluable help understanding his haga system and answering my many questions (and helping me with some stupid errors 😄)!

To adapt the game, the floppy protection was removed, exit to desktop/save state was added, and cheat option to select starting level is available.

Feedback/comments are welcome.

bmx_simulator.gif.505b795b809921b886a484fd3d1a58f1.gifbmx_simulator_3.gif.cc091589f50c2cc6dc35b2f71aca9edd.gif

BMXSIMU.zip

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Ok, back on topic.  I am happy to present my first hdd game adaptation - BMX Simulator.

Many thanks to Peter for his invaluable help understanding his haga system and answering my many questions (and helping me with some stupid errors 😄)!

To adapt the game, the floppy protection was removed, exit to desktop/save state was added, and cheat option to select starting level is available.

Feedback/comments are welcome.

bmx_simulator.gif.505b795b809921b886a484fd3d1a58f1.gifbmx_simulator_3.gif.cc091589f50c2cc6dc35b2f71aca9edd.gif

BMXSIMU.zip 257.04 kB · 1 download

So that we're clear....

PPera is banned from pretty much all the major Atari forums, and now YOU'RE going to start doing HDD game adaptations?????

All of the sudden, I'm feeling hope for humanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Yes, I consider you doing this to be a great thing). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Just to be clear, I was working with Peter to learn his haga system even before all this drama happened. 

It just happens that now the first game is done :).

Thanks for your efforts!  Looks like Peter has irritated a number of people in the "community" in a position to block any further direct communication.  In fact, he seems to be living in the heads of a few, rent free, to this day.  If some of these folks put their heads together, they could get him banned from the internet altogether.  Maybe even from the human race!

I will agree that Peter brought some of these negative reactions on himself, but it is a shame to witness someone being cancelled, regardless of the reasons.

I see that he has resurrected the forums on 'Atari St pages by PP'.  Fair enough.  Maybe that was the best thing to have happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Just to be clear, I was working with Peter to learn his haga system even before all this drama happened. 

It just happens that now the first game is done :).

If you want to finish up his work on Micro League Baseball, that would be great. Unfortunately, his current version still has some delayed protection that causes the game to end and the players to run off the field. 

Everyone has a different cost/benefit analysis about Peter so it isn’t worth saying anything anything more about it. 

If the topic stays on hard drive adaptations, that’s great. If it continues to be about Peter, hopefully the topic will be locked. 

Bob C

2 hours ago, darwinmac said:

If you want to finish up his work on Micro League Baseball, that would be great. Unfortunately, his current version still has some delayed protection that causes the game to end and the players to run off the field. 

Everyone has a different cost/benefit analysis about Peter so it isn’t worth saying anything anything more about it. 

If the topic stays on hard drive adaptations, that’s great. If it continues to be about Peter, hopefully the topic will be locked. 

Bob C

Well, unfortunately I don't have the source for his work on Micro League Baseball, so that wouldn't be possible.

As for this topic, I agree it should be locked and a new one started.  Too much negativity and thread-drift in this one.  Best if it was put to rest.  Mods, what say you?

6 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Well, unfortunately I don't have the source for his work on Micro League Baseball, so that wouldn't be possible.

Understood. I thought you might have access to his work. I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Are you planning to create a new website with the adaptations that you complete or will they simply be added to Peter's site? 

Bob C

On 9/3/2022 at 9:44 PM, TheNameOfTheGame said:

I am sure Peter would pass on the MLB code to you, if he had no intention of making anymore adaptations.

A cracked version of the game is on Automation 270, if you want to have a go at adapting that for Bob C ?.

An STX (3 disk) version is also available on Atarimania.

But i do understand you are still in the learning the process and it won't be too easy.

#Bob C

you could email Peter a HAGA save state just before the crash/error, which would make it quicker to track down the problem.

Edited by .mad.

4 hours ago, .mad. said:

I am sure Peter would pass on the MLB code to you, if he had no intention of making anymore adaptations.

A cracked version of the game is on Automation 270, if you want to have a go at adapting that for Bob C ?.

An STX (3 disk) version is also available on Atarimania.

But i do understand you are still in the learning the process and it won't be too easy.

#Bob C

you could email Peter a HAGA save state just before the crash/error, which would make it quicker to track down the problem.

@.mad. - While I hope that Peter shares his work, that may not happen. I did find the Automation 270 disk after I posted this. It does have limitations: TOS dependency (does not work on any TOS later than 1.62 - gives "not enough RAM" error", can only run from floppy image, can not have a hard disk driver loaded (at least Peter's - I did not try it with AHDI or any other driver), crashes when you attempt to end the game after reviewing the game statistics. However, for my purposes, it fills my interest for Micro League Baseball if a hard-drive adapted version is never completed. If @TheNameOfTheGame wanted to start this over again, Peter usually started with an STX image since, I assume, he did not have to worry about any bugs created by whoever cracked the game originally.

Unfortunately, the delayed protection appears to be event driven. It is not like a shoot-em-up where I can say it always happens at this point in the game. In MLB, the "XYZZY doesn't work" error may appear in the 2nd inning or the 8th inning. I have not found any common thread for why it happens. As a former programmer, I know it would be much easier if I could say "when I do this, the protection is enabled and the game stops". That is also why I cannot simply do a save state just before it happens. I do not know when it will happen. I am assuming it has something to do with the computer AI and when it does something that causes it to do a valid software check.

One thing with the crack that is probably a good idea for the hard-drive version (if it is ever looked at again) is removing the mouse support. This is an 8-bit game (with some nice AI improvements they could add because of the additional horsepower and memory size). You do not need to do anything with the mouse. In the current HAGA version, the mouse is very sensitive. It probably was written using a certain TOS as the one that would be used. I am assuming either 1.0 or 1.02.

Whether MLB is ever completed, it is nice to see TheNameOfTheGame picking up where Peter may have left off.

Bob C

On 9/3/2022 at 9:13 AM, Tillek said:

So I wasn't going to reply anymore to this, but I just received an email (like actually just now) that he's banned from the German forum too.

So basically, that's  Atari-Forum, ExxosForum, Atari-Home.de, and now AtariAge.

How does that even happen?  He's literally BANNED from MORE Atari forums than I actually read and post on.

Like I always say.  When a single person has trouble with hundreds of people, it's obviously because those other hundreds of people are the (fill in the blank - problem, a$$hole, etc.)

• Like 3

For those not checking Peter's forum (and why aren't you - releases are announced there first), there are 4 new releases out at the usual spot.

Ace Invaders

Incantation

Vector Invaders

BMX Simulator

For my BMX Simulator adaptation, I asked Peter if he could host the file since I think it is good to have all the HAGA adaptations in one place and I have no interest in hosting a web site. 😄

Plus, with it being on Peter's site, you get the normal Hi-Color loading screens added and a dedicated web page with youtube example video, etc.  Go check it out if you haven't already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 5:44 PM, RodLightning said:

Hi Peter, I see that you have recently been banned from AtariAge.  I hope it isn't permanent.  I feel the need to say thanks, once again, for your contributions to the Atari ST community.  I have personally enjoyed this thread over the years and miss seeing your posts.  I always found them amusing, and felt that your point of view was largely misunderstood.

Your programming and software fixes for Atari ST computers speaks for itself.  Hope you will be able to read this.  I still have your website bookmarked. 

Keep up the good work, my friend.  :)

I agree,

I hope we can see you again here,

• Confused 1