IGNORED

Steam Deck

Reaperman

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

There was a crafting day at a friend's house, mostly making parade throws, but I brought this to work on. It's about day #3 of really working on it.

Hurricane season is here, and vacation season is coming. Last year it took me about an hour to set up my deck+pocket at the vacation rental, and I'm aiming to reduce that with an 'electronics go bag.' It'll have an HDMI-out in addition to the internal projector.  Originally I'd hoped to squeeze a switch or PSTV in there too, but it's looking like just deck/pocket, maybe with a fire stick too. Still working on the bottom foam layer, as it will take the most time.  Should look cleaner when I get to the top foam.

Projector's a surprisingly impressive 720p unit, and that's probably the resolution the deck would rather run at.

I probably should have sourced a broken steam deck's motherboard, or an intel n100 system to shrink the footprint.

0QtblUT.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

In the realm of 'nice surprises' somewhere in the last however-many fixes, my favorite steam racing game Split/Second started working--despite it still sporting the 'unsupported' mark of doom.
WTUq6YN.png

Before recently, it had vertical graphical artifacts that became more noticeable with extended play, and now looks great.  So if you can stand games from 'the brown era,' Split/Second is just an insane experience that no other steam racing game really provides. Being an older title, but with modern resolutions and controller support--this is exactly the type of game I wanted to have on my steam deck. 

An old vid of mine on the title. Knowing me I've probably posted it in this thread already🙄, but I just love it to bits, and steam is low on this kind of action:

In other news, since nobody will sell me a small, 7-11" windows laptop any more, I'm in the market for a new handheld to be my laptop--if that makes sense. It seems I'm looking for amd 6800u (or above) or the z1 extreme.  I've calculated those cpu's should match my desktop 1800x's power. (which half a decade ago was a $3k top-tier monster) But I want a handheld with an (exactly) 1080p screen, and if possible, hall effect sticks.  the three I'm eying the hardest (in order) are GPD Win 4, OneXPlayer's OneXFly, and Asus ROG Ally X. Reviews keep talking about all three of those like they're expensive, but they're cheaper than the big-honking laptops with their specs 🤷‍♂️

This device wouldn't be mostly for gaming, it'd be mostly for high-demand internet usage, and with as much ram as comes standard (32gb, 16 cores in most of these), I can even do a full VM environment handheld which kind of blows my mind.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1