IGNORED

Steam Deck

Reaperman

We're up to 548 games in the steam library that are deck verified. I have 70 or so. (link, again)

I'm happy that it's not just the newest latest titles, and we've got some oddball winners in the list

Some of the more interesting looking ones (to me):

Redout enchanced, ace combat 7, Danganronpa 2, Persona 4 golden, south park(s), fallout 1/2/3, Final fantasy 5/7/8, just cause 2/3/4, project cars 3, grid (remake), lego--about half of 'em, STEINS;GATE, trackmania stadium, that KFC dating game, FTL and Rimworld portable

And holy cow, who ever expected system shock 2 to hit a handheld? All the way in 2022. 

It's a stretch to call any of these 'launch games' but if 95% of all video games are crap, it's nice to draw from the very best titles of the last 25+ years. I think we'll easily see a couple thousand games deck verified by the end of the year.

No neptunia yet!? I've been holding off playing some of the titles just for this console.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 7:10 PM, Reaperman said:

I think we'll easily see a couple thousand games deck verified by the end of the year.

^That estimate is now looking a little low. It's not even a week later and it's currently standing at 909 deck-verified games. Heck, there were ~50 more the morning after I posted that.

Now there are 80+ of what appear to be vr-only(?) games like beat saber, superhot vr, etc.

Sorting by last-update is an imperfect method for determining new titles, but anyway some standouts to me:

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, King Of Fighters XIII, River City Girls, pinball fx3 (don't know if online is a requirement), pinball fx2 vr, halo master chief collection, ion fury, torchlight, moero chronicle, valkyria chronicles, tetris effect connected, art of rally, into the breach, windjammers 2, phantasy star online 2

Edited by Reaperman

2 hours ago, LIME LYSTA said:

If they get KOF XV on there working fine, I'll just be glued to that for a few months, I think. The game is stellar. Get my deck with the first batch, can't wait for it.

Really I'm surprised it hasn't happened already, since so many other KOF games are.  I tend to buy them on deep discount, so I won't have the current KOF for probably a year or two.

3h89duW.png

7 hours ago, Reaperman said:

Really I'm surprised it hasn't happened already, since so many other KOF games are.  I tend to buy them on deep discount, so I won't have the current KOF for probably a year or two.

3h89duW.png

Well,the game just came out yesterday. Doesnt surprise me its not on thr list yet. Give it a bit of time and im sure it will be. Don't wait a year or two on XV, it's absolutely stunning and makes xiii and xiv look like junior dev efforts. 

Glancing around at the bottom of the Fanatical site, they've opened up a new Deck-verified shopping section.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/steam-deck-games

Yes, I checked their main competitor, Humble Bundle, and they currently do not have a platform filter for it, which is where I imagine it will go.

1,272 games are now deck verified (link)

Steam also has a whole new section to check out the deck-verified titles (link)

And IIRC, this was the date the first round get invited to pay for their console with shipping starting the 27th. (anybody here in that round?)

Sorting the first list by 'latest update,' and looking for stuff that looks new to being verified:

Dragon Age Origins, Jet Set Radio, MS flight simulator X, battlefield V, god of war, world of tanks, Automation, Eve Online, Catherine

(my methods are imperfect, and I may have just previously missed some of these being verified before)

I like that they're not all new games, and I like that there are deck verified games I usually associate with other ecosystems, like microsoft, origin, etc. This is going to be a pretty big game-changer for me. I've already picked myself up a 512gb card for this thing. Can hardly wait.

• Like 1

After watching gamers nexus, Linus tech tips, and digital foundry I’m glad I reserved one back in July 01.

Gamers nexus disliked the left haptic trackpad and gyro aim which gives me the impression he hasn’t played much Breath of the Wild or used a steam controller before. Those are both highly customizable controls that are way beyond analog sticks. I think he missed the mark on understanding how customizable Steam controller options can be. Otherwise I really enjoyed his thermal testing and other quality tear down analysis. I really wish the trackpads had more haptic feedback and not less. I was hoping it was going to be the HD rumble of trackpads.

Digital Foundry discussed frame rate in great detail as per their usual modus operandi. I enjoyed their comparisons to the RX460 and GTX1050. Although the SteamDeck is largely billed as a handheld device and not a desktop replacement. So I don’t see the relevance in comparing it to a desktop pc in anyway.

I skipped through most of Linuses video just to watch some of his gameplay coverage. I do agree that this is the start of a beautiful new era of handheld PC gaming. The SteamDeck will hopefully inspire other OEMs to follow suit.

Given Linus' thumbnail, I expected it to be a lot more negative. He's got nothing but good points about making it more usable on its own (shopping from the device, etc). He's right, that has to get better but I don't think that's the specific use case of the preorder backers. Especially since they put a pre-existing account requirement on preorders. Honestly I hadn't even considered shopping from the device as a possibility in my mind.

An on the up side, yesterday Megadimension Neptunia VII went deck-verified. That's a killer app for me, and a good choice for the first in the series, since it has 'Steamax' in it.  In future games I suppose Steamax will need a "CPU-candidate" character, which could get...weird. I still remember describing what was going on in VII to a coworker, and it must have sounded like the mad rantings or fever dreams of a video game collector.

Those Chunsoft/Idea-Factory/Compile games were the first thing I thought of for steam deck. For whatever reason they all run like crap on switch. Still no Death End Re:Quest...

Edited by Reaperman

3 hours ago, Reaperman said:

Given Linus' thumbnail, I expected it to be a lot more negative.

Haha, yes he literally concludes with the sentence "Keep those preorders, because you're going to absolutely love this thing." But he must have analytics that show a negative thumbnail will get more views.

Never having played it, I wonder why "Control" is one of the featured titles? Is there something amazing going on with the physics? Because visually, it's utterly bland. They keep showing sequences of a character walking through mostly featureless, monochromatic office hallways.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Zoyous said:

Never having played it, I wonder why "Control" is one of the featured titles? Is there something amazing going on with the physics? Because visually, it's utterly bland. They keep showing sequences of a character walking through mostly featureless, monochromatic office hallways.

Amazing, it's subjective, but it's heavily physics based, like, ridiculously so imho. ? The art direction is great though, even though it may look bland from afar, I agree. It's also a showcase for ray-tracing even though I don't use it anyway.

Okay, here's a weird one, as it relates to the older games being deck verified.

Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City are now both deck verified.

The weird part, is that they're no longer available for purchase on steam...

I guess it's possible (indeed likely) that they are coming back, but then why not just bring them back now?

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 8:09 PM, Reaperman said:

1,272 games are now deck verified (link)

So the query on that page seems to top out at 2000 games. it's been there for a while.

Looks like I currently own 255 of them, with another 192 on wishlist--awfully round numbers, so I wonder if those queries are capped out too.

Still no chex quest(!), but at least Idea Factory has continued chugging through verifying more of their back catalog.

Some people have been bumped back to q3 for their deck--one of the guys at work preordered the fancy one and got bumped back. Myself and another other coworker went with medium-spicy are still q2.

and it's been out for a bit, but dock image.

I'm a little surprised by that audio(?) cable, looks out of place:

TE0CIx7m.jpg

Edited by Reaperman

The cable at the top is apparently the USB docking/charging port. I'd guess that Valve put it there to avoid the problem that the Switch has with the port being at the bottom and rather inaccessible if you're playing on a tabletop. Still, it does mean that you've got an extra step when you dock it.

In an ideal world you'd presumably have them in both locations but every few grams count in a device like this.

On 3/16/2022 at 3:42 PM, Matt_B said:

In an ideal world you'd presumably have them in both locations but every few grams count in a device like this.

Also in an ideal world, every device would also have multiple microSD slots. Why the heck does everything have only one?--they're tiny, fit everywhere, and let us carry 2x the games. 

Confession time: it appears I've been misleading you all. that (deck verified link) that i've been using, queries FAR broader than it should. It contains games that the (official library compatibility list) indicates are tested as incompatible(!!). So that first link would read more correctly as "somebody bothered to test this game and got some kind of result"

I know steam's being honest by having the 'somebody tried this game and it didn't work' section on that 2nd link, but the games that get tested first are all of the best ones, which leaves us with a 'these are broke' list that looks way cooler than the 'these actually work' lists.  So for right now all those Idea Factory games are 100% not working.  No Nep-Nep!

Edited by Reaperman

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a month since the ^above^ post, so anybody gotten theirs yet? More and more people are getting them, but I don't know anybody (IRL or here) who has theirs yet.

I'm still in the "APRIL - JUNE" window, and a more jazzed about this than anything else in gaming really.

I think the big deal is the 'all the games' feeling that I usually get by modding a console, usually years after its dead

--but now it's a current console, and I already own almost all the games I want, and more games are regularly hitting bundles and deep sales. add into that the 'its just little but a fully functional pc' and wow, is this ever 'my thing.'

Using steams official (what's in you library that's compatible list) instead of that terrible one from earlier, 

it looks like I'm really going to like:

The outer wilds, which I've only recently gotten into, and

deep space waifu, which I'm never ashamed to say is awesome, as well as:

Vampire Survivors, pacer, jamestown (non-plus version only?), danganronpa 2 (just 2?), cloudpunk, duke nukem 3d (20th), dirt 4, valkyria 1&4, horizon chase turbo, cuphead, redout, sonic and all stars racing transformed,  ikaruga, pac man ce 1+2, geometry wars, auto mobeilista 2, stick of truth, crazy taxi, Neptunia (a bunch of them), contra collection, axiom virge, wild guns reloaded, no man's sky

(and those are just from the fully compatible library list)

Edited by Reaperman

• 4 weeks later...

Well, one of the guys from work got his 'invitation to pay for the deck' on thursday, so I'm sure he'll be rubbing it in until my turn comes up sometime probably late June. Until then I just have to play Deep Space Waifu, at home, and out of the public eye--like some kind of weirdo shut-in. 

Anyway, I've been learning more about stick drift, from a recent Ben Heckendorn vid. I really keyed in on the facts that 1) it doesn't have to happen, 2) it didn't used to happen, and 3) even as controllers got more expensive, they switched to the 'going to die sooner than later' business model. ...and so did the steam deck. ? (though its recent bout with stick drift seems to be a firmware issue, they will all eventually suffer with it)

Enter GuliKit, a chinese controller manufacturer that has recently started putting hall effect sticks into their higher end controllers (the 'kingkong 2' line), and has rigged up a prototype steam deck upgrade kit using that stick module.  If they ever become a product, I'm buying a set. Actually I was so interested, I went ahead and ordered myself a king kong 2 pro controller, which does some amazing things (review link). They're expensive for a chinese controller, even from their aliexpress page.

Sh8bEy7m.jpg S4VHmzxm.jpg

9GeDJ2nm.jpg ivj3LC8m.jpg

Edited by Reaperman