IGNORED

Is the Wii dead?

Frozone212

2 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

I was looking forward to the VC. My one chance to play PC engine, NES, GB or or Gamecube games without rental or emulation is gone.

Virtual Console is emulation. 

The Nintendo Switch Online service does the same kind of thing, and a large portion of the old Virtual Console games are there. 

It's not as if you were running and just missed the train, the Wii shop has been closed for almost 3 years

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27560/~/wii-shop-channel-discontinuation

It sucks, but that's the way it goes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There were never any GameBoy or GameCube games on the Wii Virtual Console either.

You can still get the former, as well as NES games, on the 3DS Virtual Console for now though if you're keen. The Switch online service offers better value for the NES games though, and that's something you'll rarely hear in any other context.

For PC Engine games, the Japanese version of the mini console is still available at non-ridiculous prices.

• Like 1

I'm very sentimental about my Wii. I still have it hooked up, right next to the Switch. 

Not to get too sentimental, but the Wii still has both my parent's Miis on there, and both of them passed away about 5 years ago.  I can't bring myself to get rid of it. It brings back a lot of memories at Thanksgiving and Christmas when we finished dinner and played Wii Bowling and Baseball with my parents for hours on end. My father even bought a Wii at age 77, so he and my mother could play Wii Sports in their own home. They also loved the Gamecube version of Crazy Taxi on the Wii.  My kids still get a kick out of playing Wii sports every once in awhile with their departed  grandparents. 

But, my Wii is soft modded and I still use it for Colecovsion, Atari, and NES games. And..I don't know if Super Mario Galaxy 2 will ever come out for the Switch, so my Wii will be the only way to play it in the foreseeable future. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2021 at 9:13 PM, Bartsfam said:

My kids still get a kick out of playing Wii sports every once in awhile with their departed  grandparents. 

Sweet and sad at the same time.

2 hours ago, Zeptari1 said:

Sweet and sad at the same time.

I was trying not to be too corny with my attachment to the Wii, but it is the truth...

In other news, my daughter is a sophomore in college and she says that the Wii is easily the most used console among the girls in her dorm. She said that there are 3 Wii's on her floor, and the top multi player games are Mario Kart, Just Dance, and any karaoke game. Because of covid there are not a lot of activities on campus and their stuck inside trying to have some fun. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have recently been playing around with Wii homebrew and have gained a whole new appreciation for the Wii.  I pulled all my old Guitar Hero instruments down from the attic and was able to install every DLC song on my SD card.  I also got Phantasy Star Online up and running with Nintendont and have started playing that online.  That is in addition to all the emulators/roms that I have running and a large list of WiiWare titles.  And using RiiConnect, you can even restore functionality to many of the old apps, like weather, news, and the Nintendo Channel.  It is a charming little console and can do a lot more than what most people give it credit for.

My kids love the Wii too.  Given the choice of playing games on the Switch or Wii, they almost always gravitate toward the Wii.  I won't be surprised if we start seeing renewed interest in the Wii over the next few years, as people who played it as kids move into their mid 20's and 30's and start making nostalgia purchases.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sargon said:

I won't be surprised if we start seeing renewed interest in the Wii over the next few years, as people who played it as kids move into their mid 20's and 30's and start making nostalgia purchases.

I think it's already happening.  Just this past weekend I sold a Wii bundle to a young lady interested in reliving her childhood.

Personally, I'll take the revival, so I can finally move this mountain of donated Wiis that have accumulated at my thrift store!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Matt_B said:

Wii Sports is coming to the Switch too. Well, it's called Nintendo Switch Sports now but recognizably the same thing.

To me that is a let down.   Wii Sports was a free pack-in and "Wii Sports Resort" was a quality full-priced game with so much more to do.   But "Switch Sports" looks to be closer to "Wii Sports" with only a couple extra games, but will be full price.

• Like 1

Well, it's not full price at least. I don't think the quantity of sports matter so much as how well they're done and, truth be told, the majority of the ones in both the first two games were a bit borked, not that it mattered much as I spent most of my time with the Tennis and Bowling from the first game and the Golf from the second. They're bringing all of those forward and hopefully they'll nail at least a couple of the new ones.

Anyway, even if one of your faves has fallen by the wayside, it's not like the old games are going away. You can still dig out the Wii/Wii U/Dolphin and play them all, after all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

Well, it's not full price at least. I don't think the quantity of sports matter so much as how well they're done and, truth be told, the majority of the ones in both the first two games were a bit borked, not that it mattered much as I spent most of my time with the Tennis and Bowling from the first game and the Golf from the second. They're bringing all of those forward and hopefully they'll nail at least a couple of the new ones.

Anyway, even if one of your faves has fallen by the wayside, it's not like the old games are going away. You can still dig out the Wii/Wii U/Dolphin and play them all, after all.

I enjoyed the events like wakeboarding, the frisbee games, and some others.

Yes I still play the original under Dolphin

But seeing how 'Resort' was one of the highest rated titles in the Wii library, it feels like a missed opportunity to not expand upon it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 5:24 PM, Sargon said:

I won't be surprised if we start seeing renewed interest in the Wii over the next few years, as people who played it as kids move into their mid 20's and 30's and start making nostalgia purchases.

Back in December I was browsing through a used game store in the mall and they had their copy of Wii Sports priced at $49.99 and kept inside the glass case with all the other expensive titles.

I stopped in another store across town later that day. While I was in there a guy walked in and asked the clerk for a copy of Wii Sports, and they had none.

The game with most physical copies in existence was going for $49.99 in one place and sold out at the other. I'd have never expected that in a million years.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2022 at 5:24 PM, Sargon said:

I also got Phantasy Star Online up and running with Nintendont and have started playing that online.

And using RiiConnect, you can even restore functionality to many of the old apps, like weather, news, and the Nintendo Channel.

I didn't know you could do that :0

...or that :0

On 2/15/2022 at 9:30 AM, zzip said:

But "Switch Sports" looks to be closer to "Wii Sports" with only a couple extra games, but will be full price.

It's missing a bunch of games, though =/

I'm guessing, like Animal Crossing, they'll slowly release some of the rest of the games over time.

3 hours ago, Azathoth said:

Back in December I was browsing through a used game store in the mall and they had their copy of Wii Sports priced at $49.99 and kept inside the glass case with all the other expensive titles.

If you think that's bad, you should see Wii Sports Club on the WiiU. I managed to snag it from a Family Video for a really good price, knowing it was the only time I would ever see it cheaper than retail.

I'm wondering if, like some tourist shops, they overprice their common games intentionally to keep people from buying their fancy display items.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Azathoth said:

I'M RICH!!!

• Haha 1