IGNORED

Atari SA releasing limited run 2600 cartridges.

Nall3k

I don't get the animosity.

I would love for new Atari to come out with something I want. I do think the price is steep for what they are offering. I might get Yars. I have the other two. None of the new stuff has really peaked my interest because the people involved haven't engaged the community in any way. I didn't get excited for Circus Convoy for the same reasons. Couple that with prices that are steep for stuff that has been around for a while, this recent retro love has left me feeling meh. 

There have been more exciting developments to come out of this forum that have been given away for nothing than I have seen from any official Atari associated company. This is just another blown opportunity. imo. 

• Like 4

I always feel like I should say something,  but maybe I shouldn't.  If this company stole YOUR Prototype while you were sick in the hospital, or blocked publication of YOUR book on the history of Atari, or sued You as a developer,...Well it's only money or maybe your livelihood, right?  Forgive and forget.  

Keep in mind we gave them (more than) a chance.   I don't get those who ignore the animosity, as if it came from nowhere...

Feel free to vote with your dollars,  I'd never tell anyone anything else.

For my money,  Well,...I'd rather have some homebrews.

(OK,  I should be leaving now, ...)

• Like 7

3 hours ago, hizzy said:

I would love for new Atari to come out with something I want. I do think the price is steep for what they are offering. I might get Yars. I have the other two. None of the new stuff has really peaked my interest because the people involved haven't engaged the community in any way. I didn't get excited for Circus Convoy for the same reasons. Couple that with prices that are steep for stuff that has been around for a while, this recent retro love has left me feeling meh. 

I've got Yars on pre-order.  I'd agree that the Limited Edition version is really expensive, but the standard version seems reasonable to me.

I'm impressed with Circus Convoy, but it's not really the style of game I usually like so I haven't ordered that.  I may yet do it, but right now I've got enough other things to spend my money on that I know I'll like...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

I always feel like I should say something,  but maybe I shouldn't.  If this company stole YOUR Prototype while you were sick in the hospital, or blocked publication of YOUR book on the history of Atari, or sued You as a developer,...Well it's only money or maybe your livelihood, right?  Forgive and forget.  

Keep in mind we gave them (more than) a chance.   I don't get those who ignore the animosity, as if it came from nowhere...

I was completely unaware of this.

My apologies for any offence caused by my comments.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gunther said:

I don't know if you offended any one, but your comments here sound like the typical "hater hater" who posts in the VCS Facebook group and thinks our distrust and hatred of Atari now is just because we're a bunch of luddites who hate new things. Chesnais and Co. earned every bit of the animosity we have for them. Instead of seeing that this community was a large part of what was keeping the Atari name alive, they treated us like thieves.

FWIW, the new regime seems better, but it's going to take more than a few repackaged prototypes to undo the damage.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Gunther said:

In all seriousness, what would you like to see?

Stuff that didn't come out or leak out over the years. Improved versions of some games. Programming techniques are miles ahead of what they once were. Dintari's Pacman 8k is amazing. I don't know if that can even be improved upon. There is a pool of talented programmers right here that they could come to. Imagine the biggest, best version of Adventure you've every played. 

A programmer on the site fixed the rom of Aquaventure for me because of a color issue. On many screens some fish & diver are very close in color to the water. I posted about it 4 years ago. If Atari would have come here to talk about their releases they would know about it. Did they fix it? Maybe but they don't say:

What's the source for Yars' Return? Who fixed the game? Here is a programmer who mentions the issues with Yars Return from the Flashback 2

Saboteur has a beautiful cart with box and instructions here on Atari Age. Been here for years. 

Adventure has a big following. You have Steve Englehart's Adventure Plus, Kurt's Adventure II, Return to Haunted House, which is like an Adventure game. There's Another Adventure which is amazing and goes for good money on the secondary market and has been collectable for a long time. There's Haunted Adventure in the AA store, which has a few different versions of the game on one cart and one version of the cart came in a clear case. There's Evil Magician Returns I and II. I've bought them all. Now the creator of the game finally puts something out and it's not as appealing as any of the stuff I just mentioned. Just a new cartridge of the game which has a ROM that can be played for free. They could have made an Adventure to out Adventure them all but it's just the old game with a pin. And you can get cooler Adventure related collectables on Etsy or in these forus

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1082659001/atari-adventure-dragon-grundle-over-19

• Like 5

3 hours ago, hizzy said:

Stuff that didn't come out or leak out over the years. Improved versions of some games. Programming techniques are miles ahead of what they once were. Dintari's Pacman 8k is amazing. I don't know if that can even be improved upon. There is a pool of talented programmers right here that they could come to. Imagine the biggest, best version of Adventure you've every played. 

A programmer on the site fixed the rom of Aquaventure for me because of a color issue. On many screens some fish & diver are very close in color to the water. I posted about it 4 years ago. If Atari would have come here to talk about their releases they would know about it. Did they fix it? Maybe but they don't say:

What's the source for Yars' Return? Who fixed the game? Here is a programmer who mentions the issues with Yars Return from the Flashback 2

Saboteur has a beautiful cart with box and instructions here on Atari Age. Been here for years. 

Adventure has a big following. You have Steve Englehart's Adventure Plus, Kurt's Adventure II, Return to Haunted House, which is like an Adventure game. There's Another Adventure which is amazing and goes for good money on the secondary market and has been collectable for a long time. There's Haunted Adventure in the AA store, which has a few different versions of the game on one cart and one version of the cart came in a clear case. There's Evil Magician Returns I and II. I've bought them all. Now the creator of the game finally puts something out and it's not as appealing as any of the stuff I just mentioned. Just a new cartridge of the game which has a ROM that can be played for free. They could have made an Adventure to out Adventure them all but it's just the old game with a pin. And you can get cooler Adventure related collectables on Etsy or in these forus

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1082659001/atari-adventure-dragon-grundle-over-19

To be honest, I completely agree.

Check-out Dennis Debro's twitter page for the updates - Qotile's shield graphic has been changed, and new title screen added.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DNSDEBRO/status/1471492698821431305

Dennis Debro also mentions this in his interview with ATARI XP on the websites Discovery blog too, published many months ago (as was the twitter post):

https://atarixp.com/blogs/discover/yars

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Gunther said:

To be honest, I completely agree.

Check-out Dennis Debro's twitter page for the updates - Qotile's shield graphic has been changed, and new title screen added.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DNSDEBRO/status/1471492698821431305

Dennis Debro also mentions this in his interview with ATARI XP on the websites Discovery blog too, published many months ago (as was the twitter post):

https://atarixp.com/blogs/discover/yars

Just Dennis' screen grabs make me want to buy the game. Why not make that more widely seen?

• Like 2

On 4/16/2022 at 5:53 PM, GoldLeader said:

Here is a question I have, if the people behind those decisions are no longer with the company, and new people are in place as management, is it really fair to continue to say the company has screwed them? Look at Phil Spencer when he replaced Don Matrick at Xbox.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nall3k said:

Here is a question I have, if the people behind those decisions are no longer with the company, and new people are in place as management, is it really fair to continue to say the company has screwed them? Look at Phil Spencer when he replaced Don Matrick at Xbox.

15 hours ago, Gunther said:

No offense taken at all my friend.  I probably come off as hostile sometimes,...Sorry about that.   Most people (perhaps including me) don't know the entire history...And it's probably not my place to bring it up (yet again),  but it is a reaction to past events,  not just a "We're haters,  We're punk rock!  We Only like the OLD Atari"...It's not that mindset at all. 

Unless it's changed again,  Chesnais Never apologized (Or paid Vendel's family) and although he's no longer CEO (I believe that's Soulja Boy, ...Joke!),  he wasn't fired (going off of memory here,  so if this is wrong, someone correct me), he was made President of their crypto division.  If they had never done certain things,  I would be way more behind this idea they have to release the carts...Believe it or not I thought it was something they should have done a long time ago.  But that was before they started lawyering up and acting like they're the same Exact company that has always been, and ... (I've explained at least some of it too many times,  It's in past comments) ,...Just vote with your dollars,  I guess.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

No offense taken at all my friend.  I probably come off as hostile sometimes,...Sorry about that.   Most people (perhaps including me) don't know the entire history...And it's probably not my place to bring it up (yet again),  but it is a reaction to past events,  not just a "We're haters,  We're punk rock!  We Only like the OLD Atari"...It's not that mindset at all. 

Unless it's changed again,  Chesnais Never apologized (Or paid Vendel's family) and although he's no longer CEO (I believe that's Soulja Boy, ...Joke!),  he wasn't fired (going off of memory here,  so if this is wrong, someone correct me), he was made President of their crypto division.  If they had never done certain things,  I would be way more behind this idea they have to release the carts...Believe it or not I thought it was something they should have done a long time ago.  But that was before they started lawyering up and acting like they're the same Exact company that has always been, and ... (I've explained at least some of it too many times,  It's in past comments) ,...Just vote with your dollars,  I guess.

I'm in complete agreement with you.

Maybe it's time for the new ATARI team to step-up and address this.

This new team seems to be striving to do everything the old company didn't do with regards to ATARI XP so far though, which should be commended.

If anyone hasn't already, read through ATARI XP website's Discovery blog.

There's some great interviews, features, and a section (the first ever post) which states that new games will be developed across all ATARI legacy platforms.

I agree that ATARI aren't doing a great job getting this across right now.

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

This new team seems to be striving to do everything the old company didn't do with regards to ATARI XP so far though, which should be commended.

There's some great interviews, features, and a section (the first ever post) which states that new games will be developed across all ATARI legacy platforms.

However, they seem to be drip-feeding information out.

Whilst this is not a leak, nor is it in any way confirmed, I think there'll be more surprises in store for the first three releases...

Edited by Gunther

4 hours ago, Gunther said:

From my limited dealings with the new Atari (I did some research on Aquaventure for them and wrote some blog posts for the ATARI XP site), I think they're learning from past mistakes.  The handful of people I've dealt with seem enthusiastic about the old Atari legacy and realize that they need to work with the fan community because we understand the history better than they do at this point.  I agree though that they really need to do a better job of getting their intentions out.  Right now no one on the outside seems to know what they're planning other than releasing expensive physical versions of old games most people probably have a copy of in their basement already.  If they can get their act together, I'm cautiously optimistic that they might actually be able to make a go of it this time, but they'll need to do more than these cartridge releases.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tempest said:

If they can get their act together, I'm cautiously optimistic that they might actually be able to make a go of it this time, but they'll need to do more than these cartridge releases.

Goddammit. Redacted. Can't say what I want to say.

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Goddammit. Redacted. Can't say what I want to say.

I hope this means Atari have reached out to you and Thomas and perhaps other amazing programmers and that you are working on a series of games that will BLOW people away. I'm thinking officially licensed Boulder Dash with the tweaks you mentioned before. I'm thinking Thomas letting loose on a new version of Star Castle. Darrell Spice, Jr. doing an improved Berzerk. Xype being revived as a team. Atari Age X Atari XP branded accessories. 

And what I hope you're holding back on - A brand new 2600 that can play all carts! 

One can dream...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hizzy said:

I hope this means Atari have reached out to you and Thomas and perhaps other amazing programmers and that you are working on a series of games that will BLOW people away. I'm thinking officially licensed Boulder Dash with the tweaks you mentioned before. I'm thinking Thomas letting loose on a new version of Star Castle. Darrell Spice, Jr. doing an improved Berzerk. Xype being revived as a team. Atari Age X Atari XP branded accessories. 

Thanks for the compliment and to put things to rest - no, I have not heard from Atari for quite a few years now. I'm just trying not to say things I might legally regret at some point. They are welcome to contact me, of course... I like to try and knock peoples' socks off.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

no, I have not heard from Atari for quite a few years now.

That's disappointing. Atari really dropped the ball on that. They should be doing more to engage and involve the very people who've kept the platform alive. And not only keep it alive but push it to new heights.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...