IGNORED

Atari SA releasing limited run 2600 cartridges.

Nall3k

10 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I would prefer a tchotchke I can play to one I can’t. I’m not in the market for four games but I might be for one besides Aquaventure.

I would definitely be in the market for Fatal Run, which never came out in the US.

Yeah, I'd drop for a Fatal Run. Falls into the same category to me as Aquaventure in terms of having a nice cart for it.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 5:40 PM, SabertoothRetro said:

However, considering inflation, is $100 really unreasonable?

Here's $100 in 2022 compared to 1981.

Screenshot_20220628-173550_Firefox.jpg

You should work for the Fed.

Example: (source https://usdebtclock.org/ )

Check out Americans income:

Average U.S.A median income in 2000 : $31,879 USD

Median U.S.A. median income in 2022 (NOW) : $35,915 USD

Now check out their two biggest expenses:

Average new car price in 2000 : around $18,000 USD

Average new car price in 2022: around $44,000 USD

Median New Home in 2000 : $165,072

Median New Home in 2022: $404,156

Salaries have barely moved, your money is simply worth less NOW because of inflation which is the increase in the size of money supply not in an increase in prices.

An increase in prices is a side effect of the increase in money printing by the Fed. 

Don't mean to pick on you, but I always see people citing the CPI inflation calculator and not considering salaries when trying to imply things are cheaper now. Salaries did not rise at the same rate as inflation and you buy games with your salary.

• Like 6

On 7/4/2022 at 7:19 PM, polyex said:

Salaries did not rise at the same rate as inflation and you buy games with your salary.

Oh, some salaries did.

2FFF9E1E-72D7-421A-AC63-7E6CF5DDA3CE.thumb.jpeg.3b8d17955445bb1cd989d2b08e4e1fe1.jpeg

“Average” is a useless statistic for understanding complex situations. You have to look at percentiles.

Not does “salary” take assets into account. If I own one house, I can’t really cash in on the rise in housing prices by selling because I will need another house. But if I own three houses I can sell one and just stay at hotels when I feel like not being at my two primary houses.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Oh, some salaries did.

2FFF9E1E-72D7-421A-AC63-7E6CF5DDA3CE.thumb.jpeg.3b8d17955445bb1cd989d2b08e4e1fe1.jpeg

“Average” is a useless statistic for understanding complex situations. You have to look at percentiles.

Not does “salary” take assets into account. If I own one house, I can’t really cash in on the rise in housing prices by selling because I will need another house. But if I own three houses I can sell one and just stay at hotels when I feel like not being at my two primary houses.

Actually, if you read that graph, everyone’s salary increased. In 2019, even the people in the bottom 90% are able to buy 26% more stuff than they could in 1979.

Sure, the top decile and up for a bigger bump in real inflation adjusted dollars, but everyone is better off. A better breakdown would be by 1/5ths (quintiles), so you can see the middle-class (40th-60th percentile) versus people in other quintiles.

Edited by CapitanClassic
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

Actually, if you read that graph, everyone’s salary increased. In 2019, even the people in the bottom 90% are able to buy 26% more stuff than they could in 1979.

Sure, the top decile and up for a bigger bump in real inflation adjusted dollars, but everyone is better off. A better breakdown would be by 1/5ths (quintiles), so you can see the middle-class (40th-60th percentile) versus people in other quintiles.

We really have come a long way.  When I look at income and prices for the bare necessities from back in the day I wonder how my parents did it as members of the middle class of the time.  Nowadays even much of those stuck below the middle class have nice things that we couldn't even imagine back then.  It's easy to get worried about inflation, but as a society we really do keep improving over time.

Oh, and I still regret not ordering Aquaventure.  Sigh.  I see the next batch ETA is August, does that mean the July for the other pre-orders is still likely?  Hoping so...

• 2 weeks later...

People actually bought this? Wow..

I would pay maybe 5 or 10 dollars considering what new games you can buy with that kind of money they are asking that are not old games everyone and their momma already have. 

You have been had bigtime. 

I have 20 pac mans in a drawer. If I print a paper that goes with it that says anniversary edition would you pay 150 each? Many already answered that with a hell yeah all day long response! 

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Countdown now running on Missile Command and Adventure, 3 days to go...  Seemed really fast, but with an August ship date promised I suppose they need to get moving.

First batch still says July shipment, but there's not much July left at this point...

• Like 1

Just to post it here, Biabee (Atari employee) posted the following in the Atari Discord yesterday, for the first shipment of carts:

We've confirmed a delivery date for the printed materials that were causing delays and we expect to ship the week of August 15th

Edited by Mockduck

19 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Just to post it here, Biabee (Atari employee) posted the following in the Atari Discord yesterday, for the first shipment of carts:

We've confirmed a delivery date for the printed materials that were causing delays and we expect to ship the week of August 15th

Awesome, thanks for the share!  A lot of delays on this first batch.  Hopefully the process will be pretty much ironed out now and subsequent batches will go smoother...

• 4 weeks later...

The first three Atari XP carts: Aquaventure, Saboteur and Yars' Return are shipping today, Friday, July 26.  If you've ordered, you'll want to be sure to check your email for VCS redemtption codes and instructions on updating your shipping address (if needed).

From Atari:

All three cartridges in both standard and limited edition are scheduled to ship today, Friday the 26th of August 2022.

We regret the delay in shipments for these XP pre-orders. A number of supply chain issues extended our production timeline, and we did not want to compromise the quality of the product in order to ship the product faster. 

As a gesture of thanks for your patience, we are giving everyone who ordered a cartridge redeemable codes for all three Series One titles on the Atari VCS.

We are also extending a special offer for a heavily discounted Atari VCS Black Walnut All-in Bundle. Use the code VCSFORXP in all caps on Atari.com to purchase a bundle for $319.99. Quantities are limited. One bundle per customer. If the code expires before you get a chance to use it, please contact us and we will make sure you can make a discounted purchase.

We have been able to secure the parts and materials we need for releases that we have planned over the next six months, and look forward to bringing you more of these limited run, collectors versions of classic Atari titles.

Stay tuned for an announcement in the next few weeks!

Thank you,

Atari Support

unnamed.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-26 143621.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/25/2022 at 9:51 AM, nadir said:

I see atarixp.com now just redirects into atari.com.  Kind of nice that they're rolling everything together, but those fun blog entries seem to have disappeared during the move unfortunately.

If you do ever want those there seems to be an internet archive backup

https://web.archive.org/web/20220615083323/https://atarixp.com/blogs/discover

14 hours ago, SabertoothRetro said:

The first three Atari XP carts: Aquaventure, Saboteur and Yars' Return are shipping today, Friday, July 26.  If you've ordered, you'll want to be sure to check your email for VCS redemtption codes and instructions on updating your shipping address (if needed).

From Atari:

All three cartridges in both standard and limited edition are scheduled to ship today, Friday the 26th of August 2022.

We regret the delay in shipments for these XP pre-orders. A number of supply chain issues extended our production timeline, and we did not want to compromise the quality of the product in order to ship the product faster. 

As a gesture of thanks for your patience, we are giving everyone who ordered a cartridge redeemable codes for all three Series One titles on the Atari VCS.

We are also extending a special offer for a heavily discounted Atari VCS Black Walnut All-in Bundle. Use the code VCSFORXP in all caps on Atari.com to purchase a bundle for $319.99. Quantities are limited. One bundle per customer. If the code expires before you get a chance to use it, please contact us and we will make sure you can make a discounted purchase.

So excited that they are finally shipping the carts.  Makes me want to order a VCS as well, but I really don't know that I need yet another system right now...  I do have one last HDMI port on my TV...  :D

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, nadir said:

Nice, thanks!  How did you find that?  I clicked on what seemed like every link I could find and could not get there.  Bookmarking...  :)

In the navigation under "Games", below "Games Content" on the right, Games Blog.

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2021 at 9:49 AM, Xevious70 said:

Good morning. I actually joined this forum almost 20 years ago but haven't been active since 2012, around the time my son was 5-6 years old and I was getting him into my old Atari 2600 VCS. After seeing this ad on an 80s Reddit sub that I'm a member of, I immediately remembered this forum and wanted to pop back in to see what you all thought about it.

Truthfully, I was kinda excited about the Yars' Return title since the original was one of my favs back in the day, but the other two looked interesting as well. No way I can afford to buy all 3, so I wanted to see what everyone else thought. 

Man, it's been a long time. I totally forgot that Atari had released that new VCS thing. I've been pretty out of touch, but I still have my old system and games, and luckily my son still likes to play it too. I'm interested in seeing what kinda homebrew titles are out there that are worth getting, if people don't think these are a worthy investment. 

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for reading, and it feels great to be back after all these years.

I know what you mean. I've been a member for a while, but am only active on here now and then. I'm glad that it still is around. A lot of the good ole forum sites have been replaced by social media. These re-releases look really cool, but they sure are pricey.  Makes me glad that we've got sites like this one and AtariMania where we can get ROMs of so many games.  Some of the homebrew games on here are quite interesting too and rather affordable, especially compared to what Atari wants for those games they have on the site that Nall3K linked to. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 4:25 PM, DarthDuke said:

I know what you mean. I've been a member for a while, but am only active on here now and then. I'm glad that it still is around. A lot of the good ole forum sites have been replaced by social media. These re-releases look really cool, but they sure are pricey.  Makes me glad that we've got sites like this one and AtariMania where we can get ROMs of so many games.  Some of the homebrew games on here are quite interesting too and rather affordable, especially compared to what Atari wants for those games they have on the site that Nall3K linked to. 

For whatever reason, this works very well as a forum compared to many of my other hobbies where the social media "group" has all but replaced forums.

Got my shipping notice today from Atari, so will hopefully have my cart in the next week or so!  Still kicking myself for only ordering the 1, but it was a money decision at the time.  Saw that they have re-released some more, but all ones that I already have, and with that single high price point I'd have to REALLY want one...

I am looking forward to the next AtariAge releases and that's what I'm saving my money for right now!

• Like 1