IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

I'm sure the backers got a thank you at the time of payment. There's nothing for them to crow about, their starting goal was quite low, and they did the self-congratulatory thing up front. The overwhelming majority of their support came on the first day.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atari-vcs-game-stream-connect-like-never-before-family-computers#/updates/all

I like "alleged" because it has shady connotations, just like crowdfunding in general, and Atari in particular.

I'd expect them to be late (early is out of the question) until they prove otherwise. Their campaign is loaded with hedges and weasel words, with no recourse for "backers" if they slip.

They'd probably prefer you used "estimated." So stick with "alleged." :lolblue:

Shocker. Flojo and xyz-user like this! We can always count on you to for that kind of thinking.

Alleged is when you accuse someone of something that you can not prove. Sense Atari made up a timeline and revealed it, then by definition is not alleged anymore. The timeline exists. That is shady faux news reporting. Now the timeline may be BS and they might not make it, however it does exist.

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos
  • Like 2

Alleged is accusing someone of something you intend to prove in the future. Someone who has been indicted of a crime is an alleged criminal. In this case, Atari allege they're going to bring their thing out on time. We shall see.

Yeah, the timetable exists. So do the hardware specs, and the list of confirmed developers.

I still like "alleged." I don't think that's any more shady than the crap that Atari is trying to pull.

• Like 5

Alleged is accusing someone of something you intend to prove in the future. Someone who has been indicted of a crime is an alleged criminal. In this case, Atari allege they're going to bring their thing out on time. We shall see.

Yeah, the timetable exists. So do the hardware specs, and the list of confirmed developers.

I still like "alleged." I don't think that's any more shady than the crap that Atari is trying to pull.

"used to convey that something is claimed to be the case or have taken place, although there is no proof." There is nothing in the definition about intending to prove anything. One can make an accusation with no intent of trying to prove it.

The timeline exists so therefore by definition it is not alleged.

Atari has done some pretty bad crap the last year. I can't believe that the videos are all made up and they still think by saying 'illustrative purposes" justifys it. They haven't even changed the text to say "this video is a flash video overlay and not running on the VCSii". It's borderline fraud.

No matter what happens, you will always trash Atari everywhere. They could hand you a free VCSii and you still would trash them for not delivering it to your door. it's what you do.

"used to convey that something is claimed to be the case or have taken place, although there is no proof." There is nothing in the definition about intending to prove anything. One can make an accusation with no intent of trying to prove it.

The timeline exists so therefore by definition it is not alleged.

Atari has done some pretty bad crap the last year. I can't believe that the videos are all made up and they still think by saying 'illustrative purposes" justifys it. They haven't even changed the text to say "this video is a flash video overlay and not running on the VCSii". It's borderline fraud.

No matter what happens, you will always trash Atari everywhere. They could hand you a free VCSii and you still would trash them for not delivering it to your door. it's what you do.

So, "Atari" engaged in borderline fraud in your opinion, but you're still attacking him for trashing them? For someone that allegedly has worked in news and media for much of your career, you seem to have pretty poor analytical and reasoning capabilities.

• Like 4

So, "Atari" engaged in borderline fraud in your opinion, but you're still attacking him for trashing them? For someone that allegedly has worked in news and media for much of your career, you seem to have pretty poor analytical and reasoning capabilities.

See you just used alleged properly. I have made a claim which is not proved (Although it is scary as you said 'MUCH of your career'.). Good job!

The issue was in how the word was being used. They were making it sound like Atari's timeline was made up and shady. You don't know that. They have a plan and published it. If they didn't pubish it you'd be complaining that they don't have a plan. Now I think you misunderstand how the world works. Just because Atari puts up a video misrepresenting that Tempest 4000 is on the VCSii doesn't mean everything they do is wrong or shady. Their case design of both versions is pretty slick (technically 3 versions). What Flojo and Xuser and several other people on Atariage do is trash everything all day long. It doesn't matter what Atari does they still trash. It's beyond getting old. If Briteny Spears gave them free blowjobs they'd complain cause she spit and didn't swallow. If Atari does something wrong, sure mention it. If they do something right, then mention that as well. Just don't trash them without merit and don't praise them without merit. Be honest and fair.

• Like 1

Those of us who are members of the Vast Atari-Hating Conspiracy also pee in reservoirs and make babies cry between AtariVCSbox updates because we have nothing better to do.

And let me tell you: we've peed in a lot of reservoirs and made a lot of babies cry lately.

• Like 6

See you just used alleged properly. I have made a claim which is not proved (Although it is scary as you said 'MUCH of your career'.). Good job!

The issue was in how the word was being used. They were making it sound like Atari's timeline was made up and shady. You don't know that. They have a plan and published it. If they didn't pubish it you'd be complaining that they don't have a plan. Now I think you misunderstand how the world works. Just because Atari puts up a video misrepresenting that Tempest 4000 is on the VCSii doesn't mean everything they do is wrong or shady. Their case design of both versions is pretty slick (technically 3 versions). What Flojo and Xuser and several other people on Atariage do is trash everything all day long. It doesn't matter what Atari does they still trash. It's beyond getting old. If Briteny Spears gave them free blowjobs they'd complain cause she spit and didn't swallow. If Atari does something wrong, sure mention it. If they do something right, then mention that as well. Just don't trash them without merit and don't praise them without merit. Be honest and fair.

You also don't know that the timeline was accurate. Perhaps "purported" timeline may have been more appropriate. In any event, people who post on the forums are entitled to express their thoughts and opinions. They aren't bound by journalistic standards or anything else. If you can't understand the significant skepticism that people are expressing for this project or why people may be more apt to post attacks given the entire history of what has transpired with this campaign (cancellation of the initial launch with no real explanation, a case that people who have technical expertise understand will not work for cooling purposes, attacking backers who dare to question specific claims made in the few details that were revealed in the campaign, the only crowdfunding campaign I have ever seen that sharply slowed and never truly bounced back in the closing days, asserting that a game that had never even been confirmed with its creator was coming to the console and then using "borderline fraudulent" footage to support the claim, etc...), I would again question how it is that you have been able to function in media for as long as you have. Just because you believe that everyone is required to acknowledge everything positive and negative about a particular product doesn't make it a fact. In any event, if you can't handle a discussion, you are free to ignore it or to go elsewhere. Nobody asked for your opinion and your constant meltdowns that appear to be driven by some type of disorder that I can only assume is on the spectrum are totally inappropriate.

Edited by bojay1997
  • Like 3

You also don't know that the timeline was accurate. Perhaps "purported" timeline may have been more appropriate. In any event, people who post on the forums are entitled to express their thoughts and opinions. They aren't bound by journalistic standards or anything else. If you can't understand the significant skepticism that people are expressing for this project or why people may be more apt to post attacks given the entire history of what has transpired with this campaign (cancellation of the initial launch with no real explanation, a case that people who have technical expertise understand will not work for cooling purposes, attacking backers who dare to question specific claims made in the few details that were revealed in the campaign, the only crowdfunding campaign I have ever seen that sharply slowed and never truly bounced back in the closing days, asserting that a game that had never even been confirmed with its creator was coming to the console and then using "borderline fraudulent" footage to support the claim, etc...), I would again question how it is that you have been able to function in media for as long as you have. Just because you believe that everyone is required to acknowledge everything positive and negative about a particular product doesn't make it a fact. In any event, if you can't handle a discussion, you are free to ignore it or to go elsewhere. Nobody asked for your opinion and your constant meltdowns that appear to be driven by some type of disorder that I can only assume is on the spectrum are totally inappropriate.

If you don't get it by now you never will.

Meh, too many personal attacks over nonsense. If the trolls could please go into their own thread rather than derail this one, everyone will love you over there. I'd prefer to keep this more info-based.

I used the word alleged, but probably should have said "claimed" in regard to the timeline. Will change it.

• Like 2

It's beyond getting old. If Briteny Spears gave them free blowjobs they'd complain cause she spit and didn't swallow.

Quoted for truth. Post of the year nomination right there! :rolling:

Meh, too many personal attacks over nonsense. If the trolls could please go into their own thread rather than derail this one, everyone will love you over there. I'd prefer to keep this more info-based.

I used the word alleged, but probably should have said "claimed" in regard to the timeline. Will change it.

That's not how trolls operate. You cannot segregate them to "Trolls only" threads such as the Atacobox. Trolls need to be free, to stir controversy when needed. Otherwise, they're not being very effective trolls, now are they? :evil:

Those of us who are members of the Vast Atari-Hating Conspiracy also pee in reservoirs and make babies cry between AtariVCSbox updates because we have nothing better to do.

And let me tell you: we've peed in a lot of reservoirs and made a lot of babies cry lately.

Fish pee in reservoirs so why shouldn't I?

• Like 1

The main place I see Atari SA updating the most is on IndieGogo, but even then i see lots of words, but in my opinion they don't really *say* anything.

Let's just pray that they hire a good r&d team and don't make foolish investments into pie-in-the-sky ideas. Feature creep killed many a project... :roll:
  • Like 1

When they do people just complain. Info or no info. That's AntiAtari Age.

Well that is Atari's fault. Look at what Intellivision is doing. They have said they are making something, have an idea of what they want the system to be, and are refusing to take money for it before you can physically play it.

Atari should have done something similar. But instead they wanted $3mil dollars a year in advance for something they don't have a prototype of yet.

It isn't being anti Atari, it is being critical of them making dumb or shady choices. I would love to see an Atari comeback, and I would like to see them not make speakerhats of themselves.

• Like 5

Speakerhats don't smell if you wash them. Speakerhats don't speak if you wash them either. :P

Both problems are only an issue if you buy them. They're back up their "normal" price of $129.99, except for the Kanji Blade Runner 2049 version for $99. I'm not going to post the link because it's a dumb product at this price.
  • Like 1