IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

Reddit does have an atari vcs section without the tacos. Lots of good info there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AtariVCS/

Yeah and there's already a Millennial Nazi on there that wants to shut down sites like AtariAge for hosting ROMZ...all in the name of Great Leader Nintendo. :mad:

...is why I stay off those social media sites.

Edited by MrMaddog

Reddit does have an atari vcs section without the tacos. Lots of good info there.

Like what, exactly? I took a quick look at the posts since "Atari"'s last official update, and they're almost all fan speculation or links to third-party YouTube videos. Nothing official, and nothing really new.
  • Like 4

Speaking as one of the skeptics, I vote to keep this thread open. To my mind, there should be a recognised place to discuss developments with the console that Atari SA has stated a desire to build outside of the Taco Thread.

There's also historical documentation in this thread that should remain open to commentary as events unfold.

I see no harm in this thread continuing to run regardless of how things may happen in the future.

• Like 2

Atari has created a new post on Medium today, and sent out an email notification to backers, featuring some decent pics of their circuit board testing, and a few other things, here.

Among the bits I thought were important to mention:

The rumored paddle functionality could happen: "For the Atari Classic Joystick, the team has been exploring the much-requested “paddle” integration, and we are hopeful that we will be able to 100% confirm this upgrade sometime soon. For now, the official word is that the new joystick still functions as it has been depicted thus far."

The Modern Controller looking like an Xbox controller is acknowledged and deliberate, based on their third party's other work: "The Atari Modern Controller is compatible with and based on Power A’s Xbox One/PC controllers, with the primary difference being the inclusion of wireless Bluetooth to the VCS."

SDK info possible soon: "we hope to first release more details in the next month or two about how the Atari VCS SDK and developer program will work."

Otherwise, it's pretty basic and expected. They're working on stuff, working up specs, tech, vendor relations, and software relations. It'll probably be a while before the public starts seeing info.

• Like 1

The rumored paddle functionality could happen: "For the Atari Classic Joystick, the team has been exploring the much-requested “paddle” integration, and we are hopeful that we will be able to 100% confirm this upgrade sometime soon. For now, the official word is that the new joystick still functions as it has been depicted thus far."

How many times are you going to let them pull the football away from you at the last minute, Charlie Brown?

• Like 8

Wouldn't it be better to offer an Atari 2600 themed case for the Raspberry Pi so you can create your own VCS using Stella? Probably better than what these guys are trying to do.

Actually that would be pretty cool with an Atari logo imprint in the plastic. I would buy it if it was in the same ballpark price as other RP cases. I would not pay premium speakerhat like markup (ie like 20X markup for the Atari logo with speakerhat). My 8 year old son has a $9.99 generic speaker hat .. but the Atari speakerhat is a completely outrageous $199.99.

Edited by thetick1

I'm pretty sure the SDK is available NOW here and well documented at https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/sdk

That SDK kit applies to completely generic Steam Linux builds. Currently there is zero published specs for the Atari VCS, much less a custom sdk. That's not to say one won't exist in the near future however, just that right now we have zero information other than "it will run generic Steam apps."

Actually that would be pretty cool with an Atari logo imprint in the plastic. I would buy it if it was in the same ballpark price as other RP cases. I would not pay premium speakerhat like markup (ie like 20X markup for the Atari logo with speakerhat). My 8 year old son has a $9.99 generic speaker hat .. but the Atari speakerhat is a completely outrageous $199.99.

$199 is completely ludicrus. I wonder if the Atari speakerhat has better sound drivers and electronics. I remember when the Beats Pills were all the rage. I demoed one at Best Buy. It sounded like a tweeter in a tin can doing double duty as full range.

I would never buy a device like this. I am a bass head and most shit undersized drivers don't output anything below 200hz. I need over the ears cushy headphones, or hifi stereo speakers with adequate resonant chambers and woofer/tweet crossovers. My Sony extra bass headphones put out down to 4-23000 Hz. Yes, 4Hz, not a typo.

Wouldn't it be better to offer an Atari 2600 themed case for the Raspberry Pi so you can create your own VCS using Stella? Probably better than what these guys are trying to do.

Except "Atari" would never go that route. The only thing they have of any value is their logo and a nearly 40 year old software portfolio, neither of which can be effectively monetized with a roll-your-own Pi/Stella setup.

• Like 1

It's be cool to have "official & authentic" trading cards for the roms (you) own. Be even cooler to have them done up QR code style like that one project.

One could pay X amount of dollars and get a nice "official" binder, replete with gold trimming, 70's fonts, and quality stock pages and pockets for each "game card".

Each page would have a set of screenshots, some info about the game, a description, and could fold out to contain original instructions and all that.

The goal isn't to make rare shit, but a cheap way (no real engineering involved) to lend physicality in a modern-day practical manner.

---

Only issue is, who is "official" enough to bless this with any sort of meaning?

• Like 1

That SDK kit applies to completely generic Steam Linux builds. Currently there is zero published specs for the Atari VCS, much less a custom sdk. That's not to say one won't exist in the near future however, just that right now we have zero information other than "it will run generic Steam apps."

Obviously.. I guess that was a lame attempt by me to make a joke (beat a dead horse) there is no Atari SDK and there never will be as they will just use the steam SDK if they ever claim to have an SDK. I doubt Atari SA actually has a single employee who has developed modules for an SDK. It will be a real challenge for them to just change package title name to include atari and a few directories if they can figure that out.

Edited by thetick1

$199 is completely ludicrus. I wonder if the Atari speakerhat has better sound drivers and electronics. I remember when the Beats Pills were all the rage. I demoed one at Best Buy. It sounded like a tweeter in a tin can doing double duty as full range.

I would never buy a device like this. I am a bass head and most shit undersized drivers don't output anything below 200hz. I need over the ears cushy headphones, or hifi stereo speakers with adequate resonant chambers and woofer/tweet crossovers. My Sony extra bass headphones put out down to 4-23000 Hz. Yes, 4Hz, not a typo.

My son's $9.99 speakerhat is complete crap quality-wise but it does play with a squeaky chipmunk singing style that my son at young age of 8 finds very entertaining. It's worth $9.99 as a toy for him. I would almost bet the Atari speakerhat comes from the same Chinese plant as my son's generic speakerhat. We just did not pay $190 for the Atari logo.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 2

Obviously.. I guess that was a lame attempt by me to make a joke (beat a dead horse) there is no Atari SDK and there never will be as they will just use the steam SDK if they ever claim to have an SDK. I doubt Atari SA actually has a single employee who has developed modules for an SDK. It will be a real challenge for them to just change package title name to include atari and a few directories if they can figure that out.

Nonsense. Complete and utter crap you are spewing out. The Atari SDK will control things like leaderboards on the Atari side. When you boot up the Linux side and get Steam, then that will be a different OS so to speak. I would bet that Atari will make that hard to do as they get nothing from anything sold on Steam. There will be a SDK. They have said it, it needs to be done and there's no way to use someone else's SDK. Just nonsense but I'm seeing that a lot on these forems.

Edited by SupremeEnchanter

Nonsense. Complete and utter crap you are spewing out. The Atari SDK will control things like leaderboards on the Atari side. When you boot up the Linux side and get Steam, then that will be a different OS so to speak. I would bet that Atari will make that hard to do as they get nothing from anything sold on Steam. There will be a SDK. They have said it, it needs to be done and there's no way to use someone else's SDK. Just nonsense but I'm seeing that a lot on these forems.

Cool. So apart from this being a Nice Thing To Have, can you please tell the rest of us where this is actually happening?

Speculation is fine and all, but please don't treat it as though it's fact.

• Like 5

Cool. So apart from this being a Nice Thing To Have, can you please tell the rest of us where this is actually happening?

Speculation is fine and all, but please don't treat it as though it's fact.

BUUUUT, theTick treated it as a fact. You should have mentioned that. I'm, just pointing out that 1) Atari announced a SDK and 2) they can't use Steam's propiertary SDK (unless they get permission and pay for the rights). These 2 things are facts. My guess is as good as yours but if the system is scheduled for July 2019, then I'd say no later than April 2019. That's 3 months. But then again I have no idea.