IGNORED

SDrive-Simple - Yet Another Hardware Variation

mytek

Uh, actually I did mean move the whole breakout board further away, so it overhangs, and making the notch as wide as the breakout board, not just the width of the micro SD card.

Another thing I was wondering about was a "rotate ATR/disk image button". I don't see an easy way to add one to the current assembly, but is there any way to hook up/tap in to the OPTION/SELECT/HELP buttons directly, and then monitor for a combination like HELP+SELECT to trigger a rotate disk image type operation on the ATMega itself. I mean is the circuit for these buttons exposed anywhere accessible (I don't have an open XL/XE to check at the moment).

Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, E474 said:

Uh, actually I did mean move the whole breakout board further away, so it overhangs, and making the notch as wide as the breakout board, not just the width of the micro SD card.

I figured as much.

2 hours ago, E474 said:

Another thing I was wondering about was a "rotate ATR/disk image button". I don't see an easy way to add one to the current assembly, but is there any way to hook up/tap in to the OPTION/SELECT/HELP buttons directly, and then monitor for a combination like HELP+SELECT to trigger a rotate disk image type operation on the ATMega itself. I mean is the circuit for these buttons exposed anywhere accessible (I don't have an open XL/XE to check at the moment).

Hope this helps!

As the name implies, this is meant to be a 'Simple' SDrive without all the bells and whistles. Its good as a solid state replacement for a single floppy drive. If you want more, then I would suggest going with one of the other SDrive variants already out there, such as the original SDrive or the Max with the LCD.

I only developed this because I was already integrating something similar into an industrial design, so I thought what the heck let me whip out a stand-alone version while I'm at it. It's still useful even with its limitations, thus the reason I chose to share it. Keep in mind that this was never meant to be more than a one day board design project for me. So I consider it done :)

4 minutes ago, E474 said:

Ok, I thought I would throw it out as an idea as you've very kindly shared the sources/info, and you never know if someone else wants to build on it.

To be honest I don't know much about the inner workings of the SDrive-Max firmware that I used in this project. So I couldn't even begin to tell you if provision for physical switches such as drive ID or the swap button was retained. I simply ported the existing firmware into a form that I could then use a TL866 II Plus to program an out of circuit ATMEGA328P chip. You'd need to talk to KBR to see if the swap button aspect is still supported in the Max firmware, and if so which ATMEGA I/O pin is being used for it.

Hello Mytel, guys

5 hours ago, mytek said:

uSD_Card_Slot_800XL.png.cd802917b04b49304f8a76717e57ed59.png

This might work if the SDrive is the only SIO device you are using.  But once you plug a SIO cable in there....

5 hours ago, mytek said:

AdaFruit 254.jpg

Where do the traces start on that Adafruit PCB.  Would it be an option to remove a couple of millimeters off the front of the PCB?

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

OK guys I'll let you chat amongst yourselves, because there's not much more that I can add that I haven't already discussed. This was a quickie project and it is what is, which is either usable or not. Or it can be branched off in some other direction by someone other than myself. Although I think I've provided some good information to make an independent version a little bit easier to develop at this point :)

Edited by mytek
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, Markk said:

Hello Mytek,

I recreated your S-Drive, but it works not.It doesn't do anything.The Atmega 328P burns I use my TL866A. My question about this is, does the code come in "Code Memo" or "Data Memo"?

The software is MiniPro v6.85

greetings Mark

(Google translator)

I use a TL866II Plus, which is the newer version. And I use the XGPRO programming app that works with it, not MiniPro.

Since I do not have the older TL866A or experience with using the MiniPro software that you mentioned, I really can't say why the file I provided didn't work for you (perhaps someone else that has used both programmers can jump in with a comment about this).

Anyway I wish I could help out more in this regard, but I did specifically say in the first page of this topic that the file download provided was for the TL866II Plus programmer. I'll try later today to break it down into two separate file downloads (FLASH and EEPROM) to see if that also works in my setup, and if so, then I'll provide those for download in this topic which may work better with your MiniPro software.

Found out that the firmware file that I previously uploaded had a mistake in it (somewhere?). I have updated that original download which can be picked up on the first post in this topic.

And as soon as I figure out how to individually save the FLASH and EEPROM data, I'll add those as well :)

In the meantime the new firmware download is in a single binary file format that will open in the XGpro programming application for the TL866II Plus. Don't forget to update the fuse settings before you burn the ATMEGA328P chip.

Edited by mytek

Hi Michael,

Have tried your new firmware file, and after I they had adjusted in CodeMemo and DataMemo for the TL866A Burner and software Miniprog v6.85, it runs wonderfully. I took the HxD program for splitting. If you don't mind would I upload the files here?

greetings Mark

(Google Translator)

6 hours ago, Markk said:

Hi Michael,

Have tried your new firmware file, and after I they had adjusted in CodeMemo and DataMemo for the TL866A Burner and software Miniprog v6.85, it runs wonderfully. I took the HxD program for splitting. If you don't mind would I upload the files here?

greetings Mark

(Google Translator)

Too funny I just got done doing the exact same thing but haven't tested it out yet.

This is what I have for the Flash Memory: TL866II_PLUS_SDM_V1.2b.hex

And for the EEPROM: TL866II_PLUS_SDM_V1.2b.eep

I was planning on testing these a bit later today and then posting them on the first page of this topic. If you would double check these as being the same as yours then I will do that.

Those files I uploaded in the previous post were actually both binary (not Intel HEX), but did work fine when checking the binary box in the download window in the XGpro app, and the flashed ATMEGA328P properly performed when I popped it into the SDrive Simple board.

So I renamed the files to be more specific as to what they are, and uploaded them to the first page of this topic.

I then tried converting them to Intel HEX format, but wasn't able to get that to fly. @Markk if your files are in Intel HEX please upload them when you get a chance and I'll add those as well to the first page :)

44 minutes ago, Markk said:

My files are identical to yours. I saved them with Minipro Programmer in Intel Hex format. Should work.

I'll give them a try tomorrow - Thanks :)

I'll name them in a similar fashion as the split binaries only with a HEX extension and add them to the first page for download.

The split HEX files work for me ?

I've added them to the first page on this topic. Thanks again @Markk for doing that :)

So that pretty much wraps up the main parts of this project.

I've had some ideas that I will look into about possibly creating a 3D printed tunnel that would allow better access to the uSD card. It would have a flange designed to sit flush with the back of the case and be forgiving of a poorly cut hole, covering up all the ugly bits. Think of it like a mini 1200XL cart tunnel.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed that if I let the SDrive idle, that after approximately 2 minutes it was like it had powered itself down, and would need to 'wake-up' before disk access was possible. Now I use the term 'powered itself down' which isn't what actually happens (power is present the entire time, and not controlled by the SDrive). Another way of putting it, is that it seems to fall asleep and/or Time-Out.

Here's a video showing what I am talking about...

When the video first begins, I've left the SDrive and computer on, but haven't touched a key in at least 2 minutes. Then I press ENTER over the DEMO directory, at which it falters before finally displaying what's inside the directory. On the 2nd attempt only seconds later there is no faltering and the directory comes up instantly.

BTW, the video is showing my SDrive-Max with firmware version V1.2 installed. I see the same exact thing happen on my SDrive-Simple so apparently this is a firmware thing, and not related to the hardware.

If this 'Time-Out' after being idle for 2 minutes or more was only causing a slight delay, it would be no biggie. However when writing files to the disk via the Atari it can quite often cause corruption of the file which is not acceptable.

Has anyone else noticed this and/or can confirm?

If so, is this associated with V1.2 only?

Edited by mytek

For those that were looking to move the SD card forward.  Here is my work around, Corresponding 90 degree headers.  This is a concept as I'm minus 1 diode and a burned Atmega.  I'm digging for my opposite side header.  I have one I can solder side ways but that moves it even further.  I'll update as I go here.

Thank you

IMG_9484.jpg

IMG_9490.jpg

• Like 3

Not to dismiss your idea @Bee I was thinking that something like this concept might solve the problem and kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

SD Card Tunnel (think 1200XL Cart Tunnel)

tunnel_front.thumb.png.ce37fb628799f464f1f9381b7f2b0456.png

tunnel_side.thumb.png.93f40e830e88a5ac84e057ea1437e3ad.png

Although this 3D concept is definitely not to scale, properly proportioned, or something that would actually print correctly, it still gives you a basic idea of what I have in mind.

This would require a rectangular hole to be cut above the SIO port big enough for this to slide in, and then be held in place by glue or a thin double-stick tape between the backside of the flange and the case. Because of the flange, the actual hole in the case would not require a precision cut, since all the ugly bits would be hidden from view by the flange-over.

Takes care of two issues...

A) No modification of existing SDrive-Simple board required - use as is with the supplied vertical header between the SD breakout board and the main PCB.

B) Precision hole in case and per-requisite skills to do so not required.

Now I don't have the necessary patience or skills to create the real 3D printable tunnel, so hopefully someone down the road can :)

BTW, that PCB/SD Card Slot probably should be positioned lower in the tunnel then what I've shown.

EDIT: one last thing... the hole above the SIO connector could be done as simple as using something like a coping saw to make two straight cuts the same width as the existing SIO hole up to where the case has that thick upper ridge, and then scoring the plastic just below the ridge with a razor knife, and then carefully bend it back and forth until the tab of plastic breaks free.

SD_Card_Tunnel_cut-out.png.ec80370bf2fd21df4545a9367c49bc6d.png

Looking at this now, it became apparent to me that the upper and lower part of the flange-over should be left off of the design in order to fit the available space ;)

Edited by mytek

Maybe you could make it so that it has an inner flange on the sides & top as well, with the space between them the thickness of the case plastic.  This would help hold it in place.

Something like this:

/------------\

----/              \----

---/                \---

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, StickJock said:

Maybe you could make it so that it has an inner flange on the sides & top as well, with the space between them the thickness of the case plastic.  This would help hold it in place.

Something like this:

/------------\

----/              \----

---/                \---

I like that idea :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok now to revisit what I described earlier as the falling asleep aspect when being idle for at least 2 minutes, which was talked about a couple of posts back. Someone in the other firmware update thread had mentioned not seeing this problem, although they were running firmware version 1.3. So I was finally able to update my full blown SDrive-Max with its integrated ILI9341 LCD and a UNO2SIO board to that same firmware version, but unfortunately this changed nothing. So keep in mind that I am currently testing this on the SDrive-Max, and not on my SDrive-Simple board, although from what I saw with V1.2 it shouldn't make any difference.

As I mentioned, V1.3 still exhibits the same falling asleep problem after idling for at least 2 minutes, and is very consistent in this behavior. Just for grins I tried it with Hias's HSIO enabled and disabled which made no discernible change. And I tested this on both a 600XL with a U1MB installed, as well as a 576NUC+. Problem still existed with either system.

Don't know what else I can do, and/or what other kinds of tests to run. For my original stand-alone SDrive application that spawned the creation of the SDrive-Simple board, this idle behavior won't cause any issues, since it always boots just fine on power-up. However it's been a bit annoying during my software development, since I can't rely on updates that I write to the disk to always take without causing errors. So that would rule out doing so as part of a running program, which luckily I don't need to do in my particular application.

Be nice to get some confirmation on what I am seeing from others, so that a pattern can be established for when -or- when not this occurs.