IGNORED

SDrive-Simple - Yet Another Hardware Variation

mytek

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll pass on the chip programmer and instead choose the Adafruit #123 Atmel 328p with the ADAboot bootloader for $5.95. I’ll swap it into my very old Arduino clone and program the SDrive software with  an FT232RL  programmer.

I like your simple design and I’ll report back once the boards are ordered from JLCPCB and assembled. 

1 hour ago, Forrest said:

I’ll pass on the chip programmer and instead choose the Adafruit #123 Atmel 328p with the ADAboot bootloader for $5.95. I’ll swap it into my very old Arduino clone and program the SDrive software with  an FT232RL  programmer.

Yep that makes good sense for the money ?

1 hour ago, Forrest said:

I like your simple design and I’ll report back once the boards are ordered from JLCPCB and assembled. 

I guess you're planning on making more than 3 of them, since OSH Park is only $19 for 3 boards including free shipping. Although I guess if you opted for the slow boat from China, JLCPCB would be even cheaper. However even with DHL shipping since you can get 5 boards minimum it might still be competitive at the per board cost. And of course if getting 10 or more boards, JLCPCB would certainly beat the pants off of OSH Park.

41 minutes ago, Forrest said:

JLCPCB is very inexpensive. I ordered (5) boards that measured about 4 inches square two months ago. I received the boards in 2 1/2 weeks and the total price, including shipping was about $18.

I'm curious what shipping option did you chose? Because I normally go with DHL which can be a bit more expensive, but my boards usually get to my doorstep within 5 days of my order,  and I live in California.

I've got a lot of boards from JLCPCB and sometimes have some of the components installed if they have them in stock.  At this time, I have 10 boards coming.  2 of one type and 2 of another.  The fastest DHL option is usually only slightly more expensive than the "slowest" DHL option.  So I get the fastest option.  I figured 2 weeks from the time of the order until I can test the boards.  Keep the boards under 100mm x 100mm or else there is an engineering fee added.  Price and time also depend upon the number of layers.

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The boards should be here in about a week or two. All parts are ordered except the Atmega328p - seems Adafruit and Mouser are out of stock until 8/8/22. I guess I shouldn’t have mentioned they were in stock last week ?

The other item out of stock is the 3.3V 400 mA regulator listed on the BOM - Mouser, Digikey and Newark is out of stock until 11/22. This regulator is classed as an automotive part. I researched alternates for over an hour - most SOT-223 regulators have a different pinout. The only one that was in stock with the correct pinout was the Microchip TC1108-33VDB. I’m hoping the 300 mA output in enough for this board. Price was good at $.73 so I ordered two. Can you check the data sheet and see if this is a good alternate?

AliExpress is a source I've used for the NCV4274AST33T3G in the recent past, and I've had no issues. They worked fine, and I'm still using one in my 800XL installation, and another in my 1200XL.

AliExpress also has the ATMEGA328-PU listed as well, although I've never bought any of these from them, so really can't vouch for them.

I prefer not to use Aliexpress - you never know about quality and I’ve heard plenty of horror stories. 

According to your schematic, it appears 3.3V is only used for the SD card. I checked a reference design from Adafruit on an Arduino Uno SD card data logger hat #1141 and Adafruit used a 3.3V LDO regulator with a 150 mA output. From a power perspective, it looks like the 3.3V LDO 300 mA regulator I choose above will work

Edited by Forrest

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

Has anyone just mounted the SD card adapter outside the case via wires or ribbon cable? I’m considering doing that, hopefully avoiding the need to modify the case.

I suppose you could do that, but what would be the point? The whole idea behind this implementation was to install it internally. If you're going to put it outside, then why not just go for an SDrive-Max or any of the other external SIO-to-SD card drives made for that purpose.

Hello JGRAHAM2

6 hours ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

Has anyone just mounted the SD card adapter outside the case via wires or ribbon cable? I’m considering doing that, hopefully avoiding the need to modify the case.

Then why not use the PCB Michael designed to make a fully external SDrive?  With a SIO cable or maybe with that extended SIO-connector I saw somewhere.  That way you avoid vulnerable connections and will be able to connect and disconnect the device whenever you want.

Sincerely

Mathy

8 hours ago, mytek said:

I suppose you could do that, but what would be the point? The whole idea behind this implementation was to install it internally. If you're going to put it outside, then why not just go for an SDrive-Max or any of the other external SIO-to-SD card drives made for that purpose.

I like the idea of it being mostly internal, but would rather not modify the case. The only thing external, and it would still be out of sight, would be the SD Card extension. I haven’t eliminated putting a slot in the case, I have 14 800XLs, some with modifications on the case for switches, so it wouldn’t be the first time. I’ve already built a few Max versions and like them.

Anyway, thank you very much for designing this and sharing it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello JGRAHAM2

Then why not use the PCB Michael designed to make a fully external SDrive?  With a SIO cable or maybe with that extended SIO-connector I saw somewhere.  That way you avoid vulnerable connections and will be able to connect and disconnect the device whenever you want.

Sincerely

Mathy

I did consider that and may do it with one of the boards. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

Here is my first attempt. It’s not pretty or perfectly designed, but I will refine it.

09D25099-AF3C-40EA-9FA1-967A2B502D3C.jpeg

That's a damn fine 1st attempt!  I love it, because you did not hack up an Atari computer case.  I know you didn't ask for advice, so here it is.  The only thing I would change, would be get rid of the screws and make plastic "pegs" that could be pushed through, and if glued in place would be invisible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

Here is my first attempt. It’s not pretty or perfectly designed, but I will refine it.

09D25099-AF3C-40EA-9FA1-967A2B502D3C.jpeg

I'm really liking the direction this is going in ?.  Since you said you are planning on refining it, I would assume that you will shrink the SD card slot to only what is necessary.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mytek said:

I'm really liking the direction this is going in ?.  Since you said you are planning on refining it, I would assume that you will shrink the SD card slot to only what is necessary.

Yes, I would like to make it so the board would slide into a slot to hold it more tightly and only the SD card slot would be exposed. I have to learn a few things about design to make that happen.

4 hours ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

Yes, I would like to make it so the board would slide into a slot to hold it more tightly and only the SD card slot would be exposed. I have to learn a few things about design to make that happen.

Sounds like a plan.

Will you be releasing the STLs to the public when you consider the design completed?

• 2 months later...