IGNORED

Season 12 ~ Week 5 ~ Road Runner

Vocelli

34 minutes ago, Jasonhrb said:

As an aside, in one sense it's quite thought provoking that we're playing this the week after doing Asteroids. When Asteroids was converted near the beginning of the 80s, it was one of the top arcade games, being released for top dog machine in the gaming world. By the time Road Runner was released at the end of the same decade, the 2600 was hanging on as a bargain basement machine, and playing the two back to back is (for me at least) an interesting statement on how the world had moved on.

To be fair though, this is a really neat game imho. It showed that there was still a bit of life in the system even at this late stage, and was probably way beyond what the people designing the first 2600 games back in 1977 would ever have thought possible on the system 

That's a really interesting observation, and one that didn't occur to me until you brought it up. For me the game that really epitomized the catalog of late releases on the 2600 was Secret Quest. When the Atari 2600 first came out (and for much of it's lifespan) the gaming scene was all about short arcade experiences and trying to get a high score, and Atari really excelled at that, but by the late 80's most of the gaming word had tired of high score chases and moved on to gaming experiences that took you to new fantasy worlds with stories and lengthy quests to fulfill.

So here was the humble little Atari 2600 still trying to hang on and stay relevant in the face of the NES and Sega Genesis with Secret Quest, a game that tried really hard to appeal to the popular conventions of the time while still sticking to Atari's high score chase roots. It may have been a failure compared to the likes of The Legend of Zelda, but it was kind of a glorious failure and I've always appreciated it for what it tried to do. Secret Quest gets an A in my book and I really hope we play it in the High Score Club someday :)

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 5

Road Runner: 153300

I finally figured out the timing of the cannons on level 4, but now am stuck with the boulders on level 6.  I may figure that out someday, but it won't be this weekend.

A couple other things I noticed:

- On level 1, it seems you have some control over how long it takes for the next truck to appear.  I think it's a function of either how close the coyote is to the edge of the screen or how close you are to the truck when it hits the coyote.  You can rack up more points on level 1 by causing more trucks to appear.  Doing this, I can frequently score 65k-70k on level 1 and in a few games have had scores >80k by the end of level 2.

- Starting level 3, when eating steel shot, the coyote chases you faster with a magnet.  The magnet stays out until you eat the next pile of bird seed.  I often avoid the steel shot, but if there is both steel shot and a pile of bird seed, I may eat both, making sure I eat the bird seed last.

image.thumb.png.519596572128f9f0860856c17a36bfe8.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

13000 points for me so far. Only played this once or twice before. It's very fun!

image.png.2e6dbd98f93c44849b9ec0cd682a26ea.png

EDIT: improvement, 32800

image.png.9b6c128b3029d511a5cf15f72598d829.png

EDIT: Much better. 65900. Level 3 flummoxes me, though - what are you supposed to do when he has the rocket shoes on???

image.thumb.png.cb35752ecc7f95c164e218241dd0a56a.png

Bonus: Round 2 knockout:

image.png.4fd125851efea21534357ab5aca6906e.png

If Wile E. has the rocket skates on, or the magnet, eating a pile of bird seed will remove that advantage from him and he'll go back to chasing you regularly.  For me, I avoid eating the steel shot, unless there's a pile of bird seed right next to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Deteacher said:

For me, I avoid eating the steel shot, unless there's a pile of bird seed right next to it.

The steel shot is the backwards arrow? I noticed that seemed to slow me down and started avoiding it, but maybe I missed some seed.

I spent some time with the NES game earlier this year. I have to say this plays a lot better - that one looks great but is horribly unfair and capricious.

• Like 2