IGNORED

Vyrzon - a new single screen danmaku shmup for the Vectrex

jgkspsx

Just got my copy of the game, and it's really well done.  I wanted to thank Steve (is it?) and whoever else was involved in bringing this game to fruition.  It's not only fun to play (tough!), and beautiful visually and sonically, but all the details around the game are well thought out and executed - the box looks fantastic, the overlay is great and of high quality, the instruction booklet is very professional-looking.  It seems a little pricey when you're paying for it, but when something is done this well, I don't mind spending the money - someone should be paid for doing good work - haven't regretted it one bit.  How lucky are we that folks are still making new games this good for this 40-year old system? - Vectorblade, any of Tuts' games, the VecFever (if you can get one), and now Vyrzon!  We're lucky to have so many talented people interested in the Vectrex.

Thanks for an incredible game!  Hope you make some money off it so you'll do it again!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, paulace50 said:

It seems a little pricey when you're paying for it, but when something is done this well, I don't mind spending the money - someone should be paid for doing good work - haven't regretted it one bit.  How lucky are we that folks are still making new games this good for this 40-year old system? - Vectorblade, any of Tuts' games, the VecFever (if you can get one), and now Vyrzon!  We're lucky to have so many talented people interested in the Vectrex.

Hear, hear! 

• Like 3

On 4/10/2023 at 1:05 PM, paulace50 said:

Just got my copy of the game, and it's really well done.  I wanted to thank Steve (is it?) and whoever else was involved in bringing this game to fruition.  It's not only fun to play (tough!), and beautiful visually and sonically, but all the details around the game are well thought out and executed - the box looks fantastic, the overlay is great and of high quality, the instruction booklet is very professional-looking.  It seems a little pricey when you're paying for it, but when something is done this well, I don't mind spending the money - someone should be paid for doing good work - haven't regretted it one bit.  How lucky are we that folks are still making new games this good for this 40-year old system? - Vectorblade, any of Tuts' games, the VecFever (if you can get one), and now Vyrzon!  We're lucky to have so many talented people interested in the Vectrex.

Thanks for an incredible game!  Hope you make some money off it so you'll do it again!

Many thanks, I appreciate the feedback! It is more expensive than I wanted it to be but it is not a cheap thing to put together, and of course there is tax & other expenses to consider.

I hope everyone that has a copy is enjoying the game. If you want a copy then as posted there is another chance to buy the game on Friday, and more will follow that (probably next month).

Cheers, Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 4/20/2023 at 6:29 PM, mikesk8 said:

Are you planning to sell it digitally as well? I would love to buy the physical version, but the final costs (tax/postage/customs) to the NL are a bit too high for me.

Thank you!

I hope to do so in future but am concentrating on the physical version for now. I'll announce on twitter & shop mailing list if/when download is available.

For others wanting a physical version, I am working on the next batch which should be finished in the next week...

• Like 2

On 4/26/2023 at 11:10 AM, minwah said:

I hope to do so in future but am concentrating on the physical version for now. I'll announce on twitter & shop mailing list if/when download is available.

For others wanting a physical version, I am working on the next batch which should be finished in the next week...

Can I please just buy directly from you, via PayPal or something other than your website? I tried to buy a copy last Friday at exactly 20:00 BST, which equated to 3pm here, had the time blocked off, was refreshing the page, hit buy at exactly the moment it became available, and while I was still checking out (ShopPay sucks!!) I got an error message saying it was no longer available. It literally sold out within 1.5 minutes. I have screenshots of it all. Same thing happened again this week. 

Meanwhile, some profiteering speculator in Uppsala, Sweden has already put up a listing for a copy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155530325233?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=OThW5Vd8Ryi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=cssq4zlBQMK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I'd happily pay you more than what you're charging on the minsoft site and send you pictures of my Vectrex collection and setup to prove that I'm a legit Vectrex enthusiast because I really do want to play Vyrzon after so much hype and anticipation. 

On a side note, I'm sure you know who that scummy eBay seller is. There can't be more than one guy in Uppsala buying this game. There's no way they didn't buy it for the express purpose of instantly flipping it, knowing the Vectrex market. It'd be a decent service to the community to cut off that person from future purchases and to warn other homebrew developers exactly who the individual is. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blazing Lazers said:

Meanwhile, some profiteering speculator in Uppsala, Sweden has already put up a listing for a copy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155530325233

On a side note, I'm sure you know who that scummy eBay seller is. There can't be more than one guy in Uppsala buying this game. There's no way they didn't buy it for the express purpose of instantly flipping it, knowing the Vectrex market. It'd be a decent service to the community to cut off that person from future purchases and to warn other homebrew developers exactly who the individual is.

Hello Blazing Lazers, it is me, the profiteering speculating scummy Ebay seller from Uppsala, Sweden. Nice to meet you too.
However, you seem to have got some things wrong about me. So if you will allow me, I like to briefly explain the situation.

First of all, I am sorry you have had trouble in purchasing Vyrzon. Minsoft is working on the next batch I've heard, so I am confident you should be able to buy a copy sooner or later.
I can also understand that seeing an Ebay listing for the game when it is currently sold out, rubs you the wrong way. But there is more to it than meets the eye actually.

I am that guy who needlessly makes retrogame related items in metal, regardless if it is prudent to do so or not. I collaborated with Minsoft to make a set of aluminium shells for Vyrzon. One of them has already surfaced as the "lucky #100" where the shell for the 100th Vyrzon sold, secretly was changed for an aluminium one, commemorating the milestone that 100 people in this very small hobby had got the game. I do recommend you to read the text in that ebay listing a little closer. I know I am a bit vague there, but if I right out write that the profit will be shared 50/50 between Minsoft and Meek Wizard Machining, Ebay would close the listing labeling it as fundraising against their rules.

I do hope that listing sells for a ungodly tall sum of money.
That particular one, serial #105, will be sold with hope to recoup some of the costs Minsoft and Meek Wizard Machining had when bringing the game to market. Granted, my part in the Vyrzon development was VERY VERY small, but I made that aluminium shell, so I offered to arrange the auction for it. Besides, it would look really strange if Minsoft put up an auction for his own game at the same time when it sells out again and again, don't you agree?

Minsoft had all kinds of expenses ranging from getting the boxes, manuals and overlays professionally printed to bulk buying all the cartridge shells, PCBs and PROM ICs to be able to physically make Vyrzon available to be bought. My (as Meek Wizard Machining) part in the project was only making a number of aluminium shells. But even so, aluminium raw material and mill tooling for doing the engraving had to be bought. So yeah, there were expenses. Minsoft does not rely on preorders, so he had to fork out for all the material and services needed out of his own pocket. As for my part, I did not charge anything at all for making the aluminium shells. I proposed that we make a few more and sell them to recoup the money that way, and one additional copy to be sold for charity. 

I hope I by this reply can prove to you than I am indeed NOT a profiteering speculator and scummy ebay seller. At the very least, I try my best to not be those things.
There is a not very up to date gallery of things I have made in the past over at: buymeacoffee.com/MeekWizard (you do not have to buy me a coffee to see the gallery)

Best regards
/Tony of Meek Wizard Machining

Edited by Fruktodlaren
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blazing Lazers said:

Can I please just buy directly from you, via PayPal or something other than your website? I tried to buy a copy last Friday at exactly 20:00 BST, which equated to 3pm here, had the time blocked off, was refreshing the page, hit buy at exactly the moment it became available, and while I was still checking out (ShopPay sucks!!) I got an error message saying it was no longer available. It literally sold out within 1.5 minutes. I have screenshots of it all. Same thing happened again this week. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155530325233?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=OThW5Vd8Ryi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=cssq4zlBQMK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I'd happily pay you more than what you're charging on the minsoft site and send you pictures of my Vectrex collection and setup to prove that I'm a legit Vectrex enthusiast because I really do want to play Vyrzon after so much hype and anticipation. 

I'm afraid I have to sell through the shop, as I feel that is the only way to be fair. I am aware it is frustrating for those who are unable to buy a copy before it sells out and for that I apologise. However, I will be making more batches until I run out of materials or sanity so I'm sure you'll be able to get one in the future, if you keep an eye on the emails for release dates.

As for the aluminium cartridge version for sale, I guess you didn't read the description and came to the wrong conclusion. Of course I do not condone scalping (and have taken some measures to try to prevent that) but as you will have seen by Tony's response this is absolutely not the case here.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Blazing Lazers said:

Quoting my own earlier post in light of new information. Anyone reading it, please disregard it and do indeed bid on the Vyrzon listing, or any future one from the seller, as it turns out that he is a reputable member of the Vectrex community and the proceeds from the sale will be reinvested in the community. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fruktodlaren said:

Hello Blazing Lazers, it is me, the profiteering speculating scummy Ebay seller from Uppsala, Sweden. Nice to meet you too.
However, you seem to have got some things wrong about me. So if you will allow me, I like to briefly explain the situation.

First of all, I am sorry you have had trouble in purchasing Vyrzon. Minsoft is working on the next batch I've heard, so I am confident you should be able to buy a copy sooner or later.
I can also understand that seeing an Ebay listing for the game when it is currently sold out, rubs you the wrong way. But there is more to it than meets the eye actually.

I am that guy who needlessly makes retrogame related items in metal, regardless if it is prudent to do so or not. I collaborated with Minsoft to make a set of aluminium shells for Vyrzon. One of them has already surfaced as the "lucky #100" where the shell for the 100th Vyrzon sold, secretly was changed for an aluminium one, commemorating the milestone that 100 people in this very small hobby had got the game. I do recommend you to read the text in that ebay listing a little closer. I know I am a bit vague there, but if I right out write that the profit will be shared 50/50 between Minsoft and Meek Wizard Machining, Ebay would close the listing labeling it as fundraising against their rules.

I do hope that listing sells for a ungodly tall sum of money.
That particular one, serial #105, will be sold with hope to recoup some of the costs Minsoft and Meek Wizard Machining had when bringing the game to market. Granted, my part in the Vyrzon development was VERY VERY small, but I made that aluminium shell, so I offered to arrange the auction for it. Besides, it would look really strange if Minsoft put up an auction for his own game at the same time when it sells out again and again, don't you agree?

Minsoft had all kinds of expenses ranging from getting the boxes, manuals and overlays professionally printed to bulk buying all the cartridge shells, PCBs and PROM ICs to be able to physically make Vyrzon available to be bought. My (as Meek Wizard Machining) part in the project was only making a number of aluminium shells. But even so, aluminium raw material and mill tooling for doing the engraving had to be bought. So yeah, there were expenses. Minsoft does not rely on preorders, so he had to fork out for all the material and services needed out of his own pocket. As for my part, I did not charge anything at all for making the aluminium shells. I proposed that we make a few more and sell them to recoup the money that way, and one additional copy to be sold for charity. 

I hope I by this reply can prove to you than I am indeed NOT a profiteering speculator and scummy ebay seller. At the very least, I try my best to not be those things.
There is a not very up to date gallery of things I have made in the past over at: buymeacoffee.com/MeekWizard (you do not have to buy me a coffee to see the gallery)

Best regards
/Tony of Meek Wizard Machining

I couldn't edit my earlier post but please do accept my apologies. I was indeed unaware of who (you) the seller is and it's a very reassuring thing to know that for once a high eBay sale of a Vectrex homebrew will directly benefit the community.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, minwah said:

I'm afraid I have to sell through the shop, as I feel that is the only way to be fair. I am aware it is frustrating for those who are unable to buy a copy before it sells out and for that I apologise. However, I will be making more batches until I run out of materials or sanity so I'm sure you'll be able to get one in the future, if you keep an eye on the emails for release dates.

As for the aluminium cartridge version for sale, I guess you didn't read the description and came to the wrong conclusion. Of course I do not condone scalping (and have taken some measures to try to prevent that) but as you will have seen by Tony's response this is absolutely not the case here.

I noted my error and thank you very much for your efforts on this game. Rest assured that even though there's intense demand I still intend to get a copy and that it will never end up on eBay. 

Also, thank you very much for doing what you can to thwart the (inevitable) scalpers. The Vectrex homebrew scene, like so many others, has had too many of them over the years. 

If you wanted, you could surely charge more for this game. I can't speak for anyone else but I know I'd be fine with paying a bit extra to buy directly from you the developer. There's definitely some good amount of unmet demand for this awesome game! 

• Like 4