IGNORED

Open Lara engine on the ATARI Jaguar

Gunther

4 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

How would you know? ;-)

All we know is that the 68K could not handle it, as expected.

Especially not in C.

Well, everyone else just blindly speculates with no proof or anything to substantiate their claims.  The magical "GPU in main", "just turn off 68000", and every other claim we've seen repeated ad infinitum since 1995.  Given that nothing magical has appeared out of the air showing this incredible untapped power of the Jaguar since 1995, that is my basis of my opinion.  Until I see otherwise.  I'd love to be proven wrong.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Well, everyone else just blindly speculates with no proof or anything to substantiate their claims.  The magical "GPU in main", "just turn off 68000", and every other claim we've seen repeated ad infinitum since 1995.  Given that nothing magical has appeared out of the air showing this incredible untapped power of the Jaguar since 1995, that is my basis of my opinion.  Until I see otherwise.  I'd love to be proven wrong.

I have no idea what you are trying to contribute to this topic. 

Its pretty clear that the Jaguar could not rival the PS version, but the GBA version does not seem to be totally unreasonable for a playable framerate. 

Question is why people would play an inferior version of a game that is on all platforms? And why would someone go through all this pain to rewrite the renderer for the Jaguars really special hardware?

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

I have no idea what you are trying to contribute to this topic. 

Its pretty clear that the Jaguar could not rival the PS version, but the GBA version does not seem to be totally unreasonable for a playable framerate. 

Question is why people would play an inferior version of a game that is on all platforms? And why would someone go through all this pain to rewrite the renderer for the Jaguars really special hardware?

I guess just trying to temper expectations.  After 27 years of constant "Jag can run Quake if only ###" arguments it gets beyond tiring.

• Like 3

Just now, Stephen said:

I guess just trying to temper expectations.  After 27 years of constant "Jag can run Quake if only ###" arguments it gets beyond tiring.

I don't know how Skyhammer was programmed, but that was a real surprise to me. Full texture mapping and a playable frame rate too.

5 minutes ago, alucardX said:

I don't know how Skyhammer was programmed, but that was a real surprise to me. Full texture mapping and a playable frame rate too.

It's a great showpiece for the Jaguar for sure, but, to be fair, the draw distance is super close and the display window relatively small, as well as the fact that the engine really chugs in parts.

• Like 3

Just now, Bill Loguidice said:

It's a great showpiece for the Jaguar for sure, but, to be fair, the draw distance is super close and the display window relatively small, as well as the fact that the engine really chugs in parts.

All very true. Maybe scaling back texturing could have helped?

3 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

You haven't seen GBA TR yet? It's an even shorter draw dis. And super low res. Its chugging along badly although there are not many moving objects on screen.

The reason everyone think its impressive is the platform its running on.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, alucardX said:

I guess it was because the developers were fully focused on the Jaguar, and not to make portable code that should work on any platform.

I would love to see Descent using that engine:

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

Hm, are you sure? The GPU is clocked 26 MHZ and does all the math for 3D, including barrel shifter, Matrix multiplication, support for FPU?

The 68K is not supposed to do any 3D heavy lifting. Its should not be a reference for Jaguars 3D computing. 

I was comparing 68k ( hence the current version) and ARM7TDMI. The GPU may outperform the ARM. But I assume only hand written/optimized code. The 4k is the challenging part ?

• Like 2

There is no need of FPU with OpenLara, there are a bunch of files with fixed point arithmetics, if the game is compiled on a modern platform it uses the floating point version.

I need to finish and test it the "rendering command queue", the idea is to "convert" each frame into a set of matrix operations, vertex transformations and mesh drawing commands, then pass this queue to the GPU to do the heavy work.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, swapd0 said:

There is no need of FPU with OpenLara, there are a bunch of files with fixed point arithmetics, if the game is compiled on a modern platform it uses the floating point version.

I need to finish and test it the "rendering command queue", the idea is to "convert" each frame into a set of matrix operations, vertex transformations and mesh drawing commands, then pass this queue to the GPU to do the heavy work.

Are you also going to convert the color to us CRY?

12 hours ago, phoboz said:

Question is how much it is re-writing as compared to starting from scratch?

If it's not only C code, but if it's code using floating point variables? This is something that needs to be emulated (very slow) even if run on the GPU. E.g. the Jaguar does not have a FPU (Floating Point Unit), nor did the PSX, nor did any other non-high-performace-computing-system at that time (with the exception of systems equipped with the Motorola 68881/2, 486DX, or Pentium II processors) So in that case it's not only about re-writing some code in assembler, but to completely redo the math.

It was originally designed for the Saturn and PSX back in 1996. Neither had floating point. No need to redo any math. It's been done for 26 years. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, JagChris said:

It was originally designed for the Saturn and PSX back in 1996. Neither had floating point. No need to redo any math. It's been done for 26 years. 

Totally off topic, but it's about time they put Cad Bane into a live action show!  Possibly one of my favorite Star Wars characters...

Back on topic, wasn't it the PS2 / Dreamcast era where floating point units became more common in game systems?

• Like 1