IGNORED

Open Lara engine on the ATARI Jaguar

Gunther

29 minutes ago, alucardX said:

But this is OpenLara, not the original code written for Saturn/PSX.

I thought OpenLara was a reverse engineering of the original code? 

Either way it's also been out for 20 years for the Ngage. Another system without floating point.

OpenLara itself is already ported to the PSX. Whether it's the original code or however, it's obvious they figured out the fixed point versions.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JagChris said:

I thought OpenLara was a reverse engineering of the original code? 

Either way it's also been out for 20 years for the Ngage. Another system without floating point.

OpenLara itself is already ported to the PSX. Whether it's the original code or however, it's obvious they figured out the fixed point versions.

Yes, having a codebase to work from they have the ability to adapt the engine where needed.

Why won't we use floating point on the Jag? JRISC has a command to check for leading zeros. First you use 32bit to move world coordinates to camera relative coordinates. For multiplication you need 16 bit. So you convert everything to 16 bit exponent and 16 bit mantissa. The exponent is shared by a draw call. Like you first draw the stuff at the back with a large exponent. Then you draw everything with a smaller exponent until you draw the nose of the wolf in Laras face.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, phoboz said:

I guess it was because the developers were fully focused on the Jaguar, and not to make portable code that should work on any platform.

I would love to see Descent using that engine:

Rebellion developments  had expanded greatly in terms of the number of staff and available teams, by the time of Skyhammer and were very focused on multi platform titles. 

They issued a Press Release which said with Jaguar AVP and Chequered Flag now finished, they were working on the following titles:

Legions Of The Undead:Progress varied depending on platform. (Jaguar, PlayStation and PC) 

Hammerhead (aka Skyhammer) Jaguar 40% complete.

Tyrant-A strategic war game headed for PC 30% complete.

Typhoon Omega-A title which all they could say was it was headed for PC and they weren't going to say anything else about at that time.

And others....

Jason Kingsley told C+VG magazine that whilst Legions Of The Undead was originally intended as a Jaguar only, entry-level, explore and shoot opus using the AVP engine..

It had been totally rewritten for Jaguar, PC and Playstation.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, leech said:

Dude, the Jaguar could TOTALLY run Quake if only Atari had made a Jaguar 5 last year. 

12 hours ago, leech said:

One would hope we would at least have a 68010 by then...

Unfortunately they only built a VCS 2 and forgot to include a 680x0 at all ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, zzip said:

Dude, the Jaguar could TOTALLY run Quake if only Atari had made a Jaguar 5 last year. 

3 hours ago, 42bs said:

OMG, 680x0 are dead horses. Even ColdFire is. And MCORE (if someone knows this dead born thing).

Yeah, this would be pointless. I know it's the wrong forum, but what we *really* need is a Lynx III that could run Quake. Could upgrade to a 65C816-based CPU (Still in production) to beef up the computing power ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Editorb said:

Ooo! Ooo! Can it have SCSI ports?

And expansion slots!

SCSI? You are a real Oldtimer, boy. But it is an Atari, so ACSI ? But, we had a Jaguar with Ethernet, so.

But, a handheld with expansion slotS? 

Edited by 42bs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 42bs said:

HDMI out is already done. There is someone makeing a console out of a Lynx with joystick port, HDMI connector and a new casing.

Seems like the Analogue Pocket theoretically already accomplishes that goal and then some, although of course it's going to be stock constrained for (at least) the remainder of 2022.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Editorb said:

Ooo! Ooo! Can it have SCSI ports?

And expansion slots!

We need to think bigger, it is 2022 after all!

-dual SCSI ports

-5 disc CD-ROM carousel

-instead of a channel 2-3 switch or a 3-4 switch, it could have a channel 2-3-4 switch!

-maybe the controller can have a built-in LCD touchscreen that displays extra buttons, in case you lose the plastic overlays..

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Seems like the Analogue Pocket theoretically already accomplishes that goal and then some, although of course it's going to be stock constrained for (at least) the remainder of 2022.

Realistically the Evercade seems sufficient. I don't think we're talking about realistic things here though. After all, this is coming from a guy with 3 Lynx (Lynxs?) who spends more time than he should trying to decide if he should pick up the Lynx I or II on any given day to have a quick game of Checkered Flag. This lifestyle of plenty would have blown my pre-teen mind when I was busy plotting my  route if I won this.

Also, I can play Quake on nearly any computing device made in the last 20 years, at least one of which is within a foot of me 24/7 these days. But if I could play it on the Jag or Lynx... the world would be a better place.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cubanismo said:

Realistically the Evercade seems sufficient. I don't think we're talking about realistic things here though. After all, this is coming from a guy with 3 Lynx (Lynxs?) who spends more time than he should trying to decide if he should pick up the Lynx I or II on any given day to have a quick game of Checkered Flag. This lifestyle of plenty would have blown my pre-teen mind when I was busy plotting my  route if I won this.

Also, I can play Quake on nearly any computing device made in the last 20 years, at least one of which is within a foot of me 24/7 these days. But if I could play it on the Jag or Lynx... the world would be a better place.

Funny idea of the day; PiStorm for the Jaguar.  Just throwing that out there.  :P

• Like 1