IGNORED

The Atari Report will cease operations March 1st.

BIGHMW

12 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

Something you COULD do "in front of the camera" is make a blog about your life. I think there would be a fair amount of people who would be interested in that if done right. It would be a "mentally disabled overcomes challenges and faces setbacks" type of thing. Be careful not to post too angry posts/videos, as that would turn people off. 

This.   You are a good story teller, and you have a way with words.  Tell your story, in your words. 

Edited by DavidC

18 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

As a few have already discussed here, there also comes a point where you do have to be honest with yourself and realize that the dream may be over and it's time to move on. 

Solid advice for anyone! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2022 at 12:06 AM, Keatah said:

...or I'd much rather stay home scrapbooking and curating my emulation collection (checking file dates and scanning manuals) than going to a superbowl or some other sporting event - no matter how grand it may be. Sporting events are meaningless to me. And I can't wait for the olympics to end.

I relate 100%, but I mainly wanted to say: Proper usage of the word "curating," finally! The English language thanks you!

2 hours ago, Chris+++ said:

I relate 100%, but I mainly wanted to say: Proper usage of the word "curating," finally! The English language thanks you!

Yeah, here at AA we do English gooder than most other places.   Its self awareness really.  We know if we slip up, the grammar nuts tend to loose there mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

Yeah, here at AA we do English gooder than most other places.   Its self awareness really.  We know if we slip up, the grammar nuts tend to loose there mind.

Man, you could of gotten this right, and you should of. I seen it done better.

Also aren't "curates" the things on your nails?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've been meaning to respond to the original post here,  yet kept thinking better of it...

But, OK, here goes.

I like you and you have heart...

But,

Well... if you're doing something for fun and because you enjoy it,  then by all means Carry On.

However if you're doing it for money and treating it as a job/business,  just quit at once! 

I'm not sure what your actual job is,  but maybe you could ask them for more hours, or see about getting promoted in some fashion or take on extra duties to make ends meet?

• Like 6

Also,

If it were me,  I'd give up on the Cindy Margolis schtick.  I've hung out with some famous people,  want to hear about it?  Didn't think so, and I'm not gonna tell you.   See how that's just better for all concerned?

If you must compare yourself to someone,   Find some other YouTube guy with tens of subscribers and go to town.  How about MistahMegaman?  (Or was it MistahMegaManFan?,  whatever it is)...He often gets 3 likes on his videos,  but they're real likes (Sometimes I'm even one of them).  He didn't have his best friend, Uncle and Grandma stacking the deck for him...wait a minute,  I guess I don't know that.  But regardless,   He carries on.   Not for money, but I assume because he wants to.

I mean guys like you and me, Keatah, and Razzie...If NCIS had a casting call looking for a corpse or a crack addict,   Sure!  Here we go!  Our moment in the sun...

• Haha 4

And to those here following along who are just now figuring out that YouTube is retarded...WTH?   I've been saying that since it first appeared.

I mean I like it for what it is,  Sometimes remembering a video Game or hearing music, sure, and I like it when I learn something or when the camera captures something like a bear in a swimming pool or a cat falling out of a tree... or car crashes by stupid people.

But compare your average YouTube guy in a basement or barn complaining about something video to, say a real show like The Mandalorian;   Something that fires the imagination and has plot and characters, and music and Special FX and Sound FX and Cinematography...Something that shows you a world you've never been to... It's like comparing a rusty go kart to a showroom fresh Rolls Royce!   But don't get me wrong both have their place.

• Like 1

For the record (pun intended) I've been in bands myself;  I'm not going to say which ones, as people can look that up if they wish,  so I can see the allure.

I've worked in a music store, had a brother and father who were musicians etc. so I know people join/form bands for different reasons.  I do think you have talent.  Not a bad rapper for a white guy...But it looks like you're chasing fame like someone in their 20s.  Not necessarily a slam, mind you.  I know people who were in bands to make money or become famous.  Those were never my reasons.  I did it for the music, the art, and the creativity necessary to create something unique,... and to hang out with my friends and like-minded people.   If I wanted, I could brag "Hey I made $450 in an hour!",  but that would disavow the hours of preparation, the thousands invested, the lyric writing, the rehearsals, the recording, artwork of flyers and covers, the setting up of tours, and venues, sound, lights, security, ....It'd be a complete lie if you figured in all the other costs or mention the fact that I only did it Once haha...On the plus side, not a single band I was ever in changed their style to become popular, tried to write a hit radio song, or sold out to make money. 

I guess I'll say it again, that I don't want you to be discouraged, but my advice is to do what you do for fun...If you do it as a job,  you may find the fun will be sucked right out of it.

PS:  Best of Luck with all of your endeavors!

Sorry to have posted so much in a row here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

If it were me,  I'd give up on the Cindy Margolis schtick.  I've hung out with some famous people,  want to hear about it?  Didn't think so, and I'm not gonna tell you.   See how that's just better for all concerned?

My parents' claim to fame was pumping gas with a hollywood heavyweight in the 70's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

If it were me,  I'd give up on the Cindy Margolis schtick.

I don´t have a problem with the Cindy Margolis thing. Everybody needs somebody to look up to, and for him it is her, which is fine. I also don´t mind hearing about it. Perhaps I am too interested in celebrity stuff.

As long as he doesn´t exploit her, I think it is just a quirky thing that makes him him.

2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

I've hung out with some famous people,  want to hear about it?

Actually, I would. :)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

I think the Big HMW guy is really the smart one on this string, thread, yarn.  He routinely starts a thread (sometimes repetitive, overstated, common sense stuff), then sits back and watches it all fly about.  He's laughing out loud at all these comments.  I think it is by design.  DBM.

Like a puppetmaster or something, lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I don´t have a problem with the Cindy Margolis thing. Everybody needs somebody to look up to, and for him it is her, which is fine. I also don´t mind hearing about it. Perhaps I am too interested in celebrity stuff.

I'm sure it's all ok. I mean it hasn't caused any harm, has it?!?

36 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

I think the Big HMW guy is really the smart one on this string, thread, yarn.  He routinely starts a thread (sometimes repetitive, overstated, common sense stuff), then sits back and watches it all fly about.  He's laughing out loud at all these comments.  I think it is by design.  DBM.

I do this all the time, not necessarily here on line, but at parties and camp outs. Oftentimes I'm known as the best conversationalist while having kept quiet for 90% of the discussion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gilsaluki said:

He should apply that same design to his youtube channels and all his dreams will be realized. 

Heck, from what I've seen in this tread, he could post a deeply tragic "woah is me" story and one user will view and comment enough to send it viral all by themselves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, perhaps maybe you guys are right about having fun doing things rather than chasing the proverbial rainbow in which I will never get to, let alone the proverbial pot of gold at the end of it. Of course the end of The Atari Report actually relieves the pressure put on myself to impress (and entertain) all of you. Don't forget I STILL HAVE both my Atari 5200 and my ColecoVision and have been contemplating about downsizing to just two units for quite some time, and they are those.

On the front of production, I DO have two new miniseries coming to my Ray Jackson YouTube channel (www.YouTube.com/RayJacksonBIGHMW) coming in the short future, "ColecoVision EXTRA!", and, "The Atari 5200 SuperReport" in which I'll be doing the very same schtick as I once famously did on The Atari Report only with just TWO overall units instead of 4, but I learned a few things from all of you guys, whether it be my appearance (even though I am missing a tooth as it broke off while eating) and what to wear on camera considering my futon is black and also another guys suggested that I script my in-game reviews rather then improvise along the way. Everything else will be the same formula you guys were used to with The Atari Report.

• Like 5

Money is always recoupable. Time never is.

I get a kick out of the phrase "no time like the present." There is, in fact, no time but the present.

So, yeah, definitely try to live in the moment and enjoy yourself. Fame has to do what other people think of you; but it's most important to think well of yourself, and enjoy your fleeting lifespan to the greatest extent possible.

(This correlates with the reason I make "low-budget," low-key, more studious films of the type that Keatah was talking about, except mainly concerning the C64. I don't even always remember to send them to my buddy for uploading onto his classic-system channel. The process itself is the fun part. :))

• Like 2