IGNORED

The Atari Report will cease operations March 1st.

BIGHMW

10 minutes ago, Chris+++ said:

Money is always recoupable. Time never is.

I get a kick out of the phrase "no time like the present." There is, in fact, no time but the present.

So, yeah, definitely try to live in the moment and enjoy yourself. Fame has to do what other people think of you; but it's most important to think well of yourself, and enjoy your fleeting lifespan to the greatest extent possible.

(This correlates with the reason I make "low-budget," low-key, more studious films of the type that Keatah was talking about, except mainly concerning the C64. I don't even always remember to send them to my buddy for uploading onto his classic-system channel. The process itself is the fun part. :))

..and with that, can we put a period on this subject? 

I keep wanting to do an Apple II 'cast of some sort. I was bending over and leaning against the wall, digging in a cardboard box that wasn't square anymore, and my plumber's ass showed. Didn't have the elastic strings tied right and it all sagged down. Not sure if that'd be a liability or asset. I mean I could showcase the hoarder's room like a bum, or the exquisite elegant rustic'ized drawing room.

Not worried about content. There's so much for these old 8-bit rigs. Could get 2 hours out of just the framebuffer and convoluted graphics map alone. Some of these boxes were packed 25 years ago, and what's in them could potentially be all-new stuff to me.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

And to those here following along who are just now figuring out that YouTube is retarded...WTH?   I've been saying that since it first appeared.

I mean I like it for what it is,  Sometimes remembering a video Game or hearing music, sure, and I like it when I learn something or when the camera captures something like a bear in a swimming pool or a cat falling out of a tree... or car crashes by stupid people.

But compare your average YouTube guy in a basement or barn complaining about something video to, say a real show like The Mandalorian;   Something that fires the imagination and has plot and characters, and music and Special FX and Sound FX and Cinematography...Something that shows you a world you've never been to... It's like comparing a rusty go kart to a showroom fresh Rolls Royce!   But don't get me wrong both have their place.

No. YouTube was not "retarded" for independent film makers who can use it to distribute their films that "fires the imagination and has plot and characters, and music and Special FX and Sound FX and Cinematography...Something that shows you a world you've never been to", to a wider audience without a big studio backing them. It's just that, they became "retarded" since "ad-pocalypse", so now, YouTube takes a huge chunk of the ad revenue generated. Now, the film makers have a hard time making a living off of it and YouTube has devolved into a "what is the next clickbait trend" video type service.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, atarian1 said:

It's just that, they became "retarded" since "ad-pocalypse", so now, YouTube takes a huge chunk of the ad revenue generated. Now, the film makers have a hard time making a living off of it and YouTube has devolved into a "what is the next clickbait trend" video type service.

Well, ad revenue is a horrible way to pay for creative work.  Why do you think you get Game of Thrones and The Sopranos on HBO while network TV is either The Faux Documentary Sitcom, Boomer Crime Procedural: Unlawful Activity, or assorted ephemera like game shows and "outrageous" reality TV?  The gulf between the two has only narrowed in recent years because networks are trying to build up streaming catalogs so they can sell these shows on the premium model down the line.  If films were paid for by ad revenue, something like 2001: A Space Odyssey, or Eraserhead would likely never have been made.  The smart people doing YouTube full-time use it as a mechanism to promote something they're selling elsewhere.  Everyone else is just a paid blogger.

Being a viewer; I don't really care how the money is made.  What makes the platform so uninteresting now is that it isn't open, so most of the interesting content either gets banned outright, either over copyright bullshit or straight content censorship (can you even swear on a monetized video anymore?), or just gets buried under what The Algorithm has decided is the kind of content I would like, which is almost never what I like. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Keatah said:

...Not worried about content. There's so much for these old 8-bit rigs. Could get 2 hours out of just the framebuffer and convoluted graphics map alone. Some of these boxes were packed 25 years ago, and what's in them could potentially be all-new stuff to me.

See, I would be interested in that, as I know almost nothing about the Apple II line, so it would also be a learning experience; but I'm a regular viewer of stuff like that anyway. Seeing eight-bit items being exhumed from a decades-old box strikes me as extremely interesting, especially if you're discovering the stuff yourself as the viewer is. But that represents a completely different type of video upload from something flashy and high-production whose sole purpose is to accumulate views.

It's like there are two YouTubes. The extreme-niche stuff comprises an entirely separate area: the enthusiast-fueled hobby contributions that set the website apart from just being more ad-driven television. In my opinion, that "passion"-sparked material that's fun for the person to create (as opposed to just being work, toward a monetary end) is the most valid in the context of an online video site, and also the most fun to watch for those who hold the same fixations. There's quite a distinction between that material and the videos that involve more editing and post-production work than actual creation.

Edited by Chris+++
  • Like 3

I agree with the above statements and do I find topics like @Keatah mentions appealing. 

But I feel Youtube has lost its way and created a breed of opportunists who, as has been mentioned, desperately put out content and crap up numerous gaming forums with their veiled ads and stupid "see my vid for my thoughts on the subject"

The individual who will not be named (he resembles Santa Claus living in a house that Fred Sanford would be proud of) is a great example.  Posting topics such as "Hey guys!  Check out my recent discovery in my attic" or "I didn't even know I had 8 copies of this game" and then never contributing beyond that.  Just a ploy to drive traffic to their YT channels and never really being a part of the community.

We can go on and converse about the evils of YT and how gaming was better back in the day before social media, but it's quite futile at this point.  Best thing to do is block and ignore users who are known for these tactics to help curb some of these behaviors.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I don´t have a problem with the Cindy Margolis thing. Everybody needs somebody to look up to, and for him it is her, which is fine. I also don´t mind hearing about it. Perhaps I am too interested in celebrity stuff.

As long as he doesn´t exploit her, I think it is just a quirky thing that makes him him.

GoldLeader:I've hung out with some famous people,  want to hear about it?

22 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

Actually, I would. :)

Well,  since you asked nicely,  maybe I'll PM you the short version...

My main point was more;  If a subject comes up in conversation, or is the topic of said conversation and you wish to talk about it,  go ahead,  by all means,...But if you just keep bringing it up or it could be perceived as a brag, (even unintentionally),  ...Personally,  I'd think better of it.

• Like 1

From what I have read from all of you guys it leads me to believe that I may have arrived too late for the party when I launched The Atari Report 2 years ago, and that there was a "golden era" for retro gaming channels that I had no idea about, and if I had started my channel then maybe it would've been a bigger success for me.

Also, about the algorithm bullshit I also believe that hobbyists and those who live in small towns and rural areas like myself stand no chance as opposed to those in the "big city" or those who have a bigger backing like some major media outlets and Google is at fault here, because they are one of them. This is probably why I am going nowhere with this shit, in fact, my management Len Enders had one of his most popular clips blocked by YouTube due to an 8 second clip of a U2 song that just happened to be in the background of one of his films he did BITD, because Big Media (UMG in this case) complained about it.

Even I have had some of my clips blocked because of this bullshit. Warner Bros. claimed copyright on one of my AK47 songs "Bring Da Funk" over a clip of a B.T. Express song I use as a sample loop for my raps, so yes this bullshit has got to stop or Big Media is going to ruin this shit to the point where independent artists like myself never get discovered, instead we end up getting discouraged.

This is why I have been thinking of just throwing up my hands and shutting down all of my accounts on social media with the deck heavily stacked against hobbyists like me who almost HAVE TO act and sound corporate just to drive up subscriptions and hits on their videos or risk being lost in the algorithms in favor of content from the big outlets.

Well, speaking of AK47 "Bring Da Funk", here it is, blocked from YouTube because of a complaint made by Warner Bros. check THIS out!!! ENJOY!!!

The song I use is a sample loop from "(Do It) 'Til You're Satisfied" from B.T. Express and is the title track from that 1974 LP of that same name. Sounds kinda funky doesn't it!!! :) 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

From what I have read from all of you guys it leads me to believe that I may have arrived too late for the party when I launched The Atari Report 2 years ago, and that there was a "golden era" for retro gaming channels that I had no idea about, and if I had started my channel then maybe it would've been a bigger success for me.

Maybe.. You know.. with many things, once they trickle down to the rural small guy, the ship has sailed. It's like that with stock market IPOs, special offers, video game collecting and grading, getting in on the ground floor of something. And if the opportunity presents itself again, it sometimes means the 1st scammy activities didn't collect enough fools or they're doing it to feed a business model. IDK..

15 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

This is why I have been thinking of just throwing up my hands and shutting down all of my accounts on social media with the deck heavily stacked against hobbyists like me who almost HAVE TO act and sound corporate just to drive up subscriptions and hits on their videos or risk being lost in the algorithms in favor of content from the big outlets.

I don't do social media. It's liberating to not have to track subscriptions and likes and what other people are thinking about you. Why feed the machine? Fuck'em all! Not interested in my content (or lack thereof) following a formula - because then it is NOT MY content anymore.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Well, speaking of AK47 "Bring Da Funk", here it is, blocked from YouTube because of a complaint made by Warner Bros. check THIS out!!! ENJOY!!!

The song I use is a sample loop from "(Do It) 'Til You're Satisfied" from B.T. Express and is the title track from that 1974 LP of that same name. Sounds kinda funky doesn't it!!! :) 

AK47 - Bring Da Funk - 2013 Demo Version.wmv 10.08 MB · 2 downloads

Try using other platforms
vidlii, odysee, rumble, vimeo, dailymotion

4 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

If you launched the Atari Report to make money, yes, you were too late to the party.

I you are doing it because you love Atari games, then keep doing it.  It's as simple as that.

I agree. I have no interest in video production (nor am I especially photogenic), but for the past decade I have maintained a niche website about a topic that interests me. It does not generate any revenue (from advertising or sponsorship), and if I get 100 views in a month I am doing really well. But I enjoy working on it. I have a regular job for income; what I do online is entirely for fun.

As for knowing "celebrities", I went to High School (well, she moved elsewhere after grade 10) with a briefly popular Canadian singer. She released 2.5 albums*, had a legal dispute with her label, and then utterly  from the scene. Nobody cares, either about her or that we were once classmates. 

*The third album was a "greatest hits" collection of tracks from her first two albums and a few new songs. It was apparently required to fulfill her contract.  

Edited by jhd
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, jhd said:

I went to High School (well, she moved elsewhere after grade 10) with a briefly popular Canadian singer. She released 2.5 albums*, had a legal dispute with her label, and then utterly  from the scene. Nobody cares, either about her or that we were once classmates. 

Anne  Murray?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

The individual who will not be named (he resembles Santa Claus living in a house that Fred Sanford would be proud of) is a great example.  Posting topics such as "Hey guys!  Check out my recent discovery in my attic" or "I didn't even know I had 8 copies of this game" and then never contributing beyond that.  Just a ploy to drive traffic to their YT channels and never really being a part of the community.

I don't understand what you mean by "never really being a part of the community?" I consider creating content as contributing to the community. Not everyone has time to type out messages on forums. Am I missing something here?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RJ said:

Anne  Murray?

My grandmother was treasurer of her chapter of the Anne Murray fan club once upon a time.  Yes, there apparently were multiple chapters all around the US and Canada.  Used to show me pictures of all the concerts she'd go to.  Places were packed. So, she must have been more than briefly popular.

• Like 2