IGNORED

Season 20 Round 5 - Tetris

asponge

12 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Getting a Tetris is still one of the most satisfying things in gaming. I also love making my way down to the bottom of the screen after being at the scary music top. It feels like a little accomplishment and a second chance haha. 

Tetris - 83,133

153751C1-2FA6-4645-B526-85BD4C3092E3.thumb.jpeg.6aa84dfa3e993dc89c8df6648840b671.jpeg

Started on level 7. Only made it to 8 this time instead of 10, but I ended up with a higher score. Thank you tetrises :)

I can't touch the guys at the top, but it looks like you and I are pretty close.  I'm hoping to break the 100k mark before the end of the week . . . we'll see.

• Like 2

Oh man, @wongojack, things are heatin’ up here. 100k sounds like a nice goal score, I can’t believe I got so close! I’m not gonna blame the cat...but why did she have to jump off of me on level 11?? 

98,754 (Levels 7 - 11)

482E59A8-0ED8-40EF-8DB6-C56A6940E4B5.thumb.jpeg.93a8b27b46c6ff2ec8289eb2f9e2e213.jpeg

You can see my previous games this session were way under, so I surprised myself with finishing so high for the evening. 

• Like 3

@fakecortex I was able to get both of my 90+k scores starting at level 6.  I tried starting up at level 8 for a while which made level 7 a bit easier, but ultimately, I just don't do very well at that speed.  Or maybe it is just the luck of the draw on when I get a long skinny for a Tetris that matters.

I suppose I could get used to even faster speeds, but I don't really make decisions fast enough.  I can't imagine how much practice I would need to start on level 18 - woof.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wongojack said:

@fakecortex I was able to get both of my 90+k scores starting at level 6.  I tried starting up at level 8 for a while which made level 7 a bit easier, but ultimately, I just don't do very well at that speed.  Or maybe it is just the luck of the draw on when I get a long skinny for a Tetris that matters.

I suppose I could get used to even faster speeds, but I don't really make decisions fast enough.  I can't imagine how much practice I would need to start on level 18 - woof.

As difficult as 18 is, it's actually easy compared to 19. Even just consistently clearing lines on 19 speed is hard for me,  and I can sometimes get over 400k with a level 18 start.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fakecortex said:

This might not be new to you guys, but I came across this video about different play styles for NES Tetris, and I found it pretty interesting:

So out of the three styles that are identified here (DAS, Hypertapping, and Rolling), I was curious which one the high scorers here use. @mbd39 @agb Or if another technique is used...

I'm DAS. I'd be a heck of a lot better if I knew how to tap or roll, lol.

I'm also a one way flipper. I usually only flip with the B button as a matter of habit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

I'm also a one way flipper. I usually only flip with the B button as a matter of habit.

Come to think of it, I may be as well. I’ll say this much tho, I just got to level 12, and I couldn’t rotate and move fast enough. My pieces were landing just next to where I wanted em, like my brain thought my hand was going fast enough and then surprised when the pieces weren’t in the correct space haha. 

• Like 1

Tetris - 156,979 (lvl 7-12)

64763E62-C25B-40CD-8847-1A852D7B236C.thumb.jpeg.84ffa619abbbd2d6fe7924e51933aa84.jpeg

I’m kind of beside myself atm. I was in the zone getting tetris after tetris on level 7, and that must’ve been how I racked up the points before the speed got out of hand. A few tetrises on later levels, but it became about keeping the stack down. I can’t beleive I hit both of my goals at once (break 100k and break 120k) and then some :D 

And you can see my opening game this session right below it. I’ll consider that a warm-up, lol.  

Edited by fakecortex
Last bit
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

Tetris - 156,979 (lvl 7-12)

64763E62-C25B-40CD-8847-1A852D7B236C.thumb.jpeg.84ffa619abbbd2d6fe7924e51933aa84.jpeg

I’m kind of beside myself atm. I was in the zone getting tetris after tetris on level 7, and that must’ve been how I racked up the points before the speed got out of hand. A few tetrises on later levels, but it became about keeping the stack down. I can’t beleive I hit both of my goals at once (break 100k and break 120k) and then some :D 

And you can see my opening game this session right below it. I’ll consider that a warm-up, lol.  

Nice progress! Keep it up and you'll break 200k. You're almost there.

BTW, I want to let you know that levels 10-12 are all the same speed.  And then 13 through 15 are a touch faster and all the same speed. 16-18 even faster and all the same speed as well. 19 is as fast as it gets until the "kill screen" at level 29 which for many years was considered to be unplayable (but can now be played thanks to tapping and rolling).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1