IGNORED

How to convert a Torrent to an Atari ATR or Disk?

Larry

I have a vague understanding of what a torrent is.  It would appear that all the Atari disks at Archive.Org are torrents.  If I download a torrent, what do I end up with?  And how to convert that to an ATR or write to a real disk?

Color me confused...

A torrent is just a container for whatever is posted, if you get a torrent downloader it will have a tab to show you what the content is, what you see there is what you end up getting, if it's atr's you will have a download location with atr's in it, ready to use on an emulator etc.. Just think of the torrent as a box that holds stuff.

Depending on the content it may be compressed to save downloading time and size. by compressed I mean the items may be zipped or rared and not some fancy system that needs more work..

Have fun, ignore the myth about torrents being illegal, they are not but the content may be, Atari files are totally fine..

On windows I use qBittorrent, it's free and no hassle..

Paul..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

I have a vague understanding of what a torrent is.  It would appear that all the Atari disks at Archive.Org are torrents.  If I download a torrent, what do I end up with?  And how to convert that to an ATR or write to a real disk?

Color me confused...

Umm..  No, the disks available at Archive Org can be directly downloaded. You have to go to the link for each item where it says Show All Files for that depository item and any of the files in the list can be downloaded.

You don't convert a torrent. It's just another protocol to downloading files which requires a Torrent Client. I recommend uTorrent 2.0.4. (Aka Micro Torrent - it's got a small file size hence the name) It's an older version without the bloatware but works for me.

But like I said, the Archive Org files are directly downloadable. Post a link and I can likely find it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to both of you. 

"But like I said, the Archive Org files are directly downloadable. Post a link and I can likely find it. "

With that clue, I clicked on "SHOW ALL" and there in the listing was an ATR.  Problem solved!

• Like 2

Pretty inefficient way to deal with individual Roms or disk images - the .torrent file itself could in some cases be bigger than the file you're after.  But I guess it's just how the archive works.

On the subject (sort of), does anyone know if there's still ongoing effort to keep TOSECs going?  I found a few on PB but poorly seeded and probably really old.