IGNORED

Space Invaders Collection is finally here!!!!!

opcode

• 2 weeks later...

This is very interesting. I just played a homebrew version of Space Invaders called "Space Invasion" by John Dondzilla 1998 on a Coleco emulator. It was quite good but from the looks, yours is better, and has the all important name.

Speaking of the name, was there any legal red tape involved in making a new ColecoVision port of Space Invaders?

An upcoming Pac-Man game is really cool too. The existing version for the Coleco by Atarisoft is good, but could be better.

What about Donkey Kong? Do you think you could improve on that? The Coleco port of Donkey Kong is legendary of course but there are problems such as a missing level, Donkey Kong on the wrong side of the screen in the first level (because of one too few girders), one too few girders on the screen with pegs and roaming fireballs along with the missing animation of Kong falling on his head. There is also a glitch that shows up on the real machine and emulators where Mario climbs very slowly up ladders unless you stop partway up the ladder and then start again which will make him climb quickly.

This is very interesting. I just played a homebrew version of Space Invaders called "Space Invasion" by John Dondzilla 1998 on a Coleco emulator. It was quite good but from the looks, yours is better, and has the all important name.

Yep, Dondzilla's versions is pretty good too. But he approached his port much as old day programmers: by visual inspection. If you play SIC you will notice it doesn't just look like the real think but it also play almost exactly like.

Speaking of the name, was there any legal red tape involved in making a new ColecoVision port of Space Invaders?

Yes, Taito contacted me a time. But after seeing the size of this project (just a few dozen units) they haven't bothered me anymore.

An upcoming Pac-Man game is really cool too. The existing version for the Coleco by Atarisoft is good, but could be better.

I agree, and I am sure PMC will play very close to the arcade, maybe even more than Namco Museum...

What about Donkey Kong? Do you think you could improve on that? The Coleco port of Donkey Kong is legendary of course but there are problems such as a missing level, Donkey Kong on the wrong side of the screen in the first level (because of one too few girders), one too few girders on the screen with pegs and roaming fireballs along with the missing animation of Kong falling on his head. There is also a glitch that shows up on the real machine and emulators where Mario climbs very slowly up ladders unless you stop partway up the ladder and then start again which will make him climb quickly.

That's interesting. Pleople keeps asking me for a Donkey Kong Collection all the time. I find it funny as many fans this game was able to gather at the CV. Probably cause most CV owners bought the machine to play DK in first place... Check pics bellow...

Just as a small update, I should have my new CV cases ready next week, so second edition of SIC would start shipping shortly after...

Sky Jaguar is also coming along very well and it now features sound. Dale has just started to work on the package so I am not sure when it will be ready. I hope before this year's end...

Opcode

post-1432-1066936750_thumb.jpg

Is that a screen shot of a work-in-progress ColecoVision Donkey Kong? That looks incredible; a definite improvement over the original CV Donkey Kong. Judging solely from the screen shot, that is easily the equal of the NES port of DK. Just a couple small additional touches would make it stand out over the NES and be very close to the arcade graphically speaking; some slightly darker red highlights on the girders and a white outline (rather than red) around the "Bonus" number. Here is an arcade screen shot to show what I mean:

dk_arcade2.jpg

I don't know if that is possible on the CV or not (color limitations may be a problem?) but it would sure add a touch of authenticity that no other port has.

It is nice to see such quality development going on for the CV, which is one of my all time favorite consoles.

Is that a screen shot of a work-in-progress ColecoVision Donkey Kong? That looks incredible; a definite improvement over the original CV Donkey Kong. Judging solely from the screen shot, that is easily the equal of the NES port of DK. Just a couple small additional touches would make it stand out over the NES and be very close to the arcade graphically speaking; some slightly darker red highlights on the girders and a white outline (rather than red) around the "Bonus" number. Here is an arcade screen shot to show what I mean:

That screenshot was taken from my PC4 demo. If you take a closer look at this picture you will see the highlights are there. It's just the CV palete isn't flexible enough to show it so clearly. The white outline isn't completely possible on the CV due to color mapping limitations.

Opcode

That screenshot was taken from my PC4 demo. If you take a closer look at this picture you will see the highlights are there. It's just the CV palete isn't flexible enough to show it so clearly. The white outline isn't completely possible on the CV due to color mapping limitations.

Opcode

That is really awesome. It is funny that you would be able to do as good (or better) a port of DK on the CV than Nintendo could do on their own NES with their own game. Hopefully if you decide to release it you won't get any flack from Nintendo about it. I know that they can be real uptight about that sort of thing compared to other companies.

If you keep this up I am going to have to go shopping for a CV.