IGNORED

Happy Rev7 upgrade?

Larry

I'm strongly considering upgrading an 810 with a Happy Enhancement.  So here's a question -- does the original Happy Archiver software work with the Rev 7 upgrade?  Or does the 1050 Happy Archiver work with the 810 Rev 7 Enhancement?  I used to have such a setup, and I think that the original Happy Archiver did not work with the HART rom (Happy Atari Rotating Thing).  But I'm not sure -- too long ago.  If someone knows or could test either of these, it would help a bunch. Thanks.

17 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Our resident Mr Disk Drive aka Nezgar will know ;)

Hehehe.... I started replying eaerlier then backed out, then realized I had to think about it more...

Happy "Software" revision 7.0 or 7.1 will work with the 810 rev 7 hardware, as well as the happy 1050 hardware rev 1 & rev 2 ROM.

Things are more complicated with earlier revisions of happy software/hardware...

There are software versions up to 5.3 I think that are only for earlier happy 810 hardware (I know of 4.0, 5.2, 5.3)  .. Around these versions was an autospeed mod that could slow down the RPM to write longer tracks automatically, which was removed in later updates to allow the fast/slow (meaning track buffered/unbuffered) switch.

There was a softwareversion 6.6 that was ONLY for the happy 1050 before rev 7 software was out

Then things were unified with 7.x - you could even use the happy backup to copy protected disks using an 810 to read, and a 1050 to write, or vice versa at that point.

I'm afraid I don't have the answer, and don't have any Happy 810 to test on real hardware. If there is a crack it should be possible to test it under emulation. Testing the original under emulation is not that simple because it has a very special format that is currently not fully supported. I know there is a crack for the Happy 1050 version, but not sure about the Happy 810 version.

Edited by ijor

13 minutes ago, tep392 said:

I have an 810 with the rev7 happy board.  I could try it out for you if you can point me to the software to download.

I also have a rev7 happy 810 and I've been looking for that ATR as well. Maybe it was heavily protected and could not be copied?

If there is a crack, then it would be possible to test it also under emulation. Indeed, the original is heavily copy protected and neither the Happy neither the Archiver can copy this disk. I am not very familiar with the Bitwriter, but I assume it could.

On 3/18/2022 at 5:15 PM, Larry said:

I'm strongly considering upgrading an 810 with a Happy Enhancement.  So here's a question -- does the original Happy Archiver software work with the Rev 7 upgrade?  Or does the 1050 Happy Archiver work with the 810 Rev 7 Enhancement?  I used to have such a setup, and I think that the original Happy Archiver did not work with the HART rom (Happy Atari Rotating Thing).  But I'm not sure -- too long ago.  If someone knows or could test either of these, it would help a bunch. Thanks.

I tried the two "1050 to chip" disks from the archives and both gave me errors trying to write to RAM on my Happy 810 Rev7. I'm not surprised, but thought it would be work trying.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the first question about the original Happy Archiver for the 810... It has been tested on real hardware, and with Rev7, neither the original 810 nor the 1050 Happy Archiver will work.  So at least as goes the conversion to the Archiver/Editor, Rev7 is a bust.