IGNORED

Bought a Switch OLED

Rick Dangerous

I didn't think i would; but my best friend had a birthday so i gave him my original launch day switch with the 128gb SD (and Skyrim) and got a new OLED model with a 512gb micro SD cart for myself.  It's nice, certainly a better screen and more solid feeling body.  The large kick stand is a bit awkward in the back; i feel like the massive hinge area might let more dust into the console; but, overall a really solid piece of hardware.  I like that the joycons can be used cross-consoles and with all accessories, and the texture is really nice, less prone to showing smudges and smears.  The unit just feels solid.

I have to say the experience of migrating my Data over to my new Switch was a nightmare.  My main issues with it were as follows:

-Both consoles had to be hooked up to AC Power, which means one needed to be docked, so i had to login multiple times with a controller. 

-I couldn't transfer my kids miis/user accounts and save data because they aren't "associated with Nintendo Accounts" because they are too young to have/need emails.  SO lame.

-Tranferring a the game download data between Micro SD cards did not work per nintendo's instructions, tried it twice, no luck, formatted the SD (which took forever) using their reccomended tool and it still didn't work the third time; always said "this SD has been used with another switch, we need to delete the data. 

So yeah...a nightmare.  You are better off just re-downloading your games and starting fresh on the screenshots. 

Will probably hang onto this until the Switch Pro/2/etc. comes out and then keep it in the family by passing to the kiddos.

Anyone else get one?  Your thoughts?  

My power cable downstairs is plugged into a power brick behind a large entertainment cabinet and yes it is not practical for me to reach back there and unplug it; it would be a huge pain in the arse. 

My final 2 cents on the OLED:  if you have a Switch; there is no real reason to upgrade unless you play mainly in hand-held mode and screen size/quality is VERY important to you. 

I only bought one so I could gift my original switch to a friend; i think 95%+ of people are better off just waiting for the Switch Pro/2. 

I agree with both sides of it so far.

I have it, but because my original launch one was literally falling apart due to Nvidias poor design on the plastic body having heat cracking issues causing weakness overall in it.  I ultimately found someone who wanted to buy the base unit by itself for $100, the other bits I got to keep, so it took a nice chunk out of the OLED cost and I kept the spare joycons too since they were in excellent shape. :)  I've since used those extras on my kids LITE model for when she wanted to do a 2P game on her system.

The OLED is worth it, primarily handheld for the panel, but also the increased quality of the speakers too, and the non-crappy stand which was just thin and anemic before.  But that said, if you do the TV side of things, the wired connection is super welcome, but so is the improved dock capability which for some reason includes 4K support I guess for future upgrade?

The new dock can do 4K even though the system itself can't? That's interesting. I have been thinking about getting a new monitor, although not 4K, as my requirements involve 90 degree rotation for vertical shooters and built-in speakers, and I don't think both of those are available in a 4K PC monitor yet.

So the more i play my OLED the more i notice the difference; the screen looks fantastic!  It's like night and day with the brightness, clarity, and color-pop.  It's a bit bigger too, and feels like a very solid piece of hardware.  Really really nice screen and job overall on this updated model by Nintendo. 

Edited by Rick Dangerous
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

The new dock can do 4K even though the system itself can't? That's interesting. I have been thinking about getting a new monitor, although not 4K, as my requirements involve 90 degree rotation for vertical shooters and built-in speakers, and I don't think both of those are available in a 4K PC monitor yet.

There was a part replaced in the dock that has 4k capability but its not used. Probably the original part got discontinued.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to buy an OLED Switch only because I found out my original is among the serial numbers that can be modded. I got one of those cheap RCM jigs off Amazon to do the work but haven't started working on it yet. I moved my profile and saves to the new system. All I really am interested in for the CFW is being able to create offline backups of the Pokemon I catch in the games using PKHex, which can then be transplanted into any compatible games desired. I don't plan on generating any Pokemon because that takes the fun out of the collecting aspect of the games.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ordered a TOTK OLED yesterday.  I'm upgrading from a Switch Lite so it's new territory for me both in terms of hooking up to the TV and playing with the OLED screen.  Most of my games are on physical media and I don't share my consoles with anyone so the primary-secondary thing isn't that big of a deal.  I'm not too worried about transferring data at this stage either.  I'll carry on playing the games I've made significant progress with on the Lite and use the OLED as a clean slate for everything else.

1 hour ago, English Invader said:

I ordered a TOTK OLED yesterday.  I'm upgrading from a Switch Lite so it's new territory for me both in terms of hooking up to the TV and playing with the OLED screen.  Most of my games are on physical media and I don't share my consoles with anyone so the primary-secondary thing isn't that big of a deal.  I'm not too worried about transferring data at this stage either.  I'll carry on playing the games I've made significant progress with on the Lite and use the OLED as a clean slate for everything else.

This was partly how we originally approached the Switch Lite and 'big' Switches.  :)  The difference with an OLED is night-and-day; I think you'll be really happy with it.

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 1

The screen is amazing. I bought one, despite having an original, the battery is much shorter in my original. The screen is a bit bigger (half or an inch) making it a 7" screen.

Migrating data isn't really doable, but many of the games I play, I'd restart anyways. It really should be as simple as pop in the old memory card, stuffs on your new switch. But its not, or since it's wireless, just transfer wirelessly. But Nintendo hoped online would be bigger than it was so its set to only work online.

I didn't even bother with a memory card on the new one, games don't sabe on it anyways, so what's the point? Its funny how online was rammed down out throats early on (despite plenty having zero interest) and the oled doesn't require it, so hopefully saving to memory and simply swapping cards will become a future update.

Anyhow, the oled model is great, and despite the bigger screen, is the exact same footprint as the original, so the accessories are compatible.