IGNORED

BackBit cartridge on the Intellivision

evietron

On 2/12/2024 at 7:49 AM, IntellivisionDude said:

And once in a while a new Homebrew may need it's CFG file modified to get the game working but Evie has been able to help with that on the Backbit forum. 

As you mention in your video, there is a thread in this forum with info and links to docs that can help matching BINs to CFGs. With the additional modifications needed for the BackBit, can we start a similar list with links to these modified CFGs? I'd be happy to get that organized if I can get access to those files. My BackBit should be arriving in March and I would also be available for testing and keeping the list updated over time. 

Around these parts, if a game is released as a BIN, then odds are that the CFG will be with it; as the programmer and/or publisher are well aware of the fact that it is needed. 

If you find a game out in the backwoods of the internet, then the CFG may be missing. And no need to promote those sites. 

An issue i see is, some of those homebrews are paid roms i'm not so sure how the publishers would feel about having cfg's of their games just posted freely on the internet. I know it's just a document file and you can't actually play the game without the rom itself. But it's still a grey area. And after the last incident it's probably best not to do so. 

Fair enough. If there is a way to publicly document and catalog how people can update the CFG files they obtain legally so they will work with the BackBit without invoking the concerns stated, I would be happy to participate in that process in order to help the community. If not, I'll do my own research for each game in my own collection and leave it at that.

I’ve literally just posted a topic about what options we have in 2024 to play homebrew on the intellivision and right under my post, this one shows! Incredible!!

I do ask if it would be possible to also support bin + cfg files though please! I’ve tried the route of combining them with zjzintv but it never worked :( so a cart that supports this format natively would definitely win my money! :)

4 minutes ago, New Game Old Flame said:

I’ve literally just posted a topic about what options we have in 2024 to play homebrew on the intellivision and right under my post, this one shows! Incredible!!

I do ask if it would be possible to also support bin + cfg files though please! I’ve tried the route of combining them with zjzintv but it never worked :( so a cart that supports this format natively would definitely win my money! :)

Watch my video on it. I show how to combine them. 

On 2/21/2024 at 1:46 AM, BBWW said:

I need to see if Load Runner works on this with the saving of your own levels.

I sure hope this works. This and a ROM release would be music to my ears. #instabuy

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 10:49 PM, IntellivisionDude said:

Watch my video on it. I show how to combine them. 

I've watched your videos, I like them, however it won't work on my mac os.
I have downloaded jzintv for Mac and installed sdl2, but still it doesn't recognise it... so still nothing working yet.

Any other ideas? Thanks eh!

29 minutes ago, New Game Old Flame said:

I've watched your videos, I like them, however it won't work on my mac os.
I have downloaded jzintv for Mac and installed sdl2, but still it doesn't recognise it... so still nothing working yet.

Any other ideas? Thanks eh!

I wish i could help but i don't have a Mac but maybe someone else might know. But i'd also ask over in the Backbit forums. Maybe Evie will know. 

Evie is not around at the moment but i asked on the Backbit forum and got a response from someone. 

I can answer the general question of how to convert BIN/CFG files to ROM files using [b]bin2rom[/b] on a Mac, but I am still awaiting my BackBit Pro, so I cannot test to ensure the results will work (yet). Please note that this will require a familiarity and comfort downloading and running apps not signed in the AppStore (i.e. jzintv's utilities like bin2rom) and working with the Terminal application (i.e. the Mac command line interface). Anyone following the instructions below is completely responsible for the results (good or bad) of any commands executed when attempting to follow these instructions. It's pretty simple stuff, but you must proceed at your own risk.

-=Download jzintv=-
1. Download the latest version of jzintv (which is currently jzintv-20200712-osx-sdl2).
2. Unzip the archive.
3. Navigate to the folder titled [b]bin[/b] in the [b]jzintv[/b] folder you just created. 
4. Copy the BIN/CFG files you want to convert to the [b]bin[/b] folder. 
[b]TIP[/b]: Try it with one game to start and make sure both the BIN and CFG files are named the same (example: [b]ADND.bin[/b] & [b]ADND.cfg[/b]). 

-=Prepare the utility to be executed=-
5. Locate the Unix executable file named [b]bin2rom[/b].
6. Right click (or hold down the control key and click) on this file.
7. Select [b]Open[/b] from the menu that appears.
8. When the Mac dialog box opens with the message, "macOS cannot verify the developer of “bin2rom”. Are you sure you want to open it?", click the button titled [b]Open[/b]. 
[b]NOTE[/b]: You will only have to do this once for each Executable file you want to run. 

-=Run bin2rom=-
9. Open the Terminal app. It's located in your [b]Applications[/b] folder inside another folder named [b]Utilities[/b]. [b]NOTE[/b]: The last step should have opened Terminal, but this will help you for later sessions.
10. Use the [b]cd[/b] command to point the terminal app to your jzintv's [b]bin[/b] folder. Mine was downloaded to my Downloads folder and I was already in my user folder, so the command to achieve this was:

[code]cd Downloads/jzintv-20200712-osx-sdl2/bin[/code]

11. Enter the following command to change ADND.bin & ADND.cfg into ADND.rom:

[code]./bin2rom ADND.bin[/code]

[b]NOTE[/b]: the "./" at the beginning of this command is critical to success. It tells the Terminal application that you want it to look in the current folder for [b]bin2rom[/b].

Let me know if this worked or didn't work for you. I'll be happy to follow up with clarifications and/or guidance as needed. 

• Like 1

Thanks all, but those instructions don’t work. 
I’m pretty comfortable around unix and terminal in Mac, but the bin2rom seems to require a sdl2 package that I have copied over to my /Library/frameworks, but somehow it’s not picking it up.

the result is the bin2rom does indeed launch but it states it cannot find the sdl2 at the path required (it is there, case sensitive checked). 
bin2rom spits out a 50kb (more or less) file from a bin of 200kb and that does not run unfortunately.

its only to play ONE game (for now) for a podcast episode (maybe a game club or a focus, not sure yet). One of the ones you mentioned uses JLP.

initially i was hoping to get it running in an emulator, but that didn’t work, so i bought an intellivision, but now i also seem to need a LTO or Backbit (though i just found out it doesn’t support JLP so it would be useless)

we are VERY committed at this podcast :)

I also asked the author if he could convert it for me since he gave me the bin and cfg kindly, but received no response 

Edited by New Game Old Flame

1 hour ago, New Game Old Flame said:

the bin2rom seems to require a sdl2 package that I have copied over to my /Library/frameworks, but somehow it’s not picking it up.

the result is the bin2rom does indeed launch but it states it cannot find the sdl2 at the path required (it is there, case sensitive checked). 

Bummer. 

FWIW: I just checked and I do not have a folder named frameworks under /Library. I do have one with a capital F, but it does not contain anything that would seem to be related to sdl2. It's possible I installed something or the other over the years which is keeping me from experiencing the issue you're seeing. If I can be of further assistance, feel free to reach out to me here or directly via IM. 

1 hour ago, New Game Old Flame said:

Thanks all, but those instructions don’t work. 
I’m pretty comfortable around unix and terminal in Mac, but the bin2rom seems to require a sdl2 package that I have copied over to my /Library/frameworks, but somehow it’s not picking it up.

bin2rom spits out a 50kb (more or less) file from a bin of 200kb and that does not run unfortunately.

its only to play ONE game (for now) for a podcast episode (maybe a game club or a focus, not sure yet). One of the ones you mentioned uses JLP.

initially i was hoping to get it running in an emulator, but that didn’t work, so i bought an intellivision, but now i also seem to need a LTO or Backbit (though i just found out it doesn’t support JLP so it would be useless)

we are VERY committed at this podcast :)

I also asked the author if he could convert it for me since he gave me the bin and cfg kindly, but received no response 

The emulator requires SDL but I wouldn't think bin2rom does.

Sounds like bin2rom is running but that particular bin/cfg is not supported. A 200kB bin is likely using bankswitching not supported by the .rom file format. Most likely have to use the Backbit .ecs file format.

13 minutes ago, sfish said:

Bummer. 

FWIW: I just checked and I do not have a folder named frameworks under /Library. I do have one with a capital F, but it does not contain anything that would seem to be related to sdl2. It's possible I installed something or the other over the years which is keeping me from experiencing the issue you're seeing. If I can be of further assistance, feel free to reach out to me here or directly via IM. 

If you have some time to spare and wish to go technical I would appreciate the help, but I don’t want to impose. 
You could join our server and we could chat there, no obligation to stay after.

otherwise don’t worry, at some point I will find a way :)

thanks for offering! 👌

Just now, mr_me said:

The emulator requires SDL but I wouldn't think bin2rom does.

Sounds like bin2rom is running but that particular bin/cfg is not supported. A 200kB bin is likely using bankswitching not supported by the .rom file format. Most likely have to use the Backbit .ecs file format.

Uh ok, thanks for the information, maybe that’s why then, however the error that references sdl2 does happen when launching bin2rom .. 🤔

2 hours ago, New Game Old Flame said:

It’s The Sorrow of Gadhlan’ Thur. 
if it works on the backbit then I have an avenue to explore!

That game does work on the Backbit but i don't own it. But someone else got it to work. You have to set use Bin2ecs and set the -j flag. But i only know how to do that on Windows. 
https://forum.backbit.io/index.php?topic=917.msg6818#msg6818

There was a Backbit update where some games you no longer have to set the -j flag but you still have to use Bin2ecs like you would Bin2rom. But i don't know if this game is one of those. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2024 at 3:07 PM, MattelAquarius said:

I somehow missed the existence of this interesting device.  I'm going to have to exercise some self-control when it comes to picking adapters....Wow!

Except this is the one adapter to rule them all!   :)

backbitpro-collection-202401.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/6/2024 at 2:36 PM, RockLobster said:

Except this is the one adapter to rule them all!   :)

backbitpro-collection-202401.jpg

That must be the newer CV adapter I'm guessing? Mine is taller and had to add some kapton tape to the soldered connector pins due to them shorting against the metal flap door for the cartridge port on mine. I brought it up with Evie and she stated she would look at redesigning it. I had suggested a 3D printed shroud to cover that adapter, but it looks like she chose to just make it shorter which, works too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2024 at 4:38 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Mine is taller and had to add some kapton tape to the soldered connector pins due to them shorting against the metal flap door

oh interesting, I hadn't thought of that!   I guess you're right, the two most direct way to prevent contact is to move a thing touching or add something inbetween.   Seems the former was easier.

For anyone who happens to see this, also know that I offer a few custom Intellivision sleeve options to make inserting the cartridge more enjoyable.  For those of you who have a backbit for the INTV, you know what I'm talking about.  

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1702295046/backbit-pro-adapter-guide-sleeves

We will be talking about it tonight on Casey's show

Edited by 8bitwidgets.com
  • Like 1