IGNORED

BackBit cartridge on the Intellivision

evietron

10 minutes ago, Atari8man2004 said:

The only bin file I could find was at the internet archive and I used the cfg file I downloded here at atariage it converted to rom and it loaded in to the backbit fine but after game selection the screen turns black and stays black.   I search hi and low with google but all roms are in the int format yuk!   cfg map below

Super Pro Football .cfg 57 B · 2 downloads

Intellivision rom files with .int, .itv, and .bin extensions are all the same bin format.  That is the correct configuration for Super Pro Football, make sure the filenames match, watch for extra spaces.

Edited by mr_me

18 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Intellivision rom files with .int, .itv, and .bin extensions are all the same bin format.  That is the correct configuration for Super Pro Football, make sure the filenames match, watch for extra spaces.

I'v tried everything I know about the spaces in the file names I must have converted 30 or 40 roms  this is very strange indeed.

4 hours ago, Atari8man2004 said:

I'v tried everything I know about the spaces in the file names I must have converted 30 or 40 roms  this is very strange indeed.

Test the .rom file in the Jzintv emulator.  If it works there then the conversion is good, submit the converted .rom to Backbit support.

3 hours ago, IntellivisionDude said:

Still not working I'm starting to think it maybe the firmware I'm running V 3.4.7 of the firmware.  IntellivisionDude what version are you running?   Thanks Bro!  also can the firmware be downgraded?

Edited by Atari8man2004

18 minutes ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Still not working I'm starting to think it maybe the firmware I'm running V 3.4.7 of the firmware.  IntellivisionDude what version are you running?   Thanks Bro!  also can the firmware be downgraded?

I'm on the same firmware. Super Pro Football loads for me. 

And yes you can downgrade. I have downgraded before. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Atari8man2004 said:

It loads but after you select the players and you start the game it displays just a black screen.  My system is intellivision II 

There is a known bug with the Super Pro Football cartridge and Intellivision II but the game is still playable.  Some rom variants have been found so it's possible the bug is worse with a variant and the Backbit is fine.  Can you post the checksum of your SP Football .int/bin file.

5 hours ago, Atari8man2004 said:

It loads but after you select the players and you start the game it displays just a black screen.  My system is intellivision II 

I'm using a Sears Intellivision. I gave it a better test and it's playing just fine for me. I can have Evie try it. She uses a Intellivision II. I'll make a post in the backbit forums https://forum.backbit.io/index.php

• Like 1

The problem is likely the rom file and not the Backbit.

I found two variations of Super Pro Football rom files:

crc32  83141d85  (possible image of cartridge rom)

crc32  32076e9d  (distributed with Intellivision Lives CD)

I tested in emulation, and the rom file 32076e9d crashes jzintv using an Intellivision II exec.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IntellivisionDude said:

The Super Pro Football loads and crashes to a black screen after player selection the other rom with the 1986c intv corp crashes to a green screen instantly.   Thanks for informing the Backbit group.  

3 minutes ago, Atari8man2004 said:

The Super Pro Football loads and crashes to a black screen after player selection the other rom with the 1986c intv corp crashes to a green screen instantly.   Thanks for informing the Backbit group.  

No problem. Just out of curiosity have you tried with and without the ECS attached? It may not make a difference. 

24 minutes ago, IntellivisionDude said:

No problem. Just out of curiosity have you tried with and without the ECS attached? It may not make a difference. 

I did try it without the ECS and intellivoice attached and same results.  I converted all my games to the backbit I only had 2 issues one was the World series baseball and Super pro football . Larryvgs help with the world series "Thanks Larry"  and thank you Intv Dude!  I can now start using the backbit for the C64  :)

On 11/19/2023 at 1:37 AM, IntellivisionDude said:
On 11/19/2023 at 2:21 AM, larryvgs said:

I'm pretty sure you need the ECS attached in order for that to work on a Backbit.  I just tried that file (World Series Major League Baseball.rom), I don't have an ECS, and it doesn't work on my BackBit.  Converting it to .ecs doesn't help either.

In fact, I was unable to get any available roms or ints of that game to play in an emulator.  It would work at first in jzIntvImGui_2.3.7, but then always freeze after one inning with an awful staticky noise.

On the other hand, David Harley has an ECS controller bundle of 5 ECS games for a total of $5 (well worth the purchase at Intellivision.us) which includes that game (which he calls Super Series Baseball) and which bypasses the need for the keyboard and uses only controller controls.  After adding the parameters --ecs=1 and --voice=1 in jzIntvImGui_2.3.7 I was able to play a full game with David Harley's version on both my PC and my Firestick (Android).

There are at least three rom variations of World Series Baseball.  The one distributed on Intellivision Lives CD is a smaller 20k version, missing Intellivoice data and meant to be used with the Intellivision Lives emulator.  An original cartridge dump version should be the full 24k, the .cfg should include the extra memory locations.  And the one attached above, where the rom has been modified so the page banking is intellicart .rom compatible.

The memory configuration for the original 24k World Series should look like this.

[mapping]
$0000 - $1FFF = $5000
$2000 - $2FFF = $D000

[ecsbank]
0: $3000 - $3FFF = $E000
0: $4000 - $4FFF = $F000
1: $5000 - $5FFF = $F000

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 12:32 PM, Atari8man2004 said:

My Intellivision games now sits on the backbit and I can now put the carts away for good keeping thanks to all of you for the help.

I have Coleco's Lady Bug and I know that works on my INTV2 but did your Donkey Kong and Venture work on it somehow?   I've come across different lists of which Coleco games worked on the INTV2 and which ones were blocked.

To my surprise, Donkey Kong and other Coleco games worked on the Backbit Pro.  :D

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 3.18.16 PM.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A year and a half later, and I finally got around to using my BackBit Pro.  Can someone tell me where I can get the "bin2ecs" utility to convert BIN+CFG roms to the BackBit format so that they support bank-switching, etc.?  Is there a Mac OS X version?

-dZ,.

10 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

A year and a half later, and I finally got around to using my BackBit Pro.  Can someone tell me where I can get the "bin2ecs" utility to convert BIN+CFG roms to the BackBit format so that they support bank-switching, etc.?  Is there a Mac OS X version?

-dZ,.

https://github.com/evietron/BackBit-Convert

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nick3092 said:

Thanks.  Is there a binary for Mac?  I tried running the python script and I get an error:

dropzone:bin2ecs dz$ ./bin2ecs.py 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./bin2ecs.py", line 48, in <module>
    from pathlib import Path
ImportError: No module named pathlib

-dZ.

4 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Thanks.  Is there a binary for Mac?  I tried running the python script and I get an error:

dropzone:bin2ecs dz$ ./bin2ecs.py 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./bin2ecs.py", line 48, in <module>
    from pathlib import Path
ImportError: No module named pathlib

-dZ.

I don't think she's compiled any kind of Mac binary, just windows and python.

Looks like you are missing pathlib. Not sure what version of python you have there, but a quick google shows newer versions include it, while you can tell python to insatall it on older versions (I'm not a Mac user, and have very minimal experience with python, so ymmv with what I found):

In Python 3.4, pathlib is now part of the standard library. For Python 3.3 and earlier, easy_install pathlib or pip install pathlib should do the trick.