IGNORED

Atari/Legends Flashback Expansion Builds

20 hours ago, pimpmaul69 said:

So if there is any editing/configuring that needs to be done please let me know. 

The process is very similar to the Atari Flashback process.  You find the correct custom FW for the LFB (2018 50 game unis is "LFB1", 2019 100 game units is "LFB2") and install it, then create an SD card with the appropriate contents.   You will want LFB1_CFW_1.2Ghz.img

This is off topic, but I was recently given a set of 5200 .uce files for the Legends Arcade family (Legends Ultimate, Legends Core, Legends Gamer, etc.).  I believe this is a much better/more complete collection than has been made available before and includes many ports of 8-bit games to the 5200.  So, I have made them available on archive.  Of possible interest if you own one of those newer atGames products. 

@TheRingBearer - maybe of interest to you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rocketfan said:

The process is very similar to the Atari Flashback process.  You find the correct custom FW for the LFB (2018 50 game unis is "LFB1", 2019 100 game units is "LFB2") and install it, then create an SD card with the appropriate contents.   You will want LFB1_CFW_1.2Ghz.img

I was referred to configuring controls in games and stuff like that for the legends fb. If any of that kind of stuff needs getting done still. 

6 hours ago, pimpmaul69 said:

I was referred to configuring controls in games and stuff like that for the legends fb. If any of that kind of stuff needs getting done still. 

OK, gotcha - yes probably there is some fine tuning needed.  The thing is there are 6 buttons, so for a lot of games something is going to work, but there's also a ton of content and practically impossible to get through it all to see if everything is working.

I recently took my LUFB for a long weekend away.  I only played it for an hour or so, but it's an awesome console to throw in a bag and take along on a trip!

I just noticed the originator of the Atari Nexus (He who shall not be named?  🙂 ) said there is a 2.0 still coming!  We will see, that would be a nice surprise if it shows up someplace!

For the folks who haven't seen the other threads, the Flashback 11 - aka 50th Anniversary Edition Flashback is real.  For example, it's on sale in the United Arab Emirates now.

image.thumb.png.7a605ac7393409c2cae93bb4bf5b1528.png

image.thumb.png.f346e7223cf0af8711fef0f7db78f104.png

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, rocketfan said:

I just noticed the originator of the Atari Nexus (He who shall not be named?  🙂 ) said there is a 2.0 still coming!  We will see, that would be a nice surprise if it shows up someplace! 

A 2.0 would be awesome. Im skipping buying the sega genesis 2 mini at the moment cause i really want the atari fb 50th gold. Any day my 500k potentiometers should show up so i can fix the paddle controls on afb 9, x & 50th with correct resistance.

On 10/30/2022 at 8:22 PM, rocketfan said:

For everyone wanting to fix theiI found the atari paddle resistor value for atari flashback 9, X and really all of them starting with number 3. You need to change the resistor for each paddle to a 100k - 150k ohm resistor. I used potentiometers on my afb 9 because i had to use them to find the correct resistance  23EB2DCF-CA24-4C69-BCC0-37D1DF49DEE4.thumb.jpeg.0b5c50ebe3511802ef2ed9c2fabf81e6.jpeg

On 10/30/2022 at 10:26 AM, rocketfan said:

This is off topic, but I was recently given a set of 5200 .uce files for the Legends Arcade family (Legends Ultimate, Legends Core, Legends Gamer, etc.).  I believe this is a much better/more complete collection than has been made available before and includes many ports of 8-bit games to the 5200.  So, I have made them available on archive.  Of possible interest if you own one of those newer atGames products. 

@TheRingBearer - maybe of interest to you.

Maybe I'm just stupid. What does uce stand for and can they be played on anything?

magnus

Edited by magnusfalkirk

On 10/30/2022 at 9:26 AM, rocketfan said:

So i got my legends flashback with 50 games. Updated it. Now with nexus outside of a game the menu button only works as select. Any way to use “menu” outside of a game? Also i noticed its running as atari flashback on nexus. Any way to run it as a legends fb?

Edited by pimpmaul69

On 8/25/2022 at 4:39 PM, magnusfalkirk said:

I was able to successfully update the Legends Flashback 2018 using these two downloads from this link:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-firmware-for-atgames-legends-flashback-with-support-for-arcade-games.527550/

that rrifonas posted in another thread here on AtariAge. I used the arcade_update.img from the arcade_update_v2.8.4_20191204 and the retroplayer.ini, which isn't there even though it is mnetioned in the read me, from this arcade_update_v2.6_fba_mame_v2.

After I did that I loaded the LUFB_May21_2022 files from Archive.org onto a 32GB SD card and installed it into the LFB. Everything runs fine.

I have a different copy of the Nexus build on my Atari 9 Flashback, they are in a 16GB card that I got with the FB9 that I bought through Facebook about a month ago.

magnus

This is from a post I did back in Aug. I also have the Legends Flashback with the 50 games. I was able to successfully update it and it now has over 7,000 games on. Read through the whole post and get the files I mentioned. If you have any problems just post here.

magnus

51 minutes ago, magnusfalkirk said:

This is from a post I did back in Aug. I also have the Legends Flashback with the 50 games. I was able to successfully update it and it now has over 7,000 games on. Read through the whole post and get the files I mentioned. If you have any problems just post here.

magnus

Downloading now. Thank you. I think this is what i need. 

6 hours ago, magnusfalkirk said:

would you be willing to share those intellivison homebrews? Or tell me where I can find them? Is there any kind of boxart available for them?

There is boxart. Probably not 3d for most. I will have to go through all my roms to get them all for you. 

On 10/30/2022 at 9:26 AM, rocketfan said:

So i really need an explanation of arcade games

file extensions zip zim zia zi3 rom and fbn. 

and i need to understand what naming the platform to RETRO MAME MAME2003 MAME2010 FBA ARC AND MOO does. 

so here is a situation i ran into. I found changing the file extension change what emulator loads. However changing the platform would affect the compatibility. 

also what emulator does zip files play when roms are in the game folder?

so i will explain a situation i ran into. Sf2 championship edition. sf2ce.zip (mame 2003 parent rom) boots with zip only with platform mame or mame 2003 but the emulator is laggy. None others work. None of the daughter roms works. Nothing works when i change the file extensions to zim zia zi3 rom or fbn. 

now when i put the roms in zip in the games folder the parent rom (sf2ce.zip) doesn’t work but the 3 us daughter roms do and perfectly smooth with no issues. (ie: sf2ceua.zip)

so i really need to know what emulator zips run in game folder and how i can do the same in the arcade folder and with the all-games.ini

an explanation of the other above mentioned stuff would be helpful and speed up the process and making a much larger arcade section. 

Edited by pimpmaul69

7 hours ago, pimpmaul69 said:

file extensions zip zim zia zi3 rom and fbn. 

and i need to understand what naming the platform to RETRO MAME MAME2003 MAME2010 FBA ARC AND MOO does. 

so here is a situation i ran into. I found changing the file extension change what emulator loads. However changing the platform would affect the compatibility. 

also what emulator does zip files play when roms are in the game folder?

so i will explain a situation i ran into. Sf2 championship edition. sf2ce.zip (mame 2003 parent rom) boots with zip only with platform mame or mame 2003 but the emulator is laggy. None others work. None of the daughter roms works. Nothing works when i change the file extensions to zim zia zi3 rom or fbn. 

now when i put the roms in zip in the games folder the parent rom (sf2ce.zip) doesn’t work but the 3 us daughter roms do and perfectly smooth with no issues. (ie: sf2ceua.zip)

so i really need to know what emulator zips run in game folder and how i can do the same in the arcade folder and with the all-games.ini

an explanation of the other above mentioned stuff would be helpful and speed up the process and making a much larger arcade section. 

Well one thing i learned is in the arcade folder a daughter rom cant find a parent rom for whatever reason so you have to dump all the files out of the parent rom into the working daughter rom. But i had to change it from .zip to .zia to get it to load the same emulator the zip booted in the game folder. 

Edited by pimpmaul69

For anyone interested i have added these arcade games to my lufb:

Cosmic avenger
Marvel super heroes
Marvel vs capcom
Marvel super heroes vs street fighter
Street fighter 2
Street fighter alpha
Street fighter alpha 2
Street fighter alpha 3
Street fighter 2 champion edition 
Street fighter 2 hyper fighting
Street fighter iii
Street fighter iii 2nd impact
Street fighter iii 3rd strike
Super street fighter 2 turbo
Teenage mutant ninja turtles (2 player version)
Teenage mutant ninja turtles: turtles in time
X-men (2 player version)
X-men: children of the atom
X-men vs street fighter

On 11/6/2022 at 3:28 PM, pimpmaul69 said:

file extensions zip zim zia zi3 rom and fbn

You can always look in the file /emulator/runcommand.lfb on the Legends Ultimate Flashback, or /emulator/runcommand on the Atari units.  This is a Linux shell script that defines the mapping between extension and the core that gets used.  The mapping may not be the same between the LFB and Atari systems!

For the LUFB you have:

.zip = lr-fbalpha.so  (FBA)

.zim = lr-mame2000.so

.zia = lr-fbalpha.so (FBA)  - So it's dul[picating .zip - Maybe this one was done to be compatible with roms from the Atari unit?  Not sure...

.zi3 = km_mame2003_xtreme_libretro.so

.zin = fbneo_libretro.so

.fbn = fbalpha2012_neogeo_libretro.so

When we were settings things up originally, a lot of work went into figuring out which games ran best on a given emulator.  You can't just rename a rom (generally) because different rom sets need to be used for any particular core.  A lot of games that stutter or lag on a different emulator will run better as .zim or .zi3, but there might be other reasons to use one of the others - like the games are not all in every romset.  Also, it seems like by default the FBN core did better at getting the aspect ratio of games right.

lr-mame2000 needs MAME 0.37b5

km_mame2003_xtreme can work with a lot of 0.78 roms IIRC, but see here for more info - find a mame-2003-plus reference set:

https://docs.libretro.com/library/mame2003_plus/

I always look for romsets which are "non-merged" for these.  These sets are really big, but each file has everything in it and is not going to depend on parent roms being there.

I believe that .zip, .zin and .fbn use FBN_v0.2.97.44 roms.

Pretty sure .rom and .moo were the built-in games, hence use the original cores shipped with them.  I think rom and moo on the LFB are targeted to some specific games. Like you will see "mappy_libretro.so" in the /emulator folder which is a "one game core" to deal with mappy.rom only.

Edited by rocketfan

@pimpmaul69 BTW, I got all the parts I think I need to mod an FB1 7800 style controller for the FBX two-button 7800 games.  I mentioned this to some EE folks I know and they think you can get single-layer PCBs done so cheap now that it could be possible to do a modified PCB for the controllers in the $20 range.  So like adding through holes for soldering the diodes and making the traces match what is needed for the modded version.  I have never done one, but with help from these folks I think it could be possible.   Could you pass along any other info. you have?  It's probably a winter project for me, so no hurry.  If I need to just study the pictures you posted before I can do that also.