IGNORED

HSC19 R9: FINAL LEGACY

Not HSC played since Season 3 no less, it's back...

FINAL LEGACY

I picked this over Zone Ranger that we've played several times, it will be in another poll soon!

Final Legacy

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=1893

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-final-legacy_1969.html

[edi] [As well as level 1 how about we play level 2 and level 3 also and if anyone wants to post scores for levels 4-6 they will all get entered into the HSC records and pick up some bonus points

Final Legacy is JOYSTICK controlled, though you can use SPACE to return to the menu screen instead of pressing fire. Use LUDR to access the four screens. [Option] is pause and resume.

I seem to remember there may be two versions of the game so let me know what you find. Possibly disk version had more features, might be making this up but as usual it's late here in HSC HQ and I've not had time to check the game! [edit] Looks like it was a preliinary version called "(The) Legacy" so make sure your one has this title screen:

final_legacy.gif.a36997fdf97dba592d235f772635b024.gif

comments from atarimania...

JT 22/04/22

The programmers either didn't play or test their own game (at least not anywhere close to thoroughly), or they were mentally damaged. Basically the game is impossible to complete on any level above 3. And even on 3, I would estimate the odds of victory even with perfect playing at around 50%. I would further guess that those who hype and give this game a high score are doing so "blindly" based on first or early impressions, and likely have never even played a campaign all the way through (at least not on any difficulty other than the easiest). It's actually a shame because the game premise and broad design is sound enough to be a great game, but the play tuning and balance is completely out the window (particularly with the endless waves of missiles toward your cities halfway through a campaign). This game and its sales coasted on initial/shallow impressions.

Pete Davison - 18/02/2019
One of my favourite Atari games from the era, bringing something of a "Star Raiders" feel to naval combat. Prioritise your targets, think strategically... then blast the heck out of all and sundry with your devastating death lasers!

Horrific music, though. Thankfully you only hear it when you win; the sound effects elsewhere in the game are great, however.

Scott Stilphen - 17/03/2017
I interviewed Steve Englehart back in 2009 and he doesn't remember much about the game, either the Atari 8-bit or ST versions.
http://www.ataricompendium.com/archives/interviews/steve_englehart/interview_steve_englehart.html

According to programmer Dan Oliver, the "E" for the E-Beam weapon stood for "Electric" (it's not mentioned in the manual). Also not mentioned in the manual is why your battleship fires torpedos. According to Dan, he wanted it to be a ship but designer Chris Horseman wanted it to be a submarine. From Dan, "The ship view was the second view I did (the map was first). Chris was talking about and or wanting subs, so my graphic looks like what I thought the bow of a sub would look like on the surface, maybe to make Chris Horseman happy."

Round ends Tuesday 28th June 9pm UK time

HAVE FUN ;-)

I assume we are to play on default difficulty level.  Put me on the board:  168,225

I only messed around with one ship to ship combat.  Not sure it's worth it!

It's been a long time for me (way before HSC 3) but I remember enjoying this as a teenager.  TIL that the name of the ship was "The Legacy" (which is where that original name came from obviously).  These are things you don't learn when you play nothing but pirated games I guess :)

Wasn't sure how I'd like having to use the keyboard as I'm used to sitting a little bit further away from the machine on the couch, but sitting on the floor and elevating the 1200XL a little was not an issue at all.

Final Legacy.jpg

• Like 3

Hm, now I see what you mean. Does the game go from one screen to the other at some point? Chevymad so far posted two screenshots, one of each kind.

Anyway, I scored 46350 pts on my first attempt. Not sure this game is for me, but I might try it again whenever I have some spare time.

final-legacy-46350.thumb.jpg.9768c58c1e09472b6ade9a2ee272b9ea.jpg

Ok, can you show me the ingame screen where you choose between navigating, torpedos, etc. ? In my Gamebase there are two games called Final Legacy where one of them is retail and one is a prototype and also another prototype called just Legacy.

1 hour ago, Dope said:

Ok, can you show me the ingame screen where you choose between navigating, torpedos, etc. ? In my Gamebase there are two games called Final Legacy where one of them is retail and one is a prototype and also another prototype called just Legacy.

Here is the in-game screen where you choose between each function (see below).

As noted above you get the map screen if you lose and the dark screen if you finish the game.

20220612_161455.jpg

Edited by AtariSphinx
Typo

Final Legacy: 177,550

Recently picked up the cartridge as I had really enjoyed Dan Oliver's Atari 2600 games (Rescue Terra 1 & Laser Gates).   First time trying this out and I really like it (once you figure out how to work it and manage the battles across 4 screens).

Feels like a cross between Star Raiders, Beamrider, Battlezone, and Missile Command.  Great music, like that they integrated the trackball into the sea to air battle (though have not tried it yet), and they support left handed players which never seen that before!

Would like to try the higher difficulties eventually to see if the reviews are correct about it  being very difficult/impossible above level 3

20220612_211033.jpg

Edited by AtariSphinx
Typo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, carlsson said:

Hm, now I see what you mean. Does the game go from one screen to the other at some point? Chevymad so far posted two screenshots, one of each kind.

First start moving in the map screen (the ship steering wheel) by pushing left and push the button.  Move as close as possible to one of the enemy missile sites (the black dots) while avoiding enemy ships, it should auto bring up the map screen menu.  Push up and press button to fight sea to land.   Once you take out all the enemies there it will auto switch back to the map screen menu.  Select the ship wheel again (left and button) and move to next enemy missile site.   If while fighting sea to land and you see the time counter nearing 0, press space bar to get back to map screen menu then push down and button to select sea to air.  Kill those enemies and it should take you back to the map screen menu.   The space bar always takes you back to map screen menu at any time.

That is the general idea to get started.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2022 at 11:03 PM, therealbountybob said:

Not HSC played since Season 3 no less, it's back...

FINAL LEGACY

... Looks like it was a preliinary version called "(The) Legacy" so make sure your one has this title screen:

final_legacy.gif.a36997fdf97dba592d235f772635b024.gif

Round ends Tuesday 28th June 9pm UK time

HAVE FUN ;-)

After a what the heck is going on go I'm not sure if I completed level 1 as it said press option and then continued but I was destroyed. Now I will read up on everything above :thumbsup:

Freaked me out a bit when I saw KENDALL (me!) on the status bar, guessing that's not one of my hacks!!  No screenshots from me as I'm on reduced hardware factilites until I get some stuff fixed!

Final Legacy is JOYSTICK controlled, though you can use SPACE to return to the menu screen instead of pressing fire. Use LUDR to access the four screens. [Option] is pause and resume.

How about we play level 2 and level 3 also and if anyone wants to post scores for levels 4-6 they will all get entered into the HSC records and pick up some bonus points

27 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

How about we play level 2 and level 3 also and if anyone wants to post scores for levels 4-6 they will all get entered into the HSC records and pick up some bonus points

Had a go on Level 6, destroyed the 2 bases, but eventually got overwhelmed at sea. Missile shooting is much more fun at speed, have to press [Space] to return to menu to deal with them.

59,100 (13 square things on menu bar - still not read up!!) [see post below]

On 6/12/2022 at 7:57 PM, MichaG said:

I'm a little bit confused which version to play. I've played the original cartridge without realy knowing what to do and finaly reached 168,250 points, the final screen looks like this:

20220612_204954_HDR.thumb.jpg.9a62f92bc276c27ee524b6ec21a871cb.jpg

wondering if there are more versions of "FINAL LEGACY" like my original thoughts as my file version of "FINAL LEGACY" doesn't have the text "Sites Remaining" etc. Will try Fandal's version.

THE FINAL LEGACY

corrected first tables !!

1st   AtariSphinx                177,550  12pts
  2nd   8BIT 1337                 176,200  11pts
  3rd   MichaG                      168,250  10pts
  4th   chevymad                  167,725  9pts
  5th   therealbountybob        153,825  8pts
  6th   Deteacher                  116,600  7pts

#NTSC Bonus point will add at end of round!

Bonus - play on skill levels 2-6

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5

Level 6
  1st   therealbountybob            59,100