IGNORED

Atari Mania - (in VCS Store)

SabertoothRetro

2 hours ago, killersquirel said:

I would love to buy this game, but I am only getting a white screen when I try to purchase it on the VCS.

There is some kind of error between the store and the third party payment service that Atari uses.  They are hoping to have it fixed ASAP.  This is affecting all the games in the store, not just Atari Mania.  I am patiently waiting to get this on the VCS as well.

• Like 3

This is a good game that flirts with something greater but doesn't quite hit it. I love the setup of the game and concept, but there's something off about the controls. Maybe it's the classic controller but a few of the microgames (Sentinel Mashup, balloon Circus Atari with blocks) were near impossible to me, even upon repeated play. And I feel like they left money on the table by not making the caretaker avatar more customizable around Atari's history. 

Pros:

- Animation style is fun, and while it's not perfect my kids instantly compared it to Minecraft and were drawn in. The 8 bit feel, while it isn't the strength IMO on this game, resonates. 

- The game play is mostly great and paces well. Collecting relics and tools to find old games is fun and fits this brand.

- The idea of "blended" microgames is awesome, and mostly results in fan service games that are fun throwaway moments that bring back memories of the originals. Especially for Atari, this is a natural fit.

- The soundtrack fits great and is a solid addition, easy to both remember and ignore (which is my requirement).

Cons:

- The controls are spotty and in some cases even a liability on the mini games. That robs game play substantially.

- 11 mini games to play one "boss"? Sweet lord. I would have preferred 4-6 longer timed challenges of higher quality vice variety. An argument could be made that the content is too diluted. 

- As mentioned above, there a ton of great callbacks to Atari lore but I feel like they failed to "stick the landing" a bit. Bentley a villain? When you have a pantheon of other characters out there? This brought it to Wario country to me, when I felt they could have stood out. 

- One save slot? Is this 1988? Could they not offer a profile or anything? Just dumb.

All in all I am really enjoying this game and will continue playing, but I do feel like they could have brought more polish and ambition to a great idea like this, given their catalogue and the anniversary. If nothing else, it fits perfectly on the VCS and with the younger gen of gamers, introduces them to a whole new world of old games and characters. This could IMO be something to build on, pushing to Arcade ports, 5200, 7800 8-bit etc for a sequel, but only if it addresses the issues above. 

• Like 4

Finally I was able to download it on the vcs store. I had a hard time beating the first boss but once the mechanics of the game understood it gets better. I enjoy playing with the history of atari especially since I did not know the period before the lynx and the jaguar. A very good game.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Got - almost - everything done! I am not sure what I am missing...

MPG Game Recording 2022-10-22_22-24-48.jpg

Impressive! I am having a heck of a time with some of the mini games and am stuck at a little over 30%. I can see some of the complaints about the controls. The controls on the airplane and spaceship levels seem strange to me. But on the whole I am enjoying the game. It does seem a little overpriced to me compared to other offerings.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

I got up to 99.8%.  There are two arcade machines that I passed earlier in the game that are now flashing between insert coin and the yellow win screen.  Do I need to pass those arcade cabinets again to get 100%?

I am in a similar state at 99.2% and think you are correct, I think you need to succeed at all of the mini games to get 100%.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 9:21 AM, Mockduck said:

I am in a similar state at 99.2% and think you are correct, I think you need to succeed at all of the mini games to get 100%.

I replayed every minigame in every machine making sure to pass them all and still at 99.8% and scratching my head

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

I replayed every minigame in every machine making sure to pass them all and still at 99.8% and scratching my head

Other than completing the game my belief is you have to get all the collectibles, all the mouse cheese battles, all of the puzzles, succeed in every mini game at least once, and unlock the secret thing indicated by the Atari logos on the floors. If there's anything else I am not aware of it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Other than completing the game my belief is you have to get all the collectibles, all the mouse cheese battles, all of the puzzles, succeed in every mini game at least once, and unlock the secret thing indicated by the Atari logos on the floors. If there's anything else I am not aware of it.

I did all that and still 99.8%   Maybe I didn't pass a minigame in a mouse battle?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 10:36 PM, killersquirel said:

Push and hold the controller in the direction you want to move in.  The controls threw me off at first too, but it's not like how the games were controlled back in the day.

On 11/10/2022 at 9:44 PM, tripled79 said:

Finally bought this game today. The ship controls are awful. I can't get the hang of it...

Yeah, the ship controls are so annoying.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/17/2022 at 11:01 PM, bradhig1 said:

Finally beat the last boss.    There is a secret floor in the game.  You have to press the elevator buttons in a certain order shown by symbols on each floor under the atari logo. Secret floor is kinda boring.

I can't find the symbol on the 1st floor... any hints?

Edited by SoyBoy