IGNORED

Simple improvements for XE video?

Larry

In my experience, most stock XE video displays are quite good.  90%+ of the XE's I've seen have clear, bright displays, but do suffer from mild to moderate jailbars.  Adding a UAV is surely the best answer for S-Video on an XE, but that involves desoldering, and I'm at the point where my hands are just not steady enough to do much soldering/desoldering. Years ago, I did the Super Video XE, and my results were worse than stock, so that one is out.  Besides, it requires a lot of resistor replacements.  So, are there any easy fixes like there are for the 800XL? 

53 minutes ago, Larry said:

Had a look through that thread, was surprised at the poor quality of some of those screens, I've never noticed

such poor quality, only difference is between 800 and XL/XE where the 800 seems to be over driving, but can

make it look just as good by adjusting the monitor.

But with regards to XL vs XE these are screenshots of one of my XE's and my XL, the photo unfortunately shows

some bars on the XE, but you can't see those with your eyes, same with any noise on the XL

on screen, they are both perfect, must just be the phone camera being too good :).

I'm using S-Video with a cable I made myself, all internal wires have individual shields. 

XE first

IMG_20220618_141353.thumb.jpg.e7d4e618dacd52173f419596f78e6876.jpg

Then XL

IMG_20220618_142847.thumb.jpg.4a89f9a0b032846ad78db641603fbc6d.jpg

@Beeblebrox

In my experience, the NTSC XE's are much, much better than the stock 800XL's.  Over the years, I've seen that many PAL computer folks think the opposite.  Of course our NTSC 600XL's only have RF output, and that is even worse.  That 600XL video was a regrettable decision by Atari (although it can be fixed with a fair amount of effort).

My best video is from a 600XL that I modded to use the composite as chroma.  I couldn't tolerate that, so I tried a KJMann video board, and that wasn't very good either.  Then I found another mod by KJMann for the 600XL, and it became my very best Atari video.  Really clean -- absolutely rivals my UAV.  I've had two 800's.  The first one had a very good display with composite and S-Video.  The other was not good at all -- my stock XE's have better video than that one.  I'm going to try that XE Simple Video, though.  Certainly looks easy enough.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...