IGNORED

Female protagonist games

14 hours ago, DavidD said:

Er.... wasn't Ms. Pac-Man released earlier in the year?

Yes, in arcades but not on the 2600.  According to Wikipedia, Ms. Pac-Man made her arcade debut on Feb 3, 1982.  The 2600 port didn't come out until Feb 1983.  I guess I was thinking of mainly 2600 games when I responded.

As for Lady Bug, it's true the coin-op was released in late 1981.  I like that answer, but as far as I can tell, it's not definitive that you are controlling a female.  I question whether the main character is a female ladybug because, of course, they can be either sex and look basically the same.  Was the protagonist's sex ever given in 1981?

Edited by glazball

20 minutes ago, glazball said:

As for Lady Bug, it's true the coin-op was released in late 1981.  I like that answer, but as far as I can tell, it's not definitive that you are controlling a female.  I question whether the main character is a female ladybug because, of course, they can be either sex and look basically the same.  Was the protagonist's sex ever given in 1981?

Ports describe the character as being a "she" and "her", which I see no reason to doubt at this point.

QUv632H.jpg

It's reminiscent of Dolphin on the Atari 2600, where I think only way you'd even know the character is female is by looking either on the back cover or in the manual.

BVHc3UZ.png

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, TheDevil'sCompass said:

Here are a few for Sega Genesis:

Alisia Dragoon
Blades of Vengence
Cutie Suzuki no Ringside Angel
Golden Axe/Golden Axe II/Golden Axe III
Mortal Kombat series (also arcade)

El Viento is another one.

Pop'n Twinbee on SFC has the choice of being the girl for once in that one Gwinbee with the pink ship, also SFC too the Rainbow Bell Adventures you can use her too.  I can think of a pair of cute witches that would count, Willow the lead from the Cotton 100% franchise, but also Magical Chase (TG16+GBC.)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Pop'n Twinbee on SFC has the choice of being the girl for once in that one Gwinbee with the pink ship, also SFC too the Rainbow Bell Adventures you can use her too.  I can think of a pair of cute witches that would count, Willow the lead from the Cotton 100% franchise, but also Magical Chase (TG16+GBC.)

Also worth noting: Medal of Honor: Underground featuring Manon Batiste. One of the rare FPS games with female shooter protagonist.

xC2cq51.jpg

Edited by electricmastro

14 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Also worth noting: Medal of Honor: Underground featuring Manon Batiste. One of the rare FPS games with female shooter protagonist.

Very true I used to own that, good game especially for the age/platform it was on.  That Genesis spread  you did before that post of mine, I was going to call out Trouble Shooter, it does have Battlemania 2 as a JP sequel with them at it again though.

It also reminded me I need to try and track down El Viento and Earnest Evans at some point.  Gleylancer I got a very high quality bootleg of, price is a joke.  I should look into that Aleste game, and well, MW4 I think is on the Sega Mini isn't it?  Looked good, but for some odd reason I tire of MW games fairly fast despite them being fun, maybe it's the lack of direction.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Very true I used to own that, good game especially for the age/platform it was on.  That Genesis spread  you did before that post of mine, I was going to call out Trouble Shooter, it does have Battlemania 2 as a JP sequel with them at it again though.

It also reminded me I need to try and track down El Viento and Earnest Evans at some point.  Gleylancer I got a very high quality bootleg of, price is a joke.  I should look into that Aleste game, and well, MW4 I think is on the Sega Mini isn't it?  Looked good, but for some odd reason I tire of MW games fairly fast despite them being fun, maybe it's the lack of direction.

And of course I can't forget Vikki Grimm leading her own game in the Army Men universe.

Oh0OUx6.jpg

• Like 1

Cave girl time eh...ok how about the old dos game JILL OF THE JUNGLE (it's free permanently on gog, the whole series.)  https://www.gog.com/en/game/jill_of_the_jungle_the_complete_trilogy

I saw Shantae hadn't come up, other in passing about Monster World 4, so that's another.

Let's get real here, Street Fighter II is the poster child of the franchise 30 years later, and well... let's not ignore then Chun Li (or Cammy from Super SF2 either.)  And going into that realm of punch and kick play, Streets of Rage on Genesis had Blaze the brunette cop fighter in the mix of every release, never traded out.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Cave girl time eh...ok how about the old dos game JILL OF THE JUNGLE (it's free permanently on gog, the whole series.)  https://www.gog.com/en/game/jill_of_the_jungle_the_complete_trilogy

Well, Vikki is really just an everyday woman who dressed that way after visiting a jungle setting, so not quite "cave girl." That said, there have been quite a number of "warrior woman" protagonists throughout the years I've noticed.

muti1Ic.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheGameCollector said:

Oh yeah, I rarely hear anybody talk about Lady Sia for Game Boy Advance. It was an early title and covered in the first issue of Nintendo Power Advance.

And on Game Boy Color you've got Shantae.

Yeah, several female-led games on the Game Boy systems too:

AHX2MTK.jpg

wzCInQ6.jpg

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Top ones would prob be:

Super Metroid
The Longest Journey
M.U.S.H.A.
Monster World IV
Phantasy Star
Gun-Nac
Robo Aleste
Drakan: Order of the Flame
Gate of Thunder
Parasite Eve
Um Jammer Lammy
Tomb Raider II
Alisia Dragoon
The Guardian Legend
Mischief Makers
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Dino Crisis
Space Channel 5

• Like 1

4 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Top ones would prob be:

Super Metroid
The Longest Journey
M.U.S.H.A.
Monster World IV
Phantasy Star
Gun-Nac
Robo Aleste
Drakan: Order of the Flame
Gate of Thunder
Parasite Eve
Um Jammer Lammy
Tomb Raider II
Alisia Dragoon
The Guardian Legend
Mischief Makers
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Dino Crisis
Space Channel 5

They changed the protagonist on the NES version of Gun-Nac to be a guy. Not that it really matters that much. Many shmups have female protagonists that sometimes you can't even tell when playing the game.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2022 at 12:21 PM, glazball said:

It's come up in other threads, and though I can't personally confirm it's the first, the consensus is Wabbit (October 1982) is one of the first games ever that has you playing as a female protagonist - the farmer Billie Sue.  Certainly it's the first on an Atari system.

Ms. Pac-man was Jan 82