IGNORED

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration announced

Atariboy

I don't know if this has been covered already but are high scores permanently saved in all the games, or any of them? I'm still trying to figure out the save/load thing. I just want to be able to set a high score in Asteroids, leave the game entirely, come back in a year and see that same high score there with my initials next to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dudeguy said:

which version do you have?

The Xbox version.  I had more fun with this game last night. I think I put more hours into his game than many new games I've bought recently. I didn't expect this to be good at all or even keep my interest.  The Jaguar games are what made me bought it.  I hope more companies realize there's a real thirst for good compilations like this.

2 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Putting those games on a Jaguar mini would have been nice too. tho I'm sorta over the minis and that controller is too horrible 

I support a series of Jaguar compliations being made on disc/Switch cart/download. I don't need any more additional consoles lying around especially when most of the games file sizes are tiny and can fit on something that's smaller than a postage stamp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

The Xbox version.  I had more fun with this game last night. I think I put more hours into his game than many new games I've bought recently. I didn't expect this to be good at all or even keep my interest.  The Jaguar games are what made me bought it.  I hope more companies realize there's a real thirst for good compilations like this.

I really like Atari Karts. I think any kart game will always live in the shadow of Mario Kart but I really enjoyed this one even if I keep getting stuck on different elements of the track and have to do a complete 180 turn to get unstuck. idk why the game "sucks" other than "gaaahhh you ripped off my Mario damn you!!"

• Like 1

I thought it looks good and plays fine. Not familiar with any of the characters except Bentley bear. Guess what they don't do in this game? Scream, yell, and make loud baby noises that you can't turn off. Also I can't stand when people compare every single kart game to Mario kart. Nintendo did not invent the genrem I do like Mario kart but it's one of my least favorite series of kart racers now, mostly do due the horrific audio and bizarre comparisons to every kart racing game.  Sorry for that rant but I'm passionate about kart racing games lol. Ugh I need a life

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

I thought it looks good and plays fine. Not familiar with any of the characters except Bentley bear. Guess what they don't do in this game? Scream, yell, and make loud baby noises that you can't turn off. Also I can't stand when people compare every single kart game to Mario kart. Nintendo did not invent the genrem I do like Mario kart but it's one of my least favorite series of kart racers now, mostly do due the horrific audio and bizarre comparisons to every kart racing game.  Sorry for that rant but I'm passionate about kart racing games lol. Ugh I need a life

I literally can't think of any other kart games besides Mario and Crash. Diddy Kong (so basically Mario.) did Sonic have a Kart game?

7 hours ago, dudeguy said:

I literally can't think of any other kart games besides Mario and Crash. Diddy Kong (so basically Mario.) did Sonic have a Kart game?

Sonic has had several kart racing games:

Sonic Drift (Game Gear)

Sonic Drift 2 (Game Gear)

Sonic Racing Drift Up (Japanese cell phone)

Sonic Racing Kart (Japanese cell phone)

Sonic Kart 3D X (Japanese cell phone)
Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing (Wii, PS3, 360, DS, PC, mobile)

Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U, PS3, 360, 3DS, Vita, PC)

Team Sonic Racing (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC)

There are also three hoverboard racing games (Sonic Riders trilogy) and three on-foot racers (Sonic R and the two Sonic Rivals games).

12 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Also I can't stand when people compare every single kart game to Mario kart. Nintendo did not invent the genre

Who did invent the genre? I'm genuinely curious, I have no idea. Mostly because all of the games that have been mentioned have clearly been influenced by Mario Kart, whether you like it or not (which doesn't mean Mario Kart is the best, I give you that).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

Who did invent the genre? I'm genuinely curious, I have no idea. Mostly because all of the games that have been mentioned have clearly been influenced by Mario Kart, whether you like it or not (which doesn't mean Mario Kart is the best, I give you that).

I feel like this depends on how you define "kart racer."

I mean, the core of Super Mario Kart is "racing with items/weapons" -- I suppose things like Racing Construction Set and the RC Pro Am game by Rare predate it, but I'd find it hard to believe that anyone can seriously see the modern attempts at such games as being based on anything other than Mario Kart.

• Like 2

I’m quite certain Nintendo does not care whether or not you credit them with kicking off the “go kart video game genre,” but it seems ludicrous to try and say someone else kicked it off. 

If “first” were the only criteria for starting a genre, all the dubious “firsts” of Mattel Intellivision would matter a lot more than they actually do, Microsoft/Timex would be in the smartwatch business, and more people would pay homage to this “first” laptop computer. 

56635708-6B1C-452F-B5E2-8A474F638892.thumb.jpeg.8735b18e51eb860b498f8928593608ee.jpeg

• Like 2