IGNORED

Atari 1050 not working

naujoks

You might have the short version of the manual.  There are two of them out there.

1050fsm.pdf is the file name of the one I found that has quiet a bit more information and a cleaned up schematic.

I am still fighting my drive as well.  My situation is not a full failure and has become quite the pita.  I can see the problem on a scope but cannot figure out where its source is. I know more about 1050's than i wanted to.

Good luck with yours.

• Like 1

Thanks, I indeed only had the curtailed version of the manual.

Glad to see that the RAM check happens before seeking track 0.

I will now wait another few weeks for the replacement RAM.

Meanwhile I'm still wondering if shorting pin 1 and 2 of J10 is supposed to make the r/w move, irrespective of the control logic.

I wouldn't think so, all your doing is shorting out the track zero sensor and as the drive appears to be in a 

fault condition, then there should be no head movement.

For the head to move, the PIA (6532) needs to be controlled by the CPU as it's outputs drive the stepper motor

so if in a fault mode, I think the processor will be doing no more than spinning the disk.

It would be good to know under what conditions the motor just spins (no off and on). I always took that as a major fault that the code couldn't even complete enough test to get to the on/off failure.

See the problem here is that you just don't own enough 1050s.   You need at least a dozen :)

Ha! It's true, I only have one, clearly that's not enough. 

I'm quite optimistic that the RAM will make a difference. It's actually the first component I was able to test faulty.

Had my field service manual had all pages, I wouldn't have bought the FDCs first. 

3 hours ago, naujoks said:

Ha! It's true, I only have one, clearly that's not enough. 

I'm quite optimistic that the RAM will make a difference. It's actually the first component I was able to test faulty.

Had my field service manual had all pages, I wouldn't have bought the FDCs first. 

Folks, I know we are all using slightly different service manuals for the 1050.  But I reconstructed one from all the PDFs, hard copies, and stollen schematics I could find.  https://archive.org/details/1050FSMRebuiltAKH   if there are sections missing please let me know!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The 6810 RAM arrived today and now the drive WORKS! I'm so happy!

So it was only the RAM and nothing else.

Note to future fault finders: Work through the list of power on checkup in order!

Last two things: which part of the spindle motor can I lubricate to make it run a bit smoother?

Can the power transistors (or mosfets) be replaced with a modern, more efficient part? They run so hot!

• Like 2

You can use some sewing machine oil to lube the spindle.  The bearing in one of my drives were basically froze up. I used a combination of wd40 and sewing machine oil to free up the spindle bearings. 

Heat is pretty normal,  the reason for the big heatsink.  I have seen some use some switching regulators but many have had problems doing this with the noise the switching regulators were injecting into the system.  Replacing the electrolytic cap in the drive is probably a better use of your time and $$.  They seem to have a pretty high fail rate over time.

Just in case you may have not read there is a thread about the switching reg. It was at the end of a thread about a floppy drive that the OP was fixing and added the SW. reg and the drive failed to work... Turns out the OP e-mailed/called the company and found out there is a RF field around the devices and can cause trouble with the pick up heads of the drive.. Also the SW. reg do not like switching into a cap load (470uf, I think) so the OP had to take out the output cap's of the 5,0 and 12.0volt line... My xf551 has the problem also but have been doing other things so I have not got back to the problem with it..

The OP did get the drive working and a guess the heat problem was reduced ... I know the heat of the XF551 was way lower but the drive does not work...

Peter

• Like 1

Here is the latest video with most of the 8 BBS's listed at the logoff screen, I have to add the other 10 or so tomorrow, and add new 'key' and 'lock' screens , as well as welcome screens 

Here is the video: I am going home now: How I am contributing to the Atari Community

While I am not at the warehouse the BBS has been running now for 3 days , I will leave it up over night, as far as I know I have blocked the once thing that will crash it, the BBS listing.

So if you feel like testing it I will be at home with my laptop and I can quickly validate you, there are 700 or more MIDI files online, they list and load but when I go to download them I get control X character and it aborts. 

14 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

Here is the latest video with most of the 8 BBS's listed at the logoff screen, I have to add the other 10 or so tomorrow, and add new 'key' and 'lock' screens , as well as welcome screens 

Here is the video: I am going home now: How I am contributing to the Atari Community

While I am not at the warehouse the BBS has been running now for 3 days , I will leave it up over night, as far as I know I have blocked the once thing that will crash it, the BBS listing.

So if you feel like testing it I will be at home with my laptop and I can quickly validate you, there are 700 or more MIDI files online, they list and load but when I go to download them I get control X character and it aborts. 

???