IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

On 11/16/2022 at 6:02 PM, Matt_B said:

The Running Man is trademarked. You don't mess with trademarks no matter how generic they might look. The holders are practically obliged to sue you.

Also, if you're a small developer, merely defending a lawsuit is quite possibly going to bankrupt you, win or lose. That was the real tragedy of TxK; all the analysis was that Minter would win, but he chose not to fight the case because it would suck up too much of his time and money.

One for the "mildly interesting" category regarding the Running Man:

Back whenever I first started paying attention to the Amico trainwreck, I poked my head into the FB group and saw a recent post by the supposed artist. She said this was her original sketch.

Uu3qRJi.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

No, I had both cartridges for both of them long ago. I remembered them somewhat fondly, until my impressions of Intellivision were sullied by the new brand owners. 

Yeah, I'm a real mystery. This might help: I've played a lot of twin stick shooters by small indie developers on every modern platform, and I think this control method is well suited to this STYLE of game. The Mike Mika remakes are "reimaginings," not slavish replicas of the 1982 originals. I'd much rather play a new game in the STYLE and SPIRIT of the old game, but without the limitations of 1979 Mattel game design and technology. 

The original Night Stalker controls were particularly clunky:

"NOTE: The man can run and shoot, but he cannot do both at once! Also you can only fire off a shot when the man is standing still and he has the weapon." 

The Amico controller doesn't have the raised buttons for feedback like the original does. I'd personally rather not play this style of game with a touchscreen if there are only 4 directions of slow shooting action.

Intellivision Products tried to port the old game modern touch screen controls twice (once on their own, and once with VH1 branding), but it utterly failed both times. Nobody even bothered to review them. At the time, it felt as though I might have been the only Intellivision player to download them. They didn't last long. 

https://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/vh1-classic-presents-intellivision-for-ipad

https://toucharcade.com/2010/04/07/intellivision-released-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/

image.thumb.png.a3561f023e575955f76daf864d661d6a.pngimage.thumb.png.d3ad99c5927f25d45dfc5b56e926a15d.pngimage.png.8e9b8bc5c6b6a6be9fc2227a255105a7.png

I'll take it a step further: in 2022, it's hard to get me interested in single-screen score-chasing gameplay. To make this kind of loop more interesting, they could add meta game "roguelike" elements to it, where you advance and progress as you play through otherwise repetitive levels. 

Just one of dozens of examples:

Yes, it looks far more frantic and hyperactive than the old Mattel games, but it's more in line with the kind of games that Mike Mika has been developing in the last decade. 

With Intellivision Night Stalker you can run and shoot at the same time, by using both left and right controllers; not unlike Atari 5200/7800 Robotron.

Emulating videogames meant for game controllers on mobile touchscreen controls is almost always problematic.  An Amico controller has a physical directional pad and two physical buttons.  In the case of emulating Intellivision Night Stalker, the solution is not to emulate an Intellivision controller but could be to program the trackpad with swipe gestures that map to the four shoot actions.

Talking about Intellivision Night Stalker and AD&D controls and gameplay do not really apply to the Amico discussion.  Amico Night Stalker and Cloudy Mountain are new games with controls programmed directly to the Amico controller.  Intellivision Night Stalker has the player advance through different robots until you face the invisible robot and is the end for most people. Intellivision AD&D has no score and ends when the player finds the crown pieces.  Amico Night Stalker is only partially complete and we've only seen half of the levels that have been completed.  And we've seen very little of Cloudy Mountain, which is supposedly done.

Amico Cloudy Mountain is the group adventure game where you collect items for your quest.  Amico Night Stalker is a multiplayer shooter where a fixed view field suits the type of local multiplayer game and audience they are targeting.

Edited by mr_me

1 hour ago, Buffalo Biff Burgertime said:

Back whenever I first started paying attention to the Amico trainwreck, I poked my head into the FB group and saw a recent post by the supposed artist. She said this was her original sketch.

Uu3qRJi.jpg

Now that's really cool.

5 minutes ago, Austin said:

That Hbomberguy video was pure gold. Highly recommended viewing.

Oh totally worth it. Also points out some problematic lies he said during the Amico saga that only the biggest of idiots would defend.

What is funny is it still didn't have everything in it. We know it is missing the Yankees HOF lie. Lol

Just remember, when Tommy says something to make himself look better. It's more likely a lie.

What a hack.

:D

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Buffalo Biff Burgertime said:

I poked my head into the FB group and saw a recent post by the supposed artist. She said this was her original sketch.

I love that piece of history, thanks!

That led me to check into trademarks, and 78862893 is the applicable one. The design search code is kind of amusing:

02.01.33 - Grotesque men formed by letters, numbers, punctuation or geometric shapes ; Stick figures
02.09.05 - Humans, including men, women and children, depicted running ; Running, humans

There's the lesser-known "running man" graphic that appeared in Mattel's short-lived Aquarius that was eventually sold back to Radofin, which itself dissolved. This one should be fair game 😛

image.png.d14212599f360591256fc77057ab7d16.png

Edited by MattPilz
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 11:32 PM, Astro Rabby said:

Wasn't there an Earthworm Jim game announced to be exclusive for this? These new digital consoles always felt like a grift to me anyway.

There was 2 videos put out by Intellivision. One of a running animation of Jim and one that shows an incredibly brief bit of gameplay. Both are gone off the Amico's YouTube channel from what I can see, though other users have the gameplay video still uploaded. Intellivision's Facebook page still has it posted though.

Watch | Facebook

Facebook

It actually generated a decent amount of buzz on Facebook at the time when IGN initially posted it. Intellivision could've maybe had something cool going on with a $150 console with a bunch of brand new SNES/Sega Genesis style platformers on it, and it had potential at the very beginning to be a cool little niche device, which is why at the very start I was somewhat interested (albeit skeptical, as I am with any new hardware that isn't from the big 3 Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft). Unfortunately @Tommy Tallarico just completely messed everything up in the absolute worst way possible.

image.thumb.png.90146233e9335b9b502c7f2c51ae291b.png

Edited by Pink
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Buffalo Biff Burgertime said:

Some context would be helpful because those sprites weren't used in the 1978 NFL Football cartridge.  There were two other Intellivision football games that weren't released.

Mattel artist Dave James is usually credited for the running man animation.

image.png.944bee444a5f8319e8ef4f04f89d3892.png

17 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

After 18 hours it already has over 478,000 views.

Before this the most viewed Amico video on YouTube is the reveal trailer with over 325,000. The second has over 165,000 and only seven Amico YouTube videos altogether have over 100,000 views. Has the real marketing finally started?

Also saw this comment too on the video. I take everything I see like this on the internet (especially a YouTube comment no less) with a grain of salt (but that's just me) But I would not be surprised in the slightest if he's telling the truth.

image.thumb.png.654c6caead57cb50cb13baf8d4a8327a.png

Edited by Pink
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Some more Tommy claims...

Seems to be a reoccurring pattern of claiming "firsts" for things. That concert stage opened in 2003 and had acts like Nickelback during that same year, which was two years before Video Games Live had their first concert and five years before they performed there.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

Some more Tommy claims...

Is anything he says true? Can someone actually find the ties to him actually being related to Steven Tyler?

Joey Kuras is probably the one who is cousins with Steven Tyler.

The way that he voluntarily decides to interrupt the guy to blatantly lie is absolutely bizarre. Like, it would be bad enough if he was asked about playing there and made that claim, but to stop someone when they're taking in order to bring up a story and lie about it so that you have something to brag about is just so weird.

Why couldn't he have just said "Oh we were talking about Future Shop, we actually played there in 2008 which was cool!", you know, tell the truth. Going to the lengths he does to make shit up... so strange.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

It’s hard to tell if he was just trying to be funny, but the guy would type FIRST! in the comments of all their promo videos, hours before they were made public. 

I think I might have been FIRST! along with @SegaSnatcher in receiving forum moderator smack down for disrespecting that “veritable industry icon.” 🤢🤮

He's an icon, all right. It's just that he's the Trash Can. 😀

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, MattPilz said:

Seems to be a reoccurring pattern of claiming "firsts" for things. That concert stage opened in 2003 and had acts like Nickelback during that same year, which was two years before Video Games Live had their first concert and five years before they performed there.

Don't be a JUG!

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

It’s hard to tell if he was just trying to be funny, but the guy would type FIRST! in the comments of all their promo videos, hours before they were made public. 

I think I might have been FIRST! along with @SegaSnatcher in receiving forum moderator smack down for disrespecting that “veritable industry icon.” 🤢🤮

You are such a JUG!

1 hour ago, SteveTheColecoDude said:

The way that he voluntarily decides to interrupt the guy to blatantly lie is absolutely bizarre. Like, it would be bad enough if he was asked about playing there and made that claim, but to stop someone when they're taking in order to bring up a story and lie about it so that you have something to brag about is just so weird.

Why couldn't he have just said "Oh we were talking about Future Shop, we actually played there in 2008 which was cool!", you know, tell the truth. Going to the lengths he does to make shit up... so strange.

You know I wonder how much trouble he could get in for saying these lies about himself in order to make Amico look like it was ran by someone competent? I know the Neil Patel video is definitely slimey and has shady claims in it. What about all those interviews that had lie after lie while also promoting the Amico? I doubt it is as serious but I wonder since him lying about his accomplishments and talking up Amico were done together.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

You know I wonder how much trouble he could get in for saying these lies about himself in order to make Amico look like it was ran by someone competent? I know the Neil Patel video is definitely slimey and has shady claims in it. What about all those interviews that had lie after lie while also promoting the Amico? I doubt it is as serious but I wonder since him lying about his accomplishments and talking up Amico were done together.

I imagine they definitely could cause him to get in trouble. Making himself look like he's achieved more than he has and having more connections to famous/successful people than he does could have been a big part in convincing people to invest. The thing saving him all this time, has been that such a small amount of people have cared about Amico, that there hasn't neem enough eyes on his claims and all the stuff he said to garner enough attention.

Now that a Youtuber with over a million subscribers who gets 5+ million views on his videos has done a two hour deep dive dedicated to Tommy it could be a big moment.

And for years it's been known about Tommy being Tommy and there being all sorts of stories about him (hence all his bridges in the industry being burnt long ago), but it's never really been talked about publicly by anyone of note because nobody has wanted to cause any drama. Maybe now hbomberguy has done this video, others will feel less pressure to speak up.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, SteveTheColecoDude said:

I imagine they definitely could cause him to get in trouble. Making himself look like he's achieved more than he has and having more connections to famous/successful people than he does could have been a big part in convincing people to invest. The thing saving him all this time, has been that such a small amount of people have cared about Amico, that there hasn't neem enough eyes on his claims and all the stuff he said to garner enough attention.

Now that a Youtuber with over a million subscribers who gets 5+ million views on his videos has done a two hour deep dive dedicated to Tommy it could be a big moment.

And for years it's been known about Tommy being Tommy and there being all sorts of stories about him (hence all his bridges in the industry being burnt long ago), but it's never really been talked about publicly by anyone of note because nobody has wanted to cause any drama. Maybe now hbomberguy has done this video, others will feel less pressure to speak up.

It would be interesting to hear more that is out there. I think hbomber will now be in the hater folder for sure.

I do feel for the guy for going down the rabbit hole. I had been through the ego thread enough and watched enough Amico interviews to tell he was lying most if not all the time. I still don't get how some people can't see it. Most of his lies can easily be disproven with simple searches. Unfortunately he shows many signs of pathological narcissism. You can read some about it here and decide for yourself.

https://www.choosingtherapy.com/malignant-narcissist/

Which goes back to why people probably have avoided talking publicly about his behavior. They don't want to deal with him and I don't blame them.

I started watching this trainwreck being excited for a simple family oriented game console, and now find it interesting from a psychological and sociological perspective.

Intellivision screwed Intellivision. Tommy did the most damage, but the others had the ability to out him sooner and didn't. So they are just as dumb, just in a different way. I do hope this recent video gets more attention on people like Joey Kuras who do the work and aren't an attention seeking man child.

• Like 3