IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

2 hours ago, Tommy2D said:

Here's the recap, on the off-chance that you aren't doing an extended performance-art installation. 

@Tommy Tallarico, along with some like-minded investors, acquired a controlling share of Intellivision Entertainment (IE).  IE engaged a designer to produce an "interesting" controller that is a modern take on the classic Intellivision disc-based controllers.  Tommy and Co. also designed the Amico console to be the "centerpiece of your living room" with a questionable number of flashing LEDs along with very modest hardware.  The processing power of the Amico is roughly equivalent of a smart phone, which cost $100, circa 2017.  Remember, that was the cost of the WHOLE smartphone, not just the system-on-a-chip (CPU/GPU).  Of course, processing power wasn't supposed to matter because the Amico games would be simple and focus on family-friendly-group-oriented gameplay. That concept seemed to hit a snag when videos of Amico gameplay appeared to struggle with hitting 30/fps. 

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: IE hired some notable names from the video game industry.  Initially, IE appeared to have venture-capital funding and would not require anything resembling crowd-funding to launch.  I still didn't think that the Amico was likely to succeed but the apparent vote-of-confidence from venture capitalists did lend the perception of credibility.  Although, that veil of credibility started to crumble when IE did start reaching out to the general public for financing.  Tommy told us all that "The Rocket Ship has been built but we just need the fuel to take off!!!".  To IE's credit, they raised around $17 million dollars.  It seemed like enough to launch a niche console, especially since Tommy repeatedly boasted about having major orders, in the bag, from retailers along with a robust $100 million dollar line of credit! 

Somewhere along the line, Tommy gave six sextillion interviews with anyone who owned a webcam. He also posted, on Atari Age, frequently.  He would engage with just about anyone who showed interest in the project, including me, and he would veer (sometimes wildly) between warm and welcoming and vindictive and vitriolic.  Lots and lots of debate occurred about whether Amico would find its niche and Tommy literally compiled a folder of "haters".  IE also worked with a group of relatively low-level youtubers to actively promote the Amico.  There are some accounts that IE dangled the prospect of jobs to these Youtubers if the system found success.  That would explain some of the more bizarre behavior from some of the active promoters, on social media. 

Ultimately, IE made poor management choices (COVID didn't help) and appears to have very little resources left with which they could deliver the illusive Amico.  At least two Amico titles (Astrosmash and Shark! Shark!) will be available on Steam/Switch and other titles should be available on Mobile under the puzzling banner of "Amico Home".  

In short, if you are interested in trying any of the games - get your Switch/Steam/Mobile accounts ready.  If you truly want the full Amico experience...don't hold your breath.  

The cell phone was 2016, so stop spreading MISINFORMATION 🤣 

I would argue there wasn't any debate. It was let Tommy spew everywhere with no evidence, while yelling at others for having an opinion that was not in line with thinking Tommy was the bee's knees. I mean I had a currated list of CUPodcast Amico segments sensors while Tommy posted many videos from his Amicophants saying Pat was wrong, etc and those weren't censored. :P

It was ridiculous, but time has shown that those of us who had small concerns to be valid. Tommy never made good on any of his claims. Not one.

It is sad to see some carrying water for him after being demonstrably a liar who was innept at best or criminal at worst.

It really can be a treat to go through those old threads to see how desperate he was and would push any lie if he thought it could net him a buck. He used AA and it was kind of sad to see it happen. But good news is he isn't around mucking it up anymore!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I would argue there wasn't any debate. It was let Tommy spew everywhere with no evidence, while yelling at others for having an opinion that was not in line with thinking Tommy was the bee's knees. I mean I had a currated list of CUPodcast Amico segments sensors while Tommy posted many videos from his Amicophants saying Pat was wrong, etc and those weren't censored. :P

It was ridiculous, but time has shown that those of us who had small concerns to be valid. Tommy never made good on any of his claims. Not one.

It is sad to see some carrying water for him after being demonstrably a liar who was innept at best or criminal at worst.

It really can be a treat to go through those old threads to see how desperate he was and would push any lie if he thought it could net him a buck. He used AA and it was kind of sad to see it happen. But good news is he isn't around mucking it up anymore!

I do miss the days of the "REAL REAL REAL REALLY REAL AMICO Thread", after the main thread was locked-down as a super-fun-time-happy-thoughts-only zone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

This much I understand. Some users here where not happy with my stance that I like the clean family concept of the amico and hope that it would succeed even if Tommy is a flawed character. For me it is absolutly fine if others aren't happy with my positions, so it's absolutly fine. I did accuse them of being overly negative, so this didn't help and I understand that. Maybe I was too positive and the negativity is adequate since Tommy seems to have gotten money out of people under false pretence. It is not a situation I understnad enough about to judge. I hope for the best outcome for all, but I also understand that there is bad blood.

I guess that’s one way to describe how you “joined” our community. In reality, you insulted people who had money stolen, openly worshipped TT (literally, in your awful “essay”), and victim blamed everyone. Here’s an idea- if you’re unable or unwilling to “understand the situation enough”, maybe stop giving your opinions on it. And I’m sorry… do you think TT is gonna help you program your self insert SNES game? This is either bad performance art, a troll, or you are a shill wearing an ill-fitting disguise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, jerseystyle said:

I guess that’s one way to describe how you “joined” our community. In reality, you insulted people who had money stolen,

That wasn't my intention. I just said that there is a lot of negativity around this subject, and wanted to introduce a more positive perspective.

openly worshipped TT (literally, in your awful “essay”),

Worshipped? This is hyperbolic speaking.

and victim blamed everyone.

This as well. I was very reasonable.

Here’s an idea- if you’re unable or unwilling to “understand the situation enough”, maybe stop giving your opinions on it.

Well I did. I am mainly asking about it now. If I shouldn't be allowed to speak about it in you opinion, may I at least ask?

And I’m sorry… do you think TT is gonna help you program your self insert SNES game? This is either bad performance art, a troll, or you are a shill wearing an ill-fitting disguise.

I believe in the goodness of everyone.

On 6/5/2023 at 7:42 PM, rayik said:

@MrBeefy Where does the Amico talk start?

On 6/5/2023 at 11:55 PM, MrBeefy said:

An hour in. Probably slightly over that.

1:12:30

One hour 12 minutes and 30 seconds in roughly

Edited by Pink
  • Thanks 2

All of you people that are criticizing Cornhole's physics in Mullis' latest video, how many of you have actually played it yourself??? 🤡

🤣🤣🤣

nick played it.png

Edited by Pink
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

I believe in the goodness of everyone.

Yeah here’s the problem. Believe whatever you want, but you roll in here a few months ago, throw around the insults, and ask us to prove to you that TT wasn’t a wonderful dude. You did this even though we have been over this, and over this, multiple times over the past two years. So when people did that and gave you facts (or told you where to look) you said “oh I didn’t know that” or “I don’t have time to look into that”. Now a few months go by and you’re doing the same thing again. You can say or believe whatever you want but it’s the height of arrogance and trolling to keep coming back with “but what’d he DO, exactly, he seems nice.”  Being a Sea Lion gets pretty old.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning

image.thumb.png.700b962fab2ddf777bf236f2a0b767de.png

You wanna hang out with the guy, easy… ask the YouTube shills to hook you up, maybe send him some money. But no need to drag us all into your fantasy. By the way, go back and read your “essay”. At the end you claim only TT can save the industry from whatever boogey man you made up. That doesn’t strike you as a tad hyperbolic?

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Tommy2D said:

Here's the recap, on the off-chance that you aren't doing an extended performance-art installation. 

@Tommy Tallarico, along with some like-minded investors, acquired a controlling share of Intellivision Entertainment (IE).  IE engaged a designer to produce an "interesting" controller that is a modern take on the classic Intellivision disc-based controllers.  Tommy and Co. also designed the Amico console to be the "centerpiece of your living room" with a questionable number of flashing LEDs along with very modest hardware.  The processing power of the Amico is roughly equivalent of a smart phone, which cost $100, circa 2017.  Remember, that was the cost of the WHOLE smartphone, not just the system-on-a-chip (CPU/GPU).  Of course, processing power wasn't supposed to matter because the Amico games would be simple and focus on family-friendly-group-oriented gameplay. That concept seemed to hit a snag when videos of Amico gameplay appeared to struggle with hitting 30/fps. 

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: IE hired some notable names from the video game industry.  Initially, IE appeared to have venture-capital funding and would not require anything resembling crowd-funding to launch.  I still didn't think that the Amico was likely to succeed but the apparent vote-of-confidence from venture capitalists did lend the perception of credibility.  Although, that veil of credibility started to crumble when IE did start reaching out to the general public for financing.  Tommy told us all that "The Rocket Ship has been built but we just need the fuel to take off!!!".  To IE's credit, they raised around $17 million dollars.  It seemed like enough to launch a niche console, especially since Tommy repeatedly boasted about having major orders, in the bag, from retailers along with a robust $100 million dollar line of credit! 

Somewhere along the line, Tommy gave six sextillion interviews with anyone who owned a webcam. He also posted, on Atari Age, frequently.  He would engage with just about anyone who showed interest in the project, including me, and he would veer (sometimes wildly) between warm and welcoming and vindictive and vitriolic.  Lots and lots of debate occurred about whether Amico would find its niche and Tommy literally compiled a folder of "haters".  IE also worked with a group of relatively low-level youtubers to actively promote the Amico.  There are some accounts that IE dangled the prospect of jobs to these Youtubers if the system found success.  That would explain some of the more bizarre behavior from some of the active promoters, on social media. 

Ultimately, IE made poor management choices (COVID didn't help) and appears to have very little resources left with which they could deliver the illusive Amico.  At least two Amico titles (Astrosmash and Shark! Shark!) will be available on Steam/Switch and other titles should be available on Mobile under the puzzling banner of "Amico Home".  

In short, if you are interested in trying any of the games - get your Switch/Steam/Mobile accounts ready.  If you truly want the full Amico experience...don't hold your breath.  

12 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

The Snapdragon 450, announced in 2017, would be the equivalent phone SoC to what was specified in the Amico. The 2016 phone mentioned for early developers has a weaker cpu/gpu and may have been a $100 phone. The Moto G6 with a Snapdragon 450 came out in 2018 at a price of $250.  Other phones with that chip that came out in 2019 and 2020 may have been cheaper.

Edited by mr_me

9 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

throw around the insults

Can you provide me a quote.

, and ask us to prove to you that TT wasn’t a wonderful dude.

Isn't to unreasonable to me.

You did this even though we have been over this, and over this, multiple times over the past two years.

Okay, I am sorry that I am not clued in on your positions on Tommy Tallarico.

So when people did that and gave you facts (or told you where to look) you said “oh I didn’t know that” or “I don’t have time to look into that”.

I am thankful for the facts on Tommy Tallarico and happy to know more about his situation.

Now a few months go by and you’re doing the same thing again.

I was just asking if that's his real account on this site.

You can say or believe whatever you want but it’s the height of arrogance and trolling to keep coming back with “but what’d he DO, exactly, he seems nice.”  Being a Sea Lion gets pretty old.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning

I don't know what to tell you.

image.thumb.png.700b962fab2ddf777bf236f2a0b767de.png

You wanna hang out with the guy, easy… ask the YouTube shills to hook you up, maybe send him some money. But no need to drag us all into your fantasy. By the way, go back and read your “essay”. At the end you claim only TT can save the industry from whatever boogey man you made up. That doesn’t strike you as a tad hyperbolic?

Okay I'm going to read it again, and check whether your characterisation is a fair representation. Fair enough?

19 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Gaming racism, darkness, terror... Is there any hope? Only, in the ancient legends it is stated, that one day a friend shall be chosen to leave the gaming racism behind, in pilgrimage, to release the Intellivison Amico...

Tallarico.

Okay, reading this again, I can see what you mean by worshipping Tallarico. My idea here was, that I was under the impression that Tallarico was treated a bit unfairly by some. I also was hoping for another contendor to get in the console market to bring fresh air. More comeptition. I felt that the negativity (I understand that it has good reasons) was a bad enviroment to create a climate to invite new entrepreneurs into the field to challenge the PS5, xbox and switch.

Now that I am more educated on the subject, I understand that my hopes and dreams that Tallarico can make this happen were misguided. I understand that this was frustrating to you, and I agree that my position does no longer make sense since I have been informed about his demonstrated weaknesses and also his moral flexibility.

Me asking whether or not Tallaricos account on here is truely the real Tallarico wasn't meant to question your narritive as a whole.

In another post I have written that I want to cover the failure of the amico under Tallaricos reign. I hope you can appreciate this as sign that I have changed my position.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

Okay, reading this again, I can see what you mean by worshipping Tallarico. My idea here was, that I was under the impression that Tallarico was treated a bit unfairly by some. I also was hoping for another contendor to get in the console market to bring fresh air. More comeptition. I felt that the negativity (I understand that it has good reasons) was a bad enviroment to create a climate to invite new entrepreneurs into the field to challenge the PS5, xbox and switch.

Now that I am more educated on the subject, I understand that my hopes and dreams that Tallarico can make this happen were misguided. I understand that this was frustrating to you, and I agree that my position does no longer make sense since I have been informed about his demonstrated weaknesses and also his moral flexibility.

Me asking whether or not Tallaricos account on here is truely the real Tallarico wasn't meant to question your narritive as a whole.

In another post I have written that I want to cover the failure of the amico under Tallaricos reign. I hope you can appreciate this as sign that I have changed my position.

A phrase in the US is "To take the L (or loss") when comes to a debate position that isn't defensible.  I think an "L" needs to be taken here- no more posts really need to be made about it, because what else is there to say?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

A phrase in the US is "To take the L (or loss") when comes to a debate position that isn't defensible.  I think an "L" needs to be taken here- no more posts really need to be made about it, because what else is there to say?

I have no issue on taking the 'L' here. I was driven by passion and hopes and it was not well informed on my end. I am thankful for the infromation I got here as well as all the info I get on atariage. Just because I take a position doesn't mean I can't change my mind. I understand that this can be frustrating to some, but that is not my intention.

I can apreciate the passion people have in this thread about gaming. The disappointment may also indicate that there was hope in the Amico, but flawed characters like Tallarico made critical mistakes and had moral flexibility. It is really sobering to be let down by someone like that. But still I can see the passion in those who pariticipate in this thread and it appeals to me. I share this passion but it might be misdirected. I want to make a SNES game with mode 0 technology, and maybe that is just not a realistic goal. That's okay. We can make mistakes, but we have to try. Moral flexibility on the other hand is hard to justify and I hope that @Tommy Tallaricocan change his ways. Again this might be misguided, but it is my hope. Goethes Faust greatness in not because he is a flawless character, but because he decides to do the right thing eventually despite all his failings. Now I am not saying that it is a realistic expectation that Tommy will change his ways soon and make the Amico happen, but maybe some day he will find a better way. I hope so, even if it may be misguided.

Edited by Creamhoven
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Creamhoven said:

Goethes Faust greatness in not because he is a flawless character, but because he decides to do the right thing eventually despite all his failings. Now I am not saying that it is a realistic expectation that Tommy will change his ways soon and make the Amico happen, but maybe some day he will find a better way. I hope so, even if it may be misguided.

Tommy would tell you that Johann Wolfgang von Goethe was a dear, close friend of his and give us some fun facts like  -- he (Tommy) worked closely with Goethe to help with the first draft of Faust, was the first American to ever help create German literature in the 1820s, and the whole concept of the "deal with the devil" was based on a sound effect he created while helping Van Halen write "Running With the Devil."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

I have no issue on taking the 'L' here. I was driven by passion and hopes and it was not well informed on my end. I am thankful for the infromation I got here as well as all the info I get on atariage. Just because I take a position doesn't mean I can't change my mind. I understand that this can be frustrating to some, but that is not my intention.

I can apreciate the passion people have in this thread about gaming. The disappointment may also indicate that there was hope in the Amico, but flawed characters like Tallarico made critical mistakes and had moral flexibility. It is really sobering to be let down by someone like that. But still I can see the passion in those who pariticipate in this thread and it appeals to me. I share this passion but it might be misdirected. I want to make a SNES game with mode 0 technology, and maybe that is just not a realistic goal. That's okay. We can make mistakes, but we have to try. Moral flexibility on the other hand is hard to justify and I hope that @Tommy Tallaricocan change his ways. Again this might be misguided, but it is my hope. Goethes Faust greatness in not because he is a flawless character, but because he decides to do the right thing eventually despite all his failings. Now I am not saying that it is a realistic expectation that Tommy will change his ways soon and make the Amico happen, but maybe some day he will find a better way. I hope so, even if it may be misguided.

Sigh… and you were SO close but just had to get in the last word again… Holy shit dude did you just compare TT with Faust (the guy that signed a deal with the devil, raped a girl, killed her brother and the baby from said rape, and causes the death of her mother… I could go on) in a positive way? Jesus, you really DON’T care about morality or ethics at all do you? Why do you want a family friendly system if you think a Faustian bargain is considered a good thing? You obviously don’t believe in ethics so much as redemption, in the hamfisted “I apologize so accept it and move on” bullying style seen often. Sad take, dude.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Tommy would tell you that Johann Wolfgang von Goethe was a dear, close friend of his and give us some fun facts like  -- he (Tommy) worked closely with Goethe to help with the first draft of Faust, was the first American to ever help create German literature in the 1820s, and the whole concept of the "deal with the devil" was based on a sound effect he created while helping Van Halen write "Running With the Devil."

Yeah this dude just can’t let go this “Tommy as savior” thing.

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Like 1

Even if Tommy had delivered literally everything he promised with the Amico we still wouldn't have another "competitor" to Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. The Amico's most optimistic, wildest dreams of lifetime success would still be a minuscule percentage of a single year's worth of the third place console's sales. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Sigh… and you were SO close but just had to get in the last word again… Holy shit dude did you just compare TT with Faust (the guy that signed a deal with the devil, raped a girl, killed her brother and the baby from said rape, and causes the death of her mother… I could go on) in a positive way? Jesus, you really DON’T care about morality or ethics at all do you? Why do you want a family friendly system if you think a Faustian bargain is considered a good thing? You obviously don’t believe in ethics so much as redemption, in the hamfisted “I apologize so accept it and move on” bullying style seen often. Sad take, dude.

Dang, I need to read Faust.  It sounds more engaging than Farkle. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

The Picture of Dorian Gray, which has similar themes, is probably more relevant to the Amico phenomenon. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorian_Gray_syndrome

I did read that one, back in High School.  If I recall correctly, there was an interesting passage about opium dens. Now that's got me thinking about the book "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck and the opium den scene, in "Tombstone". Now that I think about it: Tombstone has a little  scene-within-a-scene that provides a primer on Faust.

I bet that Tombstone is playing, on TBS or TNT, right now. 

https://youtu.be/3GIuogzhsvU?t=160

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, famicommander said:

Even if Tommy had delivered literally everything he promised with the Amico we still wouldn't have another "competitor" to Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. The Amico's most optimistic, wildest dreams of lifetime success would still be a minuscule percentage of a single year's worth of the third place console's sales. 

Absolutely. I don't think a lot of people appreciate the scale of modern consoles. A bog average single week of sales for one of the big three (100 - 300k+) would have been a blockbuster two to three years of total sales for something like Amico. 

Edited by Bill Loguidice
Miswrote month instead of week.
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Absolutely. I don't think a lot of people appreciate the scale of modern consoles. A bog average single week of sales for one of the big three (100 - 300k+) would have been a blockbuster two to three years of total sales for something like Amico. 

Makes me wonder how many Evercades are in the wild, and how many unique customers bought one.

I know they sold out several 5000 unit runs of the various special edition machines. And obviously there are many people that have bought multiple systems (I myself have the OG handheld, a white VS, and a white EXP).

• Like 3